Phone Texting Problem

af6nm

Jan 20, 2021
Visit site
I have a Motorola One 5G ACE with Android 10.0. My carrier is Total Wireless. I can't receive text messages but I can send messages. Total wireless Network Engineer can't figure it out. Should I try anew SIM card?

I have other apps and it is still the same.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Is it all text messages that don't come through, or is it only MMS messages (picture texts, group texts) that have problems?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you can send texts, the SIM is good. But there may be one of two (or even both) problems:

If someone using an iPhone sends you a text using iMessage, you won't get it. And there's nothing you can do about it. The person sending it has to send it as an SMS text. (Once one SMS is sent to your number, the iPhone will remember to send future texts to you as SMS.)

If someone sends you an MMS ... you may have the MMS set up incorrectly in your APN. Check them. For Total Wireless, it should be:

Code:
APN Name        Total Wireless
APN              TRACFONE.VZWENTP
MMSC            https://mms.vtext.com/servlets/mms
MCC             311
MNC             480
APN Type       default,supl
APN Protocol  IPv4/IPv6
APN Roaming Protocol    IPv4/IPv6
Bearer           Unspecifed or blank

Leave all the rest blank.

wplust

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
I have a Motorola One 5G ACE with Android 10.0. My carrier is Total Wireless. I can't receive text messages but I can send messages. Total wireless Network Engineer can't figure it out. Should I try anew SIM card?

I have other apps and it is still the same.
I am on Verizon prepaid and tried to SIM swap to the ACE and am having similar problem that I can send but not receive sms. Also can call out but they can't hear me although I can hear the other party.

Called Verizon prepaid support and they said I need a new SIM. Not exactly sure why I need a new SIM, but I'll find out in 3-5 days if it works.

wplust

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
For my part, went 2 more rounds with Verizon prepaid and Verizon. Tried a 5g SIM and it didn't even recognize the the phone number. Then spent several hours with prepaid where they exhausted all troubleshooting steps and are sending me another SIM. They don't think the phone is compatible with Verizon prepaid.

That's what I was afraid of.

Truthfully I am anxiously awaiting the resolution to the OPs problem so that I may try that.

wplust

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Just installed new SIM and same problem. Wondering if it is the phone firmware itself.
Did they give you a 5g SIM card or 4g? Also did you activate the SIM before it was installed?

They seem to stress that SIM card has to be activated before installation.