Phone randomly goes straight to Voicemail, and no incoming texts.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, I'm running out of ideas. A factory reset might be the next step.

Is Visual Voicemail preinstalled, or can you uninstall that temporarily?

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Maybe the phone is a lemon. You're more patient than me. I'd do a factory reset and if it still fails to receive messages or calls, I'd get another phone.

lemon40

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Anyone recommend reset network in settings? Just skimming through the thread .

Yes, that was the last thing I tried. The 611 lady recommend that and it didn't seem to work.

Yes, I could possibly have a lemon. LOL

It looks like I could delete visual voicemail, I won't try that now because I have some messages I need to keep, but I will see if that does anything, I'm guessing it won't, but who knows.

I'm hoping I get the July updates soon and that fixes it, but considering the June one didn't, it's doubtful.

-d

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes, that was the last thing I tried. The 611 lady recommend that and it didn't seem to work.

Yes, I could possibly have a lemon. LOL

It looks like I could delete visual voicemail, I won't try that now because I have some messages I need to keep, but I will see if that does anything, I'm guessing it won't, but who knows.

I'm hoping I get the July updates soon and that fixes it, but considering the June one didn't, it's doubtful.

-d
You also try resetting to default APN ?

lemon40

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
A few months ago I did that APN reset after I wasn't getting MMS text messages from IOS properly and that fixed it. So I just did that, let's hope it helps.

-d

lemon40

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Okay, was testing out the phone randomly this morning and it's been fine. But just this last time, straight to voicemail again, so I turned off wifi and once again, it worked just fine afterwards. I think my next step is to just do a factory restore. I was hoping to not have to go that far, but I don't know what else to do at this point.

-d

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Okay, was testing out the phone randomly this morning and it's been fine. But just this last time, straight to voicemail again, so I turned off wifi and once again, it worked just fine afterwards. I think my next step is to just do a factory restore. I was hoping to not have to go that far, but I don't know what else to do at this point.

-d
You can, just don't restore anything start fresh see how it will be for a day or 2 then restore

lemon40

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes, i meant factory reset, not restore.
It will probably be a few days before I can get around to doing that though.

-d

lemon40

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Okay, so another update.
I never did get around to wiping the phone and starting over. But a couple of days ago I got a system update to the July 2020 updates.
So far whether wifi is on or not, I haven't had it go straight to voicemail. So crossing my fingers that whatever the system update was, it fixed the issue.
If it comes back again, I'll be sure to post.

-d

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Okay, so another update.
I never did get around to wiping the phone and starting over. But a couple of days ago I got a system update to the July 2020 updates.
So far whether wifi is on or not, I haven't had it go straight to voicemail. So crossing my fingers that whatever the system update was, it fixed the issue.
If it comes back again, I'll be sure to post.

-d
Oh great , thanks for the update

lemon40

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I spoke too soon. It came back. Same thing. Seems to happen more when I'm at work. If that's the case then maybe it's some weird signal thing at work, but I still usually have a strong signal, so it shouldn't do that. Plus it's still bizarre that toggling wifi fixes it. I guess I'll try factory resetting the phone.

-d

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I spoke too soon. It came back. Same thing. Seems to happen more when I'm at work. If that's the case then maybe it's some weird signal thing at work, but I still usually have a strong signal, so it shouldn't do that. Plus it's still bizarre that toggling wifi fixes it. I guess I'll try factory resetting the phone.

-d
Came back :(
Ok try that , let's see if it will correct this .

lemon40

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
So now after a few days it will only happen at my work. So if this is the only place it happens, I'm not that concerned anymore as anyone who would actually need to call me can call my work number. Also, so far today it's been fine as I've been randomly testing.
Strange that with a decent signal though at work it happens. I wonder if it has something to do with the tower over here, but then again it makes no sense that toggling wifi fixes it. *shrug*

-d

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It may have to do with poor signal at work, which is a relatively common issue. Are you using wi-fi calling at work?

lemon40

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have no option for wifi calling on my phone and I can't connect my personal phone to the wifi. My signal is medium to strong 4G LTE, so if it's the signal, there's something wonky and it's not because of the strength.

-d

lemon40

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
This is a long bump, but you can thank Motorola's extremely late update to Android 11 (only about a year late) on an Android One phone :-\
Anyway, since I finally got Android 11, the phone has been working. No clue what the deal was, but I guess at this point I'll hang on to the phone until updates stop and then I'll try to hold off until the Pixel 6A comes out.

-d

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy