Contacts in alphabetical order by last name....

ccoady750#AC

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Not sure if this had ever been addressed, but I remember a while back (shortly after droids launch) that a lot of blackberry users complained about how the droid puts contacts in alphabetical order by their first name instead of last. The only solution people had given at the time was changing contacts in their google acount online, or inputting the last name where the first name goes, and a few other solutions.

By accident, I came across this and tried it out. I just put a comma after the first name an BAM....it lists in alphabetical order by last name. Pretty easy fix for those who like looking for last name first rather than first name (like me).

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Not sure if this had ever been addressed, but I remember a while back (shortly after droids launch) that a lot of blackberry users complained about how the droid puts contacts in alphabetical order by their first name instead of last. The only solution people had given at the time was changing contacts in their google acount online, or inputting the last name where the first name goes, and a few other solutions.

By accident, I came across this and tried it out. I just put a comma after the first name an BAM....it lists in alphabetical order by last name. Pretty easy fix for those who like looking for last name first rather than first name (like me).

Even easier, get the app "Dialer One". By far better than the native dialer and contacts list. Very customizable and is very similar to the blackberry dialer/contacts form.

Storm_75

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site

Help! I tried this but must be doing something wrong, or I didn't truly understand the workaround. When I put a comma immediately following the First Name, this is the result I get:

John, Smith

It did not force a re-order by "last name first" but just shows a comma following the First Name field...

Thanks!

Romple

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I think the comma trick actually make peoples last name their first name in google contacts.

So they'd put in
First Name: Smith,
Last Name: John

and it shows up as "Smith, John".

but that's obviously a pretty silly workaround to have to use and you should really check out Dialer One.

Storm_75

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Romple for the info.

I guess I just find it awful strange that Google couldn't figure out that many folks would want their Contacts sorted by Last, First name? I mean, it just looks odd to me to have hundreds of names and they are forced into alphabtical order by FIRST name! Just weird.

Looking through the Options on my Google Mail page in the Contacts area there is no option to change this...

Weird!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC