Anyone return their Triumph and go back to the Optimus V?

theboundless

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I know there have been a lot of critical talk concerning the MT, mostly from people who actually never seen or touched a MT, but I was wondering, for those of us who have actually bought at own an MT, has anyone out there been so disappointed with it that they've actually refunded it and gone back to another phone, like the OV?

What where your reasons for returning your MT?

Tally: 5 so far

Will update accordingly.

NOTE: I should have been more explicit before, but I am only interested in those people who've gotten functional units and still nevertheless where so unimpressed they went back to the OV. I'm not counting here people who've just returned dysfunctional units.

NOTE 2: I'm not going to keep up with this thread anymore, its irreversibly become a thread about quality control, which was not the question I was interested in. I consider it my fault for not being more explicit and specific with my question. But continue to post and have fun.

Last edited:

one80oneday

Jan 25, 2011
twitter.com
I'm considering it because I can't get my wifi to work, GPS blows, camera has a yellowish blotch, and screen/buttons become unresponsive. I am really disappointed in the MT's build quality. If I can't exchange it than I will likely return it and wait the the OB.

michy9

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site

theboundless

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm considering it because I can't get my wifi to work, GPS blows, camera has a yellowish blotch, and screen/buttons become unresponsive. I am really disappointed in the MT's build quality. If I can't exchange it than I will likely return it and wait the the OB.
Man, sounds like you got a bad one. I don't have those issues... but if I did I'd be disappointed too! Are you considering a refund and maybe trying the MT again, hopefully getting a functional unit?

one80oneday

Jan 25, 2011
twitter.com
Man, sounds like you got a bad one. I don't have those issues... but if I did I'd be disappointed too! Are you considering a refund and maybe trying the MT again, hopefully getting a functional unit?

Yeah, I really just want a working MT. Hopefully BB will have some to exchange soon.

theboundless

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Can't see why. My phone has met or exceeded all my expectations so far.
I agree. Its just, many people have been so starkly critical of the MT (like its one of worst phones out there, and how the OV is such a better phone), I was wondering if anyone really backed up their words with actions.

Its one thing to say the MT is so much of a worst phone than the OV, and keep the MT (if its so bad, why'd you keep it?)

But its another thing to say the MT is so much of a worst phone than the OV, and actually get a refund and return to the OV.

Manicor

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I have both the OV & MT, and I will be keeping the MT for sure! I think the MT is by far the best of the two. I haven't had any problems that other people are saying. Guess I'm lucky.

Sent from my Motorola Triumph

Irate Iguana

Boss Status
Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I honestly want to upgrade, seeing as how it seems pretty good after its release, I just can't bring myself to fork over 300 bucks yet :3. Plus the radio seems to be horrific. When do you think they'll lower the price?

cbill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I agree. Its just, many people have been so starkly critical of the MT (like its one of worst phones out there, and how the OV is such a better phone), I was wondering if anyone really backed up their words with actions.

Its one thing to say the MT is so much of a worst phone than the OV, and keep the MT (if its so bad, why'd you keep it?)

But its another thing to say the MT is so much of a worst phone than the OV, and actually get a refund and return to the OV.
Thebo: For twice the price it isn't good enough that the MT is even just better! It should be a whole lot better. From what I am reading, many are finding while the phone has some desirable qualities, there are a lot of problems; some possibly hardware related. That is a spooky thing to me in view of the fact I have an OV that cost me half as much and has served (and is serving) me very well.

I purchased the MT several days before the official release date, with the thought in mind of watching the comments of the release day purchasers and keeping it if the comments were good. The phone sat on my desk, unopened, untill yesterday afternoon, when I returned it. The reason; far too many problems of a substantive nature. No, I did not hold it in my hot little hands, and make first hand tests of all the phones' features, and capabilities; I think there are othes that are perfectly capable of doing that .

It very well may be there are those such as yourself who received phones with few or no problems what-so-ever, but, to me, it looks more likely there may be some basic issues with this phone that will not be easily resolved.

Whatever the case, I still have my $300, and the cost of the phone has already come down at BB ($50 gift card offer). Therefore:

My worst case scenario; Should the phone prove out to be a very good phone, I can always buy it at a later date, probably for less money .

My best case scenario; If the phone is a very good one, I can buy it at a later date for considerably less money. If it does not prove out to be a very good phone, then I will have $300 to put toward an Optimus Black, if it is a very good phone (early preview indicate it will be).

So the reason I took it back is it puts me in a "WIN, WIN" situation. Most consider that an enviable position.

Hope it turns out to be all you expect! Good Luck.

Cbill

theboundless

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Thebo: For twice the price it isn't good enough that the MT is even just better! It should be a whole lot better. From what I am reading, many are finding while the phone has some desirable qualities, there are a lot of problems; some possibly hardware related. That is a spooky thing to me in view of the fact I have an OV that cost me half as much and has served (and is serving) me very well.

I purchased the MT several days before the official release date, with the thought in mind of watching the comments of the release day purchasers and keeping it if the comments were good. The phone sat on my desk, unopened, untill yesterday afternoon, when I returned it. The reason; far too many problems of a substantive nature. No, I did not hold it in my hot little hands, and make first hand tests of all the phones' features, and capabilities; I think there are othes that are perfectly capable of doing that .

It very well may be there are those such as yourself who received phones with few or no problems what-so-ever, but, to me, it looks more likely there may be some basic issues with this phone that will not be easily resolved.

Whatever the case, I still have my $300, and the cost of the phone has already come down at BB ($50 gift card offer). Therefore:

My worst case scenario; Should the phone prove out to be a very good phone, I can always buy it at a later date, probably for less money .

My best case scenario; If the phone is a very good one, I can buy it at a later date for considerably less money. If it does not prove out to be a very good phone, then I will have $300 to put toward an Optimus Black, if it is a very good phone (early preview indicate it will be).

So the reason I took it back is it puts me in a "WIN, WIN" situation. Most consider that an enviable position.

Hope it turns out to be all you expect! Good Luck.

Cbill
I almost had one check to tally :)

Allanito

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm comparing the MT and OV side by side...

I need to exchange for another MT but I'm liking the OV much better. The MT: screen is dim/dull. Touch response is clunky. GPS: non-functional. Never a lock. Random wierdness: startup sounds at random while charging, reboots. "Repair Phone F USB driver?" each time I connect to the desktop. Speaker phone complaints .vs. the OV people can't even tell it's speakerphone or say it's better.

Overall, from what I read, the MT qualify control is non-existent. Each phone is a 1 of a kind beast. Some great, some non-functional. It makes me worried how long it will last if it works, durability, etc. The OV has a good rep in comparison and it's cheaper to replace if destroyed.It's true: it would be awesome if it was solid. But it isn't.

theboundless

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm comparing the MT and OV side by side...

I need to exchange for another MT but I'm liking the OV much better. The MT: screen is dim/dull. Touch response is clunky. GPS: non-functional. Never a lock. Random wierdness: startup sounds at random while charging, reboots. "Repair Phone F USB driver?" each time I connect to the desktop. Speaker phone complaints .vs. the OV people can't even tell it's speakerphone or say it's better.

Overall, from what I read, the MT qualify control is non-existent. Each phone is a 1 of a kind beast. Some great, some non-functional. It makes me worried how long it will last if it works, durability, etc. The OV has a good rep in comparison and it's cheaper to replace if destroyed.It's true: it would be awesome if it was solid. But it isn't.
I hope you get a better MT so you can really see its benefits.

Some of the quality control issues you mentioned are true, but I don't think they're as serious as you say. I for example, have always gotten a gps lock. Touch response with the second layer taken off is quite good. And my computer connection is perfect, no continuing driver issues. This is not to downplay what you've experienced.

I remember when the HTC evo first came out, i was an early adopter as well. And the forums had a good number of people saying their phones had issues too. I think that's bound to happen with any newer phone. Sure, quality control is better for the OV, but lets not forget how old that phone is and how outdated the technology is! What you're getting with the MT is a second gen snapdragon processor and an adreno 205 gpu, the same used in the HTC Thunderbolt and Xperia Play, for about half the unsubsidized price of those phones. For modern technology, the price of the MT is a steal. Sure you can wait three or four years, and if the MT is still around it'll have the quality control of the OV today, but then the MT will be outdated just like the OV is today.

Its not like I think the OV is a terrible phone, as far as multimedia, games, 3d, and speed, its 3-4 year old technology.

johnp012001

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I honestly want to upgrade, seeing as how it seems pretty good after its release, I just can't bring myself to fork over 300 bucks yet :3. Plus the radio seems to be horrific. When do you think they'll lower the price?
I'm in the process of reactivating my OV. I'll let you know in a few days if the Triumph goes back, but right now I'm leaning towards a return. I'll sit on the sidelines while everyone works through all these bugs, and see how the developers do. But as is, I'd rather have my OV. Touch screen works, data works, gps works. I really wanted to love the T, but it's proving more irritating than anything right now.

videian

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Mine is going back as soon as I can find some time. I LOVE the screen and the speed of this thing, but the gps, wifi, radio, bluetooth, screen response, keyboard, headphone jack issues I have daily (that the OV has no issues on) have this going back.

Maybe I will give another one a try at a later date, but this one I have is a dog. How this could be let out of the factory is incredible, Motorola has seriously disappointed me.

The OV, while slow and tiny screen, has worked flawlessly... going to continue with that till something new comes out.

theboundless

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Mine is going back as soon as I can find some time. I LOVE the screen and the speed of this thing, but the gps, wifi, radio, bluetooth, screen response, keyboard, headphone jack issues I have daily (that the OV has no issues on) have this going back.

Maybe I will give another one a try at a later date, but this one I have is a dog. How this could be let out of the factory is incredible, Motorola has seriously disappointed me.

The OV, while slow and tiny screen, has worked flawlessly... going to continue with that till something new comes out.

Yeah, if I had any of the issues you did, I'd definitely bring it in for an exchange. But so far, mine's working great. I do everything on it, and the performance is so much better than the OV, it'd be hard for me to go back. So much of what I do on it I just wouldn't be able to do on the OV.

Retorrent

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm sitting on the side lines at this point, unlocked boot loader was my primary concern and now that its not I have consider buying. But these quality control issue are definitely making me wait once again. If they can be fixed with custom ROMS then I will make the jump, but if its due to crappy internal hardware then I will pass and wait for the OB.

I just feel that I shouldn't have to roll the dice on weather or not I get a good phone or not. Just seems a shame that you spend $300 and some people are already on their 2nd and 3rd phone.

theboundless

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm sitting on the side lines at this point, unlocked boot loader was my primary concern and now that its not I have consider buying. But these quality control issue are definitely making me wait once again. If they can be fixed with custom ROMS then I will make the jump, but if its due to crappy internal hardware then I will pass and wait for the OB.

I just feel that I shouldn't have to roll the dice on weather or not I get a good phone or not. Just seems a shame that you spend $300 and some people are already on their 2nd and 3rd phone.
Its not really a roll of the dice since you have the ability to exchange or refund. Just try it out, if you get a functional one you'll probably like it a lot, if not, refund, no harm no foul.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze