Caller ID pics, but via Facebook?

Mr Mayor

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Mornin gang and Happy Oyster! :rolleyes:

Mounted the Droid to the Win7 PC this morning in the hopes of copying friends Facebook pictures onto the Droid, and use them as caller ID...

No success.

Copied all pics (all .jpeg/jpg's). Not really large size. Going into the "new-since update" gallery not only can't I find the pics I copied, but it appears I've wiped out the thumbnail views and pics No, I did not overwrite them... (I can still see thrm thru the PC though). Not worried so much about this honestly..

So I cut the pictures I copied from the DCIM folder and pasted them into the MEDIA folder instead.. still no success.. the MEDIA folder was from a previous request/troubleshooting effort, but noted no "photo" folder there, so I created "PICS". (Probably not a good idea either I imagine)

1) Can this be done like this?
2) Where's my error?
3) Did I roast my pictures thumbnail view (or worse?)-Again not really worried here.
4) Can this be done w/o picking up a sd card?

Thanks gang!

MM

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
Have you tried downloading the facebook application, then during set up you can configure it to import your facebook content into your current phonebook and it will update the pictures for you.

Rudolphe

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Mornin gang and Happy Oyster! :rolleyes:

Mounted the Droid to the Win7 PC this morning in the hopes of copying friends Facebook pictures onto the Droid, and use them as caller ID...

No success.

Copied all pics (all .jpeg/jpg's). Not really large size. Going into the "new-since update" gallery not only can't I find the pics I copied, but it appears I've wiped out the thumbnail views and pics No, I did not overwrite them... (I can still see thrm thru the PC though). Not worried so much about this honestly..

So I cut the pictures I copied from the DCIM folder and pasted them into the MEDIA folder instead.. still no success.. the MEDIA folder was from a previous request/troubleshooting effort, but noted no "photo" folder there, so I created "PICS". (Probably not a good idea either I imagine)

1) Can this be done like this?
2) Where's my error?
3) Did I roast my pictures thumbnail view (or worse?)-Again not really worried here.
4) Can this be done w/o picking up a sd card?

Thanks gang!

MM

Log into the facebook app on your phone, some of them will be populated automatically. The ones that aren't, you can edit the contact and select JOIN... once you do that you can choose which facebook contact to merge your phone contact with. Viola, pictures!

Mr Mayor

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, I have Facebook on my phone since day one... can I remove and re-add it to get the contacts? (Wait, wasnt Facebook included? Or is there ANOTHER app I need to download?) Otherwise I have yet to see a method for synching/set as/download...

My other issue is:
Most of my contacts are entered by "nickname", for example our nick names here, (I too own a forum)..
So Dakota= Jon
MudsMyName= Kevin
BigCatDave = Dave and so on...

Also, let me know if you can think of a way to set them manually just in case. I noted most the of the pics my idiot friends use are cartoons and other goofy avatars and not a pic of themselves...

Thanks for the super quick responses....

MM

anthonyzul

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I have discovered no way to manually associate a contact with a particular Facebook friend. I had to change all of my Contact names to exactly what my friends' Facebook names were in order for the syncing to take affect.

TJohnsonmp01

Feb 20, 2010
Visit site
Hey y'all go to market and get app called Facebook Sync...it will auto sync contacts then it will give you option to manually sync...its just what y'all are asking for. For the longest time I was having same issue and this app was perfect and did just what I wanted! To manually sync it will pull up your contact list...press name u want sync....fb contact list comes up, long press contact to sync n viola it is done! Happy n blessed Easter y'all =)

ryobi43

Dec 13, 2009
Visit site
The option to sync is already in the phone. No app needed. The first time u sync it may take a while to load all pictures. I set mine to auto sync so I don't have to remember every time I add a new friend.

Mr Mayor

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
So the problem is now resolved.... apparently it just needed to either SIT, or be UNPLUGGED from charging on MY PC..

Remember how I said my thumbnails were gone? Well I took the phone off the PC later in the day, didn't bother to check it... I arrive and check my phone, VOILA! The "PICS" folder is there, my thumbnails are there, AND, all the pics I downloaded from facebook earlier are there as well, a little tinkering and SET AS, and I'm done.

No, I can't explain it. I did NOTHING since creating the PICS folder on my phone via the PC... just finished charging and took it with me.

SWEET!

MM

Mr Mayor

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Confirmed. Can't view pics in any folders until phone is unplugged from charger (likely due to MOUNTING).

Just wanted to update.....

MM