Everyone is down on this phone being a Verizon exclusive in the USA and I get that. But I also see it as the smart choice from a business perspective. Verizon basically subsidizes and partners on this phone and that allows it to be all in on the marketing and support. Everyone is complaining about the $1500 cost. If you are worrying about it then this isn't the phone for you. Now those that want it can get it financed with Verizon and one hurdle is removed.

Since this is the first eSim only smartphone, the setup for an unlocked phone could be more complicated and any frustrations the end user would be managed by Verizon. Having display copies available in stores will also boost sales more than "online only" sales venue since people can hold and play with the device. I hope the "one-button nav" works with the fingerprint scanner so that there can be a little less wear and tear on the screen.

If it sells well then I can see a Verizon 5G version down the road as well as an unlocked version for all carriers. For now I'll just be happy that it looks like they designed a device that people want to have and was well engineered.
    11-14-2019 02:43 PM
    It is pretty gorgeous looking.
    11-14-2019 04:00 PM
    Motorola is doing a lot of things right with this phone but spec nerds won't be able to get past that. Exclusivity is good for a gen 1 product like this.
    11-26-2019 10:31 AM
    Fortunately second generation Razr 5G will be unlocked and have a sim card here in UK,
    In Europe many buy phones outright and unlocked,
    and move to different networks for best price not as restricted as it appears you are in the US,
    so manufacturers who have exclusive deals with only one network costs them sales,
    09-13-2020 02:37 PM