the process of rooting/overclocking has been beat to hamburger in the forums. but is the process really worth it? does it really make the droid that much better? i would like to go through the overclock dance but i wanna do my homework before i take the plunge. i have owned a bb storm9530&9550(pieces of crap) and have gone through the process of loading unoffical OS leaks onto them. so i have the confidence to take care of that task. is the droid overclocking process difficult? or does it require alot of know how in the android world? any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated. thank you ahead of time
    04-10-2010 03:51 PM
    I've never felt the need to root/overclock. The phone works just fine the way it is.
    04-10-2010 05:47 PM
    overclocking uses more battery life and may/may not shorten the life of your CPU(phone), the use of 3rd party apps like ROM manager or droid mod help a lot; however, i'm assuming your now on 2.1.....no root exploit yet
    04-10-2010 06:10 PM
    There is a way to back out to 2.01 and then get 2.1 rooted. Little tricky but not to bad. Just follow directions to a t. Look at Droid-life.com. they have good instructions there.

Can use low voltage kenal with over clock and get good battery life. I like it because can use Droid as WiFi hot spot for laptop with barnacle app.
    04-10-2010 09:18 PM
    I'm at 1ghz, and my phone is noticeably faster and smoother than stock. It was worth it just for that. WiFi tether is probably the second top reason for rooting. Being rooted also opens you up to a bunch of amazing roms that change your whole android experience.

I have had no adverse affect on my battery life since overclocking, if anything i've had a slight improvement, possibly from underclocking sleep mode. I pull my phone off the charger at 8:00am when I leave for work, and by 12:00am when I dock it to go to bed, I'm usually still over half charge. Unless I played music during the day or on my drive, then I'll be about half charge or a little under. That's good battery life for a smartphone.

The only real negative is that overclocking can definately shorten the life of your phone, but by how much? Most people change phones every 2 years anyway. I'd have to imagine that even overclocked, your phone will last 2 years. If you're really worried, get the insurance, then if your phone cooks, say you lost it, and you'll get another one.

take the plunge, rooting is so easy now, and you'll be happier with the amount of things it opens up for you.
    04-10-2010 10:57 PM
    Any suggested tips I should follow to do so. A particular website to go to that will lead me through every step?
    04-11-2010 01:49 AM
    I got most of my info here. there are also step by step videos on alldroid.org
    04-11-2010 08:58 AM
    Ok thanks for the info. I just wish I had a buddy with a droid that would lead me through the process. I don't wanna brick my droid tryin for the first time. I'll think it over for a while and see if I'm still up for the big commitment
    04-13-2010 12:16 AM
    No big issue on bricking your Droid you use the same process to go back to 2.01, that you use to brick your phone. Just follow the directions don't rush and you should be fine
    04-13-2010 12:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD