Are we ready for the return of the flip phone?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Folks,

So who is ready for the return of the flip phone? While Samsung, Huawei and others have embraced the fold out tablet format, Moto seems to want to return to their roots, AND to one of there most popular designs. For 2019, they appear to be about to release an ultra thin, flip phone, BUT this ain't your grandfather's Razr! Closed it will be a thin compact, VERY pocketable phone, BUT once you open it, it will be a full sized 2019 flagship!

OK so who wants one? Who had the original? What do you think it will cost? I've seen the 1500 dollar figure out there. I GUESS that's better than 2000 or 2600! And hopefully they won't have any of the display issues a certain other company is having. ;)

Here's a cool Android Central blog about the new Razr.....

https://www.androidcentral.com/heres-our-best-look-yet-motorola-razr-folding-phone

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This is actually a foldable form factor I could get behind. I generally feel that I wouldn't need a tablet in my day-to-day activities, so the Fold and the Mate X aren't appealing to me -- thick, chunky phones (and fragile, as far as we can tell with the Fold anyway) that would probably weigh my pants down so that everyone can see my Fruit o' the Looms.:-\ But a decent-sized phone that folds up and is significantly much easier to carry in a pocket would be very convenient for me.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
If I were wanting to get a folding phone this would be the one I’d be most interested in. Never had the original razr. I hope it’s a winner and a sell out. Wouldn’t mind seeing Samsung lose some market share either. To bad Sammy stumbled out of the gate in their rush to be first. Oh well. I’ll be watching this new razr in the weeks ahead.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
If I were wanting to get a folding phone this would be the one I’d be most interested in. Never had the original razr. I hope it’s a winner and a sell out. Wouldn’t mind seeing Samsung lose some market share either. To bad Sammy stumbled out of the gate in their rush to be first. Oh well. I’ll be watching this new razr in the weeks ahead.

I always wanted the original razr! And it's predecessors, the StarTac and the original MicroTac! Always thought they were too expensive. Of course now I think nothing of dropping a grand on a cellphone! lol

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Depending on the price. This is the Foldable phone I want.

I don't want a Tablet in my pocket. Phablets like the SAMSUNG Galaxy S10+ is perfect.

Toes Up

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
The difference in approach between Sammy and Moto is interesting. Sammy takes a decent sized phone and turns it into a tablet. Moto is apparently taking a much smaller phone (by today's standards) and turning it into a decent sized phone. The Moto is more appealing to me. It sure would be cool to spend a few days with each phone in order to see which one you like better.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
This is actually a foldable form factor I could get behind. I generally feel that I wouldn't need a tablet in my day-to-day activities, so the Fold and the Mate X aren't appealing to me -- thick, chunky phones (and fragile, as far as we can tell with the Fold anyway) that would probably weigh my pants down so that everyone can see my Fruit o' the Looms.:-\ But a decent-sized phone that folds up and is significantly much easier to carry in a pocket would be very convenient for me.

I agree. I can get behind this type of foldable phone.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I had the original Razr. I even switched away from my Nokia smartphone for it. As far as the new version goes, I'll have to wait until the price comes down a good bit.

jaimeastin

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I really, really love my Samsung note 9 and the Samsung experience since leaving Windows phone. As far as foldable skull, the Motorola razr would be the phone I would love to see become a success. My razor when it first came out years and years ago so cool as far as form factor. Flip phones for me would be going back to the time where I had a phone and didn't have a case. I would love to get back to that time.

danfrancisco

Trusted Member
Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
Before I was a big BlackBerry guy, I absolutely loved my Razr!

And with BlackBerry handsets dying a slow and painful death, this modern iteration of the Razr is getting me all excited! The rumoured $1,500 price tag is a huge downer which will likely keep me away. But Im hoping v2 will be a bit more reasonably priced once foldables start to take off.

tonydroid99

Nov 14, 2016
Visit site
I really like what I've seen with the Razor so far. The compact design when closed is nice and the screen that's still visible offers some nice functions. Then unfolding to a screen size comparable to some of the larger big screens on the market.

I'd rather go from small like this Razor when closed and unfold into something around the size of my Note screen size, rather than the Samsung fold which opens into a phablet that is too squarish for my liking.

Also I feel like if I wanted a tablet, I'd rather buy an actual tablet as opposed to something like SS fold. I personally like the Razor concept, which hopefully takes off and is popular. If the Razor is a success it would bring some nice diversity to fold phones. Hope it comes in some cool attention grabbing colors.

I feel set with my 10+, which is big enough that I don't really have need for a tablet. Inhave a tablet but don't use it. The Razor however, I'm really drawn to how small it is when folded but still offer a big screen when opened. I like the more comfortable portability but not sacrificing in screen size. The functionality on the screen when it's folded seems cool and handy as well, especially being full color and allowing you to do things you might not on always on display like Samsung has. I've never been one who feels the need to own two cell phones of the same generation, but I'm anxious to play with the Razor.

Seems like it could be a hit and a great all around phone. Unfolded you have your traditional big screen. When folded you have a very nice phone compact for workouts, yardwork, relaxing on a plane listening to music, I love the versatility.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'll definitely be on the lookout for it and will definitely check it out in the stores upon its release. The typical "folding tablet phones" really don't appeal to me.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I'll definitely be on the lookout for it and will definitely check it out in the stores upon its release. The typical "folding tablet phones" really don't appeal to me.

I am the opposite. I have zero interest in a folding old school style phone. I don't see why I would pay $1,500 for a med spec phone just because it folds in half.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I am the opposite. I have zero interest in a folding old school style phone. I don't see why I would pay $1,500 for a med spec phone just because it folds in half.

I'll definitely look at it, but I am not interested in buying it. It is a pretty nifty thing to see, though!