problems with one contact?

JGR4444

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
So recently my girlfriend and i have been having issues with my droid receiving over 160 characters. It randomly decided to start splitting them and then sending an extra message saying that it did so... kind of like the old blackberries use to send out if they were receiving over 160... but pictures are also not coming through. The weird thing is... i am not having issues with anyone else and she is not having issues with anyone else. She can send and receive 160+ and pictures easy with anyone else.... as can i

is there such things as certain contacts just having issues with eachother and if so is there any way to fix it?

Fahrenheit

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
That's the way it's supposed to work. The SMS protocol has a character limit of 160, so if you go over that, it sends 2 messages.

If you're having trouble sending pictures though, maybe try deleting all text messages in your phone, or all messages from the one contact.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
IIRC, it SHOULD convert it to an MMS message on outgoing messages, but I don't think it does that for incoming. (since the phone has no idea how long the message is)

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
So recently my girlfriend and i have been having issues with my droid receiving over 160 characters. It randomly decided to start splitting them and then sending an extra message saying that it did so... kind of like the old blackberries use to send out if they were receiving over 160... but pictures are also not coming through. The weird thing is... i am not having issues with anyone else and she is not having issues with anyone else. She can send and receive 160+ and pictures easy with anyone else.... as can i

is there such things as certain contacts just having issues with eachother and if so is there any way to fix it?

What you are experiencing is normal when someone on a CDMA carrier such as Verizon (you) receives what was originally a very long text message from someone on a GSM carrier (ATT or Tmo). As has been stated this is the expected behavior and is perfectly normal.