Droid still within 30 days, worth changing to the Incredible

musicandnumbers

Apr 1, 2010
www.twitter.com
I'm kinda torn on this. I love to have the latest thing. I got the Droid (less than 30 days ago), but I really love it. I'd love to love something even more, but I'm wondering if it's worth the switch...and if I'll love it more or not haha.

equus

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I think that both the Droid and Incredible are great phones.

However, does anyone recommend going from the Droid the the Droid Incredible if I am still within 30 days of purchase ? I am not clear on that the main differences are, except I know that the Incredible doesn't have a physical keyboard.

Probably not worth going through the trouble if both phones are good, but I am curious what people think.

I am with Verizon.
Been a Droid user since day one, also use the Incredible, but mind you this is personal opinion........I keep going back to Droid. ONLY reason, Sense UI is fine but after a while it gets annoying.Battery life is not as good as the droid, half the time of the droid. I for one will not go buy an extended battery just to justify using a device when the manufacturer should do that. I like the simplicity of the droid. Its almost as fast and does everything the incredible does. Go to a VZW store when they get it ,try it out at the store and make your judgement.

musicandnumbers

Apr 1, 2010
www.twitter.com
Cutting it close. I got my droid on like 3/31...the phones are getting shipped on...what...4/29? I better just stick with what I've got. In another year, there will be something else even cooler out that I'll want lol. I really want one of those machines the Jetsons had to cook with. Just push a button, and there's your dinner. I hope someone makes a cell phone that does that for me! :)

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
I love my Droid and will be keeping it for a while but if I was in the market right now on Verizon, and didn't need a keyboard, I'd get the incredible. The screen does not suffer from the multitouch issues the nexus 1 had, and apparently you can install apps on 784 megs of available memory which is nice. It's also quicker.

If however, I was in the market for a smartphone regardless of carrier, I'd be all over the EVO 4G.

CSI Guy

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
I am waiting for the Super Amoled screen on a Android phone like the Samsung Galaxy S. I like being able to see the screen in the sunlight.

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Hey, great, point, I will go look at the Eris.

Went and looked at the Eris today. I like the form factor much better. Really torn here. Talked with the Verizon rep., I guess the reps. at the store I went to are all going to make the switch. I'll ask her after she has had it a few days to see what she thinks.

I am a little concerned about people discussing the difficulty of seeing the screen in the sunlight on the Incredible.

Do we know it will not perform well in the sunlight, or is that just a guess ??

G

GenericMessage

Went and looked at the Eris today. I like the form factor much better. Really torn here. Talked with the Verizon rep., I guess the reps. at the store I went to are all going to make the switch. I'll ask her after she has had it a few days to see what she thinks.

I am a little concerned about people discussing the difficulty of seeing the screen in the sunlight on the Incredible.

Do we know it will not perform well in the sunlight, or is that just a guess ??

The cheap Active Matrix OLED screens that they put in phones now-a-days become nearly invisible in sunlight.

That isn't a guess, thats fact.

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
I just got my droid on april 3rd. and i will def be swapping for an incredible. I really like the Sense UI.

threepio -

I think I may be swapping also.

Even if the Incredible wasn't out there.... I am actually having some trouble with the Droid. I am finding the phone interface difficult to use. The main problem I am finding is that the screen is turning off when I am talking and then when I hang up, the screen is reappearing only about 50% of the time ( there is a light sensor on the Droid that is supposed to know when the phone is moved from your ear, and the screen should light back up).

Mine is not consistently doing this, so I am scrambling...trying to get the screen to come back on after I have ended a call. Even pressing the stand-by button doesn't work to get the phone to 'light back up.'

Any ideas from anyone regarding whether the Incredible will have this same problem ??

Will the Incredible phone interface be easier to use ?

My old BB can't touch the Droid, but it seemed so much easier to use ( the phone part, that is).

I am leaning toward trading out for the Incredible ( as I am within the 30 day period).

Maybe I am just having trouble going from a phone with buttons to a true touch screen phone, but having trouble with my Droid.

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
threepio -

I think I may be swapping also.

Even if the Incredible wasn't out there.... I am actually having some trouble with the Droid. I am finding the phone interface difficult to use. The main problem I am finding is that the screen is turning off when I am talking and then when I hang up, the screen is reappearing only about 50% of the time ( there is a light sensor on the Droid that is supposed to know when the phone is moved from your ear, and the screen should light back up).

Mine is not consistently doing this, so I am scrambling...trying to get the screen to come back on after I have ended a call. Even pressing the stand-by button doesn't work to get the phone to 'light back up.'

Any ideas from anyone regarding whether the Incredible will have this same problem ??

Will the Incredible phone interface be easier to use ?

My old BB can't touch the Droid, but it seemed so much easier to use ( the phone part, that is).

I am leaning toward trading out for the Incredible ( as I am within the 30 day period).

Maybe I am just having trouble going from a phone with buttons to a true touch screen phone, but having trouble with my Droid.

I figured out the most likely cause of this issue. The case, I believe was obstructing the light sensor. Removing the case seems to help.

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Looks like both the Droid and Nexus One have better battery life than the Incredible

YouTube - Review: HTC Proves Credible About 'Incredible'

Thanks, killswitch -

I can live with a reduced battery life, as long as it isn't extreme.

I would like to know how much faster it discharges.... ie) does it lose batter life twice as fast as the Droid ?, etc. I am mostly in my car all day long for work,so I can keep it charged pretty easily I think. But, I am looking forward to some actual figures regarding Droid batter life vs. Incredible battery life.
I guess we'll have to see when people first start buying the Incredible.

doc 7

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I got the Droid two weeks ago and it's. Afine device as for the incredible it seems like a Eris replacement just a thought

borgey401

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
there is no way the incredible is an all around better phone. the only thing better is the camera and HTC is HORRORIBLE CAMERAS! Sense UI is cool but it's getting ported over to the droid. The snapdraggon processor is cool too but the droid can be overclocked to the same speed. Incredible comes with a 8gb sd card and droid comes with 16gb card, so right there just shows you what the superior phone is. All the incredible is is something to replace the eris. don't get me wrong it's a very nice phone but i honestly dont think it trumps the droid at all

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
This is getting confusing - which phone to choose ??

I have the Droid and have until May 10th to exchange it, if I decide to....I just can't decide what to do.

Now that I took the awkward case off my Droid (that VZW sold me), it is much easier to use and hold in my hand, etc.

So, no doubt the Droid is a fantastic phone and will be for another 2 years.

However here are my considerations :

1. I really like the lighter, "form factor" of the Incredible, from what I have seen. Although I know some people report that it feels cheap.

2. I don't use the physical keyboard much on the Droid, so I could get by with touchscreen only - as long as the touchscreen is responsive on the Incredible.

3 **** what's most important to me is ease of use with texting and mutitasking on the phone. My phones usually get a work-out in the texting/emailing area... which is why I liked the BB.

4. I would like something that has a little easier interface to use and the Sense seems to do that.

5. I am a salesperson and usually charging my phone during the day anyway. Unless the battery life on the Incredible is just really awful, it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. But what about the signal strength, is it really that much worse that the Droid ?

6. So what should I do? Should I get the Incredible because it's lighter and fits in my hand easier.

7. Should I wait for the Nexus 1 on Verizon, will it be out by May 10th ??

8. Certainly getting the Incredible wouldn't be a step-down from the Droid, correct ?

I wilsh they would just stop putting out so many phones, it makes the decision process difficult. lol :)

I plan to wait until next weekend when the real user reviews start to be available, then I have just over a week to decide.

does anyone have any thoughts ? Any considerations or points that I have missed ?

Wongway

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
There's a couple of things with the Motorola Droid that make it stand out head and shoulders above for me...

1) Most important to me is the fact that in the end, it still has to be a Phone. That said, initial reports and history tells me that Motorola makes the superior signal/reception device. That would usually end the argument for me.

2) The currently available accessories at the moment effectively replaces a few things for me in every day use. Seidio's Car Dock in one fell swoop replaces my Garmin Nuvi as well as my XM Onyx satellite radio. My car looks much less cluttered with wires and cigarette lighter adapters running around everywhere.

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Let me say this first and foremost. I love my Moto Droid as its the best PDA VZ has offered in a really long time. That said, I took that plunge and ordered the HTC Incredible. I will extensively test the two over the next couple of weeks and try to find advantages and disadvantages for each. To be perfectly honest, I am not overly thrilled in getting the HTC coming from the DROID as someone who is coming from a BB or some other device. Stay tuned I should have the phone in hand today.

G

GenericMessage

I have the Droid and have until May 10th to exchange it, if I decide to....I just can't decide what to do.

Now that I took the awkward case off my Droid (that VZW sold me), it is much easier to use and hold in my hand, etc.

So, no doubt the Droid is a fantastic phone and will be for another 2 years.

However here are my considerations :

1. I really like the lighter, "form factor" of the Incredible, from what I have seen. Although I know some people report that it feels cheap.

2. I don't use the physical keyboard much on the Droid, so I could get by with touchscreen only - as long as the touchscreen is responsive on the Incredible.

3 **** what's most important to me is ease of use with texting and mutitasking on the phone. My phones usually get a work-out in the texting/emailing area... which is why I liked the BB.

4. I would like something that has a little easier interface to use and the Sense seems to do that.

5. I am a salesperson and usually charging my phone during the day anyway. Unless the battery life on the Incredible is just really awful, it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. But what about the signal strength, is it really that much worse that the Droid ?

6. So what should I do? Should I get the Incredible because it's lighter and fits in my hand easier.

7. Should I wait for the Nexus 1 on Verizon, will it be out by May 10th ??

8. Certainly getting the Incredible wouldn't be a step-down from the Droid, correct ?

I wilsh they would just stop putting out so many phones, it makes the decision process difficult. lol :)

I plan to wait until next weekend when the real user reviews start to be available, then I have just over a week to decide.

does anyone have any thoughts ? Any considerations or points that I have missed ?

N1 isn't coming for VZW, so you might as well just go get your Incredible today!

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Here is a quick follow up after moving from the Moto Droid to the Incredible. Well, the incredible is an all around GREAT device. I thought the Moto droid was a beast but, compared to the HTC that term no longer fits. The Incredible is FAST FAST FAST. But you knew that already.

1. Fit/Finish/Feel - I give this to the Moto Droid. I love the weight and girth of the device. Bluntly put the DROID is a man's phone. The Incredible is sleek and VERY light. It will appeal to a much broader audience.

2. Screen - There has been much to do about nothing when it comes to the Incredible in direct sunlight. Let me say this, it is NO WORSE than the MOTO. Neither is great in DIRECT sunlight. Though the Incredible is lacking a few pixels, you cannot tell. Its more vibrant than the Droid and cleaner at times all in all, both have great displays. DRAW

3. Sense UI experience - It takes getting use to but, in the end its a very positive experience. I am use to the plain jane effect from the MOTO but HTC's interface will once again win more hearts with its appeal. It does work great (and fast) and streamlines social networking sites. I tip my hat to the Incredible.

4. Camera - 8.0 megapixels to 5.0. Not much to debate here. Megapixels aside, the overall camera performance on the Incredible is a wonderful experience. It works fast and has some nice options making it even more enjoyable to use. Again, not even a contest here.

5. Call Quality - The Incredible works fantastic as a phone. I have no dropped calls and I think the signal strength is more stable. I have heard of issues with the signal strength meter but I can't say I noticed. All I know is the phone works flawlessly even in known weak cell signal areas.

6. Messaging and emails - Did anyone ever use the keyboard on the droid??? I didn't so, the Incredible lacking a physical keyboard is not a problem. The touchscreen again, is a wonderful experience on the Incredible and so is the auto word correction. Typing is smooth and fast without any lag. The MOTO would at times experience this. Email setup with different accounts is easy and works great. Oh and GMAIL is integrated into the phone. You do not need to download it separately as earlier reports have stated. The same way it works on the MOTO it works on the HTC.

7. Customization - I thought with Sense UI the Incredible would be less customizable, I was wrong. It is more so than the DROID.

8. Browser - Again, HTC is a much better experience. Some built in features make reading pages easy especially, when pinch zooming. Loading pages is much faster on the Incredible.

Conclusion - The Incredible is a better all around device than the Droid. If you are debating over which to get then, the choice is easy. I see no reason to go with the MOTO over HTC even for the physical keyboard. The Incredible is that much better of a device. I know I didn't get into the hardware differences and that is because everyone already knows about them. One thing about the HTC DROID people will love is the 7 screens and flipping to them is a breeze. Plus, the SCENE option that goes along with the 7 screens is great. I intentionally, didn't speak to the optical pad/button on the HTC but it works much better than a trackball. I also, stayed away from battery life. Will the battery improve like the DROID over time? Perhaps, but it really all depends on how you use the phone so, I didn't want to debate that. Do I think jumping from a Motorola Droid to the HTC is a good idea? It depends. If you need the hardware go ahead. If not, you won't be missing out on too much. The Droid is still a great phone and will be for another 6-8 months. The HTC is the newcomer, and will reign supreme for several more weeks and, will be the better long term solution from a technology perspective. With 4g phones and a new Iphone on the horizon, even the HTC Incredible's days are numbered.

I hope this helps some of you and hit me up if you have any questions.

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Here is a quick follow up after moving from the Moto Droid to the Incredible. Well, the incredible is an all around GREAT device. I thought the Moto droid was a beast but, compared to the HTC that term no longer fits. The Incredible is FAST FAST FAST. But you knew that already.

1. Fit/Finish/Feel - I give this to the Moto Droid. I love the weight and girth of the device. Bluntly put the DROID is a man's phone. The Incredible is sleek and VERY light. It will appeal to a much broader audience.

2. Screen - There has been much to do about nothing when it comes to the Incredible in direct sunlight. Let me say this, it is NO WORSE than the MOTO. Neither is great in DIRECT sunlight. Though the Incredible is lacking a few pixels, you cannot tell. Its more vibrant than the Droid and cleaner at times all in all, both have great displays. DRAW

3. Sense UI experience - It takes getting use to but, in the end its a very positive experience. I am use to the plain jane effect from the MOTO but HTC's interface will once again win more hearts with its appeal. It does work great (and fast) and streamlines social networking sites. I tip my hat to the Incredible.

4. Camera - 8.0 megapixels to 5.0. Not much to debate here. Megapixels aside, the overall camera performance on the Incredible is a wonderful experience. It works fast and has some nice options making it even more enjoyable to use. Again, not even a contest here.

5. Call Quality - The Incredible works fantastic as a phone. I have no dropped calls and I think the signal strength is more stable. I have heard of issues with the signal strength meter but I can't say I noticed. All I know is the phone works flawlessly even in known weak cell signal areas.

6. Messaging and emails - Did anyone ever use the keyboard on the droid??? I didn't so, the Incredible lacking a physical keyboard is not a problem. The touchscreen again, is a wonderful experience on the Incredible and so is the auto word correction. Typing is smooth and fast without any lag. The MOTO would at times experience this. Email setup with different accounts is easy and works great. Oh and GMAIL is integrated into the phone. You do not need to download it separately as earlier reports have stated. The same way it works on the MOTO it works on the HTC.

7. Customization - I thought with Sense UI the Incredible would be less customizable, I was wrong. It is more so than the DROID.

8. Browser - Again, HTC is a much better experience. Some built in features make reading pages easy especially, when pinch zooming. Loading pages is much faster on the Incredible.

Conclusion - The Incredible is a better all around device than the Droid. If you are debating over which to get then, the choice is easy. I see no reason to go with the MOTO over HTC even for the physical keyboard. The Incredible is that much better of a device. I know I didn't get into the hardware differences and that is because everyone already knows about them. One thing about the HTC DROID people will love is the 7 screens and flipping to them is a breeze. Plus, the SCENE option that goes along with the 7 screens is great. I intentionally, didn't speak to the optical pad/button on the HTC but it works much better than a trackball. I also, stayed away from battery life. Will the battery improve like the DROID over time? Perhaps, but it really all depends on how you use the phone so, I didn't want to debate that. Do I think jumping from a Motorola Droid to the HTC is a good idea? It depends. If you need the hardware go ahead. If not, you won't be missing out on too much. The Droid is still a great phone and will be for another 6-8 months. The HTC is the newcomer, and will reign supreme for several more weeks and, will be the better long term solution from a technology perspective. With 4g phones and a new Iphone on the horizon, even the HTC Incredible's days are numbered.

I hope this helps some of you and hit me up if you have any questions.

Thanks for the excellent review !!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12