Google Talk issue

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if this has anything to do with the 2.1 update I did the other day or not but I just noticed today that Google Talk (called Talk in 2.1) crashes every time I access it. The window seems to open up and then blam I am at the home screen again. No error or anything.

This only happens with Talk and I'm a bit concerned since this is one of the preloaded apps.

Anyone else experience this? Any ideas?

I rebooted the phone and now the window comes up all the way but still crashes.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
OK so I did some looking around and my first thought that was maybe the Talk executable was missing or corrupted when I do try to open talk there is no entry in the error log.

I opened Astro and navigated to /system/app were all of the other executables are and sure enough there were two files named talk. One being the executable and the other a data file of some kind.

So not sure what else to do I rebooted the phone and reloaded with the X+camera button followed by the camera button + volume trick.

The first thing I did was select the wipe cache partition and then rebooted the phone,

No suck luck. Talk still crashes.

Is it possoble there is a permissions issue? That's why I looked in the error log.

Two things I noticed when I was on this screen

1 Across the bottom there is a message E:Cant open /cache/recovery/command. Now this message has always been there as far as I know. It was there when I did the original upgrade a couple days ago.

2. option apply sdcard:update.zip is still present. Now it is my understanding that this file was supposed to be deleted during the upgrade and when I checked with Astro sure enough it was still there in the /sdcard directory.

Any thoughts on this? Should I try the flash again? I haven't noticed any other problems other than this one app not working.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
OK now this is wierd. I was getting the message that I was running out of memory and removed 3 good sized apps that I rarely used and now Talk works, so it appears to have been a memory issue but the question is:

Why didn't it leave any traces in the error log and yes other entries were made in the log at the time

meson2000

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I have the tbolt and I have the same issue with gtalk crashing immediately upon launch. the only fix I can do is reboot the phone and it starts working again for a while, but eventually it will crash and I will have to do another reboot to fix the problem. Were you able to come up with a cause of the problem other than 'running out of memory?' Thanks.

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I have had similar issues with google talk and all resulting from low memory issues. I recommend you guys use apps2sd to move all the apps you can to the sd card so that it will free up memory on your phone, I used to get the low memory warnings when restoring using TiBu and thats what made me realize it was causing conflicts for a few apps. Ever since using apps2sd I havent had any nonoccurrence of the apps crashing.