Hey All,

I'm a Palm Pre user and love my phone. I wish I could look forward to a future ever better WebOS devices, but it looks like the writing may be on the wall for Palm.

I'm a small business owner and spend the majority of my day driving to appointments and talking on the phone. Flipping my pre open w/ my thumb and typing names or phone numbers in (unfortunately while I drive) is very important to me - the horizontal keyboard layout doesn't work well for this (had HTC mogul & just couldn't). How practical is this with the Andriod on-screen keyboards? I've heard that Android voice recognition (at least on Nexus One) is very advanced - could I dictate names or numbers instead of the one hand typing?

Are there any Android devices w/ a physical keyboard in the same orientation as the Pre?

Anyone working on an inductive charger for any Android devices? I will sorely miss the touchstone - it's so elegant. I've mounted one on my dashboard and the magnet holds my phone in place & keeps the phone topped off while I drive.

How's ActiveSync/Exchange on Andriod compare to Pre.

Thanks a ton in Advance!

- Grant
    04-20-2010 08:25 PM
    Hey All,

I'm a Palm Pre user and love my phone. I wish I could look forward to a future ever better WebOS devices, but it looks like the writing may be on the wall for Palm.

I'm a small business owner and spend the majority of my day driving to appointments and talking on the phone. Flipping my pre open w/ my thumb and typing names or phone numbers in (unfortunately while I drive) is very important to me - the horizontal keyboard layout doesn't work well for this (had HTC mogul & just couldn't). How practical is this with the Andriod on-screen keyboards? I've heard that Android voice recognition (at least on Nexus One) is very advanced - could I dictate names or numbers instead of the one hand typing?

Are there any Android devices w/ a physical keyboard in the same orientation as the Pre?

Anyone working on an inductive charger for any Android devices? I will sorely miss the touchstone - it's so elegant. I've mounted one on my dashboard and the magnet holds my phone in place & keeps the phone topped off while I drive.

How's ActiveSync/Exchange on Andriod compare to Pre.

Thanks a ton in Advance!

- Grant
    I use the voice to text and voice search CONSTANTLY while driving or on the go.

I just picked myself up the car-mount and made it MUCH easier
    04-20-2010 08:41 PM
    Swype is a good option too. I've become very proficient at typing one handed, but never while driving that would just be wrong. ;-}
    04-20-2010 08:59 PM
    Thanks Generic,

Are you using the Nexus One? I checked out their website last night and noticed that they'd come out with a pretty slick looking dock.

- Grant
    04-20-2010 09:00 PM
    unfortunately their is no native conductive charger but the car dock supposedly works very well. I am too will be either picking up a droid or incredible in a week and i work for a family bus company so i spend a lot of time on the road while i dont text and drive texting with one hand is very crucial and something i have been weary of. unfortunately no soft keyboard is ever as good as a portrait hard qwerty :/
    04-20-2010 09:05 PM
    Sorry,

One other question - is the voice recognition described by GenericMessage available to all Andriod devices or just NexusOne?

Thanks for all replies!

- Grant
    04-20-2010 09:07 PM
    ha, you guys must be lucky and live somewhere where texting while driving isn't against the law. Looks like more states are pushing that now.

^ the speech-to-text function is available on any android 2.1+ device
    04-20-2010 09:08 PM
    I use the voice to text and voice search CONSTANTLY while driving or on the go.

I just picked myself up the car-mount and made it MUCH easier
    Agreed. I actually started using Vlingo which I find works a lot better and adapts to the way you speak rather than having to adapt to the voice recognition (that is found on stock 2.1 android).
    04-20-2010 09:10 PM
    Hey PJ,

I actually try to keep texting to a minimum - it's the one handed dialing that I'm doing constantly. Do the voice recognition apps work through bluetooth hands free? I've wanted that capability forever but never had a phone that would do it. I use the Plantronics Voyager Pro at the moment.

Thanks again for your patience w/ the Android Noob! :-)
    04-20-2010 09:26 PM
    ha, you guys must be lucky and live somewhere where texting while driving isn't against the law. Looks like more states are pushing that now.

it is against the law here in Jersey but when im at a light or doing paperwork its a lot easier to text one hand then use the keyboard and i never text while driving but usually am in the car.
    04-20-2010 09:35 PM
    Or set up new folders and put direct dial shortcuts in the folders. Then one touch dial. Works great for frequently dialed numbers.
    04-23-2010 11:54 AM
    To answer his question:
    The Droid, Droid Incredible, and the Nexus one all have voice-to-text enabled.
    There may be some other phones but I can't remember.
    04-23-2010 12:08 PM

So is speeding, but almost everyone does it to one extent or another regardless!
    04-26-2010 11:52 AM
    But when you think bout it, texting is a lot more dangerous. Especially on a touch screen phone.
    04-27-2010 01:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD