PRL hacking?

jeisurii

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I did find a port 15 when I booted into Recovery and that allowed me to read, and it appeared to write the PRL but upon reboot I'm still on 61007

jeisurii

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Woot, got it updated. While the phone was booting I quickly connected to Port 12, read the phone, and wrote the PRL before it finished booting. The phone rebooted and now has 1115 installed.

munkyvirus

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Woot, got it updated. While the phone was booting I quickly connected to Port 12, read the phone, and wrote the PRL before it finished booting. The phone rebooted and now has 1115 installed.

How did you do it so fast?? I tried and couldn't even connect before it booted!

jeisurii

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I had already added the port to monitor to QPST configuration, so I had Service Programming open and as it booted I selected port 12 as soon as it appeared. From there it was just a matter of having everything set to click and go. MSL code on my clipboard, and already browsed to the folder my PRL file is in. It's quite doable

theboundless

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I had already added the port to monitor to QPST configuration, so I had Service Programming open and as it booted I selected port 12 as soon as it appeared. From there it was just a matter of having everything set to click and go. MSL code on my clipboard, and already browsed to the folder my PRL file is in. It's quite doable

Hei jeisurii, care to do a full step by step write up for those of us who can't quite get it?

jeisurii

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I probably couldn't write anything that well anyway, and knew that one was coming so I was just going to link you to his too once it was posted. :-[

theboundless

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I probably couldn't write anything that well anyway, and knew that one was coming so I was just going to link you to his too once it was posted. :-[
Just did the prl hack, like I did with my OV, seems to be getting more bars at home. Nice to be able to do this. Btw, the rebooting method is obsolete now, you just need to install anycut, create a shortcut from activity, "select com port mode", choose diagnostic mode, and there you go.

Reactions: one80oneday

srmuc69

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
How did you do it so fast?? I tried and couldn't even connect before it booted!
You do not have to be quick as you can set the MT into DIAG mode. Download AnyCut from the android market place and create a new shortcut for an activity called "Select Com Port Mode". Once that is on the home screen call it and click the DIAG option on. Then the Port will stick and not need for the crazy procedure. Once you are done you can set it back to Mass Storage. That worked for me. Also you have to have the latest QPST as my old version did not work with the MT. Also my CDMA Workshop does not like the phone, e.g. I can connect put not read from the phone.

Helgaiden

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Heres a quick guide for you guys:

REQUIRED TOOLS/SOFTWARE: (get this on the first post on the Howardforums post linked: HOW TO: Motorola Triumph PRL Swap )

Motorola Triumph USB cable- Others may work but this cable was designed for use with the phone, use it if possible.
Stock Phone Driver- Found on the phone when connected via USB. This driver should be installed before attempting any modifications.
QPST 2.7 Build 366- This is what I use, other versions may work as well.
Sprint PRL 01115- This is the latest version of the Sprint PRL and includes the most recently added towers. Using another carriers PRL might eventually allow the Triumph to be used on another carrier if you can get the ESN added to that carriers database, but that's another issue that I'll leave for someone else to test down the road. Just use the Sprint PRL.
MotoConnect- Not technically required but makes the detection process easier due to notification windows.
NOTE: Phone does not need to be rooted to complete this guide.

HOW TO SWAP YOUR PRL:

First things first, make sure you have the required software and drivers installed and that they appear to be working correctly.
Now its time to get your MSL. Thanks goes to mmarz over at XDA for originally discovering this method.

1. Log into your Virgin Mobile account.
2. Click this link.
3. Although you get a 404 error page, search the page for "msl:"
4. The six numbers after msl: are your MSL code. Write them down.

Now that you have your MSL I suggest you put it into a notepad document and save it.

The next step is to identify what COM ports your particular computer uses to connect with the Triumph. Open your device manager on your computer and expand the “Ports” section. Make sure your phone has USB debugging enabled.

1. Install Anycut from the android market (it's free)
2. Open Anycut and select "New Shortcut"
3. Now click Activity
4. Scroll down the list of activities until you see "Select COM Port Mode" and click it. Just hit ok to accept the default name
5. You will see a "shortcut created" notification. Go back to your homescreen and look for the new shortcut
6. Once you click the new shortcut you'll see three radio buttons. Simply change from Mass Storage to Diag and your debugging port will be on all the time.

When changed to diag, your phone will reconnect to the PC and drivers will install if necessary. Once its up and assuming all drivers took fine, in device manager look under “ports” and look for diagnostic android interface (or something like that). The other port is the modem port and not needed in this guide.

Now that we have our COM port identified, its time to start up QPST. With QPST open, open your ports tab and click “Add New Port”. Select the port you just identified. Once added, select “service programming” from one of the drop down menus on the top bar of QPST.

Now click “Read From Phone” in QPST. You will be prompted for your MSL code which you should be able to copy and paste (or just type in) to gain access to edit your phone.

Now that you have access, open the “Roam” tab in QPST. Near the bottom you will see an option to write a new PRL from a file. This is where the PRL file you downloaded earlier comes in. Make sure you have unzipped the file, then browse to it from QPST and select it. Once selected, click “write to phone” and your phone will reboot. When the phone is back up, verify the new PRL. If everything checks out then you are done, congratulations!

Now go back into the anycut shortcut you created and move the radio button BACK to “mass storage” from “diagnostics.”

Now you are all set!

Credit to Armstrom and digi7al ph0enix

This is how i did it and it took me about 10 minutes and was so easy a caveman can (and did) do it. I will put it in "guide" form to make it easy for the rest of you. For people with questions about drivers...
im using win7 x64. I turned USB debugging on, plugged my phone into my PC, ran the "CDROM" driver setup thing that popped up and it installed the ADB driver (the rest auto installed for me). This is the way i did it, and i had 0 issues so just sayin.

MarkMcCoskey

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
I swapped to the 01115 PRL last night. It was a fairly simple process. I used the technique directly above, so no need to be fast at anything. Just relax and follow along.

On the first #2 where it says click this like; https://www1.virginmobileusa.com/myaccount/login.dofsdf

My biggest problem was that I had to run several times through the loading of the drivers and the rebooting of my phone, then I was able to move on to the QPST.

I see mention of other Sprint PRL's that are usable on the Triumph, namely 01119 and 01120. Would like to hear from someone in the know as to which is the better choice.

isai

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
im so stressed idk how to use the RL editor and idk how to do this step "With QPST open, open your ports tab and click “Add New Port”." i got the ports but idk whats next wheres the ports tab in the rl editor or how do i add a new port? im on windows 7

i think i found it i was using the wrong thing -.- jajaja sorryy i guess you can see im a nooob in this jajaja

aj888

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
So who here really got fast 3g speed with this PRL hack. It didnt do anything for me, tried 01115, 01119, 1120 and nothing changed.

idbl_fanatic

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I also added ro.product.rat=EvDo only to the build.prop file, as suggested on another forum, and it also seems to help battery life, I now have 0% Time Without Signal.

I am using the 0119 PRL

Reactions: anon283326

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheOzarks