Are we ready for the return of the flip phone?

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I fall into the category of just being tired of large phones. That's one reason I find this phone attractive although at that price point probably out of reach. But to be able to have a small phone that unfolds into a large phone is a big deal. The specs are fine although for that price probably should be more up-to-date , but will probably be better with the second generation.
I recall a Windows pro phone I had back in the early '00's that had a 3-inch screen and everybody I showed it to marvelled at how big the screen was haha. How times have changed. Now a 5-inch screen is considered tiny. This will be an interesting phone to watch as it develops and the real world user reviews come in. I hope a second generation comes later.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I fall into the category of just being tired of large phones. That's one reason I find this phone attractive although at that price point probably out of reach. But to be able to have a small phone that unfolds into a large phone is a big deal. The specs are fine although for that price probably should be more up-to-date , but will probably be better with the second generation.
I recall a Windows pro phone I had back in the early '00's that had a 3-inch screen and everybody I showed it to marvelled at how big the screen was haha. How times have changed. Now a 5-inch screen is considered tiny. This will be an interesting phone to watch as it develops and the real world user reviews come in. I hope a second generation comes later.

I think a five-inch phone is awesome! I too miss the days of smaller devices. And with phones getting larger and larger, I am afraid that I will soon be unable to use them! What phone are you using now? My S10 is *actually* 6 inches and it's surprisingly usable.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I think a five-inch phone is awesome! I too miss the days of smaller devices. And with phones getting larger and larger, I am afraid that I will soon be unable to use them! What phone are you using now? My S10 is *actually* 6 inches and it's surprisingly usable.
6” is way big imo. But I’m in the minority Regarding screen size I know. I have an iPhone 7 that is a 4.7 “ screen and it is quite nice except for the fact it’s an iPhone. But an easy and fun size to use. I’m also using a pixel 2 and at 5” it is at my absolute max size preference, but the larger bezels make it seem a lot bigger than that. When walking around I can carry in my back pocket but it’s annoying to always need to remove it when sitting and a pants side pocket is not good either as I can’t hear or feel it vibe, yet it feels like I have a slab sitting in there, so a shirt pocket is my preference as I can just forget about it yet it is easy to interact with when needed. I have larger screen devices at home just don’t want to drag a big screen along with me for the day.
Women can purse carry so size is no problem for them and I always see women with big phones.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
6” is way big imo. But I’m in the minority Regarding screen size I know. I have an iPhone 7 that is a 4.7 “ screen and it is quite nice except for the fact it’s an iPhone. But an easy and fun size to use. I’m also using a pixel 2 and at 5” it is at my absolute max size preference, but the larger bezels make it seem a lot bigger than that. When walking around I can carry in my back pocket but it’s annoying to always need to remove it when sitting and a pants side pocket is not good either as I can’t hear or feel it vibe, yet it feels like I have a slab sitting in there, so a shirt pocket is my preference as I can just forget about it yet it is easy to interact with when needed. I have larger screen devices at home just don’t want to drag a big screen along with me for the day.
Women can purse carry so size is no problem for them and I always see women with big phones.

I definitely see what you are saying! I'd wanted the S10e due to the smaller size but really wanted that telephoto lens, so I opted for the S10.

The Pixel 2 was the absolute perfect size for me. I miss using it. It was a wonderful phone. Ir was very pocketable. I could see it working well in a shirt pocket.

You have a point about women, purses, and big phones. All my phones have gone in my purses - granted, I'd always make sure they would be small enough to fit in the purse's zipper compartment.

We small-smartphone-loving folk are definitely in the minority! I just hope there will still be options for us in later years.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
saw an article today in droid life that Motorola has pushed back to pre-order for the Razr due to unprecedented demand that they were not expecting. Rock on Moto!! This is actually great news. Would be cool to see the new razor become a thing even though I probably can’t put out the kind of bucks required to join that club. Then again, if I start saving now maybe I can get a second generation. :)

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
This phone will be a failure due to screen failure. No foldable device will have a screen that will hold up to daily use and the cost to repair one will be way to expensive, I would rather see a rehular flip phone like blackberry had years back. I would rather carry a flip phone if it had a good camera then use my ipad for everthing else.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I can see a flip phone but the foldable screen in my opinion is a problem waiting to happen. I prefer a flip device and would have one if there was a decent one out there.

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
If anyone is around aVerizon store might get a peek ..

I was checking one out yesterday .. can't see myself with this one although it brought back some good memories..
89164d5ba32229969b97ece712325793.jpg
3c5b43f43986eedf827f886c170d0761.jpg

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Was just about to say that's a super strong signal, but then I remembered that it's in a store and connected to an extender lol
If anyone is around aVerizon store might get a peek ..

I was checking one out yesterday .. can't see myself with this one although it brought back some good memories..
89164d5ba32229969b97ece712325793.jpg
3c5b43f43986eedf827f886c170d0761.jpg

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
Was just about to say that's a super strong signal, but then I remembered that it's in a store and connected to an extender lol

Haha for sure ...I wish the phone wasn’t so clamped down I was trying my best to get a good feel ...seems sturdy enough though in the crease inside screen there was one spot that looked like it had a little extra wear on it ...like a dimple ...

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Wow, what a big difference between delivery dates. I wonder if that is demand ramping up on the new razr. I do hope it will be successful.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I’m absolutely ready for a good flip phone. After checking out the new razr tho I don’t think I’m ready for that flIp phone. I happened to be near a Verizon store today and went in to see this new device. I was disappointed to start with as I didn’t think it felt that good in hand. The plastic screen reminded me of one of my old windows pro phones from early in this millennium. The screen just seemed flimsy and cheap, to much give to it. I knew it would have to be this way to fold but not a good feel to me.

Too plasticky overall IMO. I really like the solid feel of a metal phone. It’s ok for a first effort but I wouldn’t spend that amount of cash on it.

I did not notice any crease in the screen, that was a plus. The flip lid seems to be spring loaded to allow it to open easily and not fast with a snap but more gradually. Probably designed to prevent damage.

I’m not knocking the phone just saying it’s not for me and I thought it might be. I’m sure lots of people will love it. I’ll be watching the real user experiences and reviews. I do think the Achilles heel of the Razr will be battery life.

Edit: I read an article describing the issues with the original razrs. A problem dubbed “white screen” was caused by to many slams of the lid disconnecting/damaging the cable between the two halves.

Probably the reason for the spring assist opening on this new Razr.

Last edited by a moderator:

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Maybe you have to feel it without the security attachment. Device definitely doesn't feel cheap(at least to me). Has a nice weight to it. Not a big fan of the screen ratio. May just have to use it for a bit.
I’m absolutely ready for a good flip phone. After checking out the new razr tho I don’t think I’m ready for that flIp phone. I happened to be near a Verizon store today and went in to see this new device. I was disappointed to start with as I didn’t think it felt that good in hand. The plastic screen reminded me of one of my old windows pro phones from early in this millennium. The screen just seemed flimsy and cheap, to much give to it. I knew it would have to be this way to fold but not a good feel to me.
To plasticky overall IMO. I really like the solid feel of a metal phone. It’s ok for a first effort but I wouldn’t spend that amount of cash on it.
I did not notice any crease in the screen, that was a plus. The flip lid seems to be spring loaded to allow it to open easily and not fast with a snap but more gradually. Probably designed to prevent damage.
I’m not knocking the phone just saying it’s not for me and I thought it might be. I’m sure lots of people will love it. I’ll be watching the real user experiences and reviews. Idothink the Achilles heel of the Razr will be battery life.
Edit: I read an article describing the issues with the original razrs. A problem dubbed “white screen” was caused by to many slams of the lid disconnecting/damaging the cable between the two halves.
Probably the reason for the spring assist opening on this new Razr.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34