This would be the killer feature for me, and if the droid can't do it WITHOUT ROOTING, i will have to get the palm pre plus for mobile hotspot.

Thanks
    04-13-2010 05:17 PM
    You would need to root. There's a free wifi enabling app you can install, if rooted, which will turn your phone into a mobile hot spot.

Rooting it is super easy (you can even automate it with DM Updater). You have a lot more options with your Droid. The build quality is much higher, etc.

Otherwise you'll be back... many a person has gone from Pre Plus to Droid due to overall quality.
    04-13-2010 05:38 PM
    Too bad that iPad doesn't have a USB port................or bluetooth.......or any of the other normal things it should to make that easier.
    04-13-2010 05:39 PM
    Too bad that iPad doesn't have a USB port................or bluetooth.......or any of the other normal things it should to make that easier.
    +1 but that is just the way that Apple operates, as we all know oh so well.

As for the OP, I believe the only option would be to root your device, but that is always reversible and a very simple process.
    04-13-2010 05:41 PM
    +1 but that is just the way that Apple operates, as we all know oh so well.

As for the OP, I believe the only option would be to root your device, but that is always reversible and a very simple process.
    Wait, what if he has 2.1? Can you go back to 2.0.1? I thought you could.
    04-13-2010 05:42 PM
    Plus its a lot more enjoyable than a pre plus
    04-13-2010 05:42 PM
    Wait, what if he has 2.1? Can you go back to 2.0.1? I thought you could.
    Yes, you can use the .sbf method to flash your device right back to 2.0.1, its a VERY simple process.
    04-13-2010 05:45 PM
    Yes, you can use the .sbf method to flash your device right back to 2.0.1, its a VERY simple process.
    Fantastic!
    I thought it was .sbf

Anywho, head here http://forum.androidcentral.com/moto...id-roms-hacks/

And you'll find the encyclopedia of rooting
    04-13-2010 05:48 PM
    Thanks guys, but i am really concerned about voiding my warranty over this whole rooting thing. If you flash the phone back to unrootedness (?), can anyone at verizon ever tell?
    04-13-2010 09:19 PM
    They will never notice. The iPad doesn't need a USB port. It's perfect the way it is in both functionality and form factor. Using the Droid as a hotspot is a great idea. Personally I use a Sprint MiFi.
    04-13-2010 09:26 PM
    Actually it does have have Bluetooth. Thanks for stopping by... Also keep in mind it's not meant to replace laptops or desktops.
    04-13-2010 10:36 PM
    I like how the 2 admins like the ipad, and proletariat doesn't .

Anyways as for Verizon knowing if your phone was rooted, the only way they would know is if you walked in and showed it to them. BUT how to get around it is to get DM Updater or ROM Manager, both have the option to flash back to 2.0.1 Unrooted. If you need to trade your phone in for any reason, or bring it for work, just go into either of those programs, flash the rom, and it looks exactly the same as when you first bought it.
    04-14-2010 12:27 AM
    Actually it does have have Bluetooth. Thanks for stopping by... Also keep in mind it's not meant to replace laptops or desktops.
    Well if it has bluetooth, then you don't have to root. PDA net on the market is FREE and can broadcast over bluetooth.
    04-14-2010 08:56 AM
    If if can't do (insert function here) then I wash my hands of it! I love this logic, well have fun with the Pre. It can do one feature the Droid can't, but the Droid is an overall better product on 30 other features. Enjoy.
    04-14-2010 09:44 AM
    Actually, it does have bluetooth, but it only supports audio. I couldn't get it to do anything with my phone after pairing it.
    04-14-2010 10:06 AM
    But it doesn't do anything other than audio with bluetooth.... so no, not a functional bluetooth in this case. Just another crippled product... much like the Palm Pre.
    04-14-2010 10:09 AM
    Just wondering... how is the palm pre (plus) a worse/ more crippled phone than the droid? From what i can see (I haven't used one yet) it looks very slick and polished.
    04-14-2010 07:18 PM
    I believe the original question was answered, so I'm closing the thread.

Cory
    04-14-2010 07:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD