Anyone return their Triumph and go back to the Optimus V?

theboundless

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Nope, both had the same GPS, Wifi, Camera, Button problems so I gave up. Such a shame cus the phone had potential...

Yeah, I think if you would've gotten a working unit, you would have been impressed like a lot of us over here have been. Its not often you can get the internals of a phone like the HTC thunderbolt for half the price.

nickmiller71

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I think if you would've gotten a working unit, you would have been impressed like a lot of us over here have been. Its not often you can get the internals of a phone like the HTC thunderbolt for half the price.

Yeah dude, I agree. I'll admit, there are better phones out there, but for what you post per month, this its easily the best deal. The Optimus Black might be cool too, but who cares. This will treat me well enough for quite some time.

Sent from my Moto Triumph

bombaw8

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
The OV screen sure feels small after using the T for more than two weeks. :) If BB had another unit i might have given it a try. But since all they had was three other returns, it's probably for the best that I will just go sit on the sideline for now.

I was one of those that counted the days ever since the leaked news about T and got the phone 5 days before release. I really wanted to like it, but call me picky, I just couldn't ignore a nonworking gps on a $300 phone. Sure I see those other problems like light leakage, screen flickers, low signal level, bad battery life and unresponsive buttons but none were bad enough on my phone to warrant a return. At the same time, I can very well see someone else with a ok working gps but a light leakage so bad that he had to take it back. That is the worst part - you just don't know what's gonna come out of that box... What if it's something that you just didn't get to test till 30 days later? Will you be okay to warranty that in for a referb that could very well be the one that I just returned?

My suggestion, if you are still on the fence, is to wait. T is a better phone but if you already have a OV you are not missing anything that you couldn't live with for another month or two. Hopefully by then they will have worked out some of the kinks and you could get the T almost everywhere, for a bit cheaper well.

Last edited:

adeelmysore

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I have been using the T for the past three days and cant decide to keep it or not. GPS is my issue I can live with the other quirks (unresponsive buttons and touch) like I did when the intercept came out. But i use the gps all the time and with the optimus it had a lock as soon as I clicked on maps. With the T its between 5-10 mins! Also cant run navigation as most places I cant get a signal never had issues on the V for the past 4 months that I have had it. I am in the DC metro area. I barely use the phone for calling.

What I do love is that every single app runs on it and the big screen. I might return it till and buy it again later if these issues get resolved.

floridarick

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I know there have been a lot of critical talk concerning the MT, mostly from people who actually never seen or touched a MT, but I was wondering, for those of us who have actually bought at own an MT, has anyone out there been so disappointed with it that they've actually refunded it and gone back to another phone, like the OV?

What where your reasons for returning your MT?

Tally: 0 so far

Will update accordingly.

Seems the tally is up to 2 now,and possibly a few more.
I wonder why you are not updating accordingly like you state above?

easyguy

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Never, tried using the OV again yesterday after owning the MT for 2 weeks and I cannot stand the low resolution screen of the OV and the slow processor of the OV after using the MT. I liked the OV before, but now after going MT, I cannot go back. Sorry OV.

videian

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Mine went back this weekend, miss the big screen and the speed, but LOVE that I have a working phone again, any time I would try to do something on the MT, I would wonder if it was actually going to happen.

The OV just works, slow but works

bombaw8

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Mine went back this weekend, miss the big screen and the speed, but LOVE that I have a working phone again, any time I would try to do something on the MT, I would wonder if it was actually going to happen.

The OV just works, slow but works

there are things OV just cannot run primarily due to screen size/resolution. however, for the things that OV CAN run – which is pretty much 99%+ of all apps, if you do not count those 3d games (why would you want to play 3d games on a phone anyway?) – my OV with CM7 rom and overclocked 787Mhz cpu can run every bit as well as the T.

having the T was like having a girlfriend with a pretty face but also a complete drooling idiot. I am sure some may feel differently, but for me, i have been there and have no interest in going through it again.

Last edited:

theboundless

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Ok, that makes the "Tally: 3 so far"...................!!! :-\
What I meant in the first post (and I should have been more explicit) was has anyone had a functional unit, and nevertheless was so unimpressed that they've returned their MT and gone back to the OV. I totally understand returning dysfunctional units, but I wanted to focus on seen and experienced what the MT had to offer (which requires a functional unit) and still went back to the OV. I think according to this criterion, there's only been one so far.

theboundless

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
my OV with CM7 rom and overclocked 787Mhz cpu can run every bit as well as the T.

Do you actually own a MT or are you hypothezing? Because this statement is just patently false, and anyone who has actually owned at MT knows how much better things run on it. My OV was stable overclocked at 825, and I have used aospmod cm7, and even overclocked there was no comparison to a stock MT. I shudder to think about the gap once someone come out with a custom rom for the MT. And I'm not just talking about 3d applications, many times normal applications would take a long time to load on the OV, many times even the pop up keyboard would lag big time. And once you get to the multimedia stuff like netflix, playing videos, or playing games, there just is no comparison. That's because your'e getting the same internals (cpu and gpu) with the MT as the HTC Thunderbolt and the Sony Xperia play, for about half the price. As far as performance, there is no comparsion.

HatMaker

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Do you actually own a MT or are you hypothezing? Because this statement is just patently false, and anyone who has actually owned at MT knows how much better things run on it. My OV was stable overclocked at 825, and I have used aospmod cm7, and even overclocked there was no comparison to a stock MT. I shudder to think about the gap once someone come out with a custom rom for the MT. And I'm not just talking about 3d applications, many times normal applications would take a long time to load on the OV, many times even the pop up keyboard would lag big time. And once you get to the multimedia stuff like netflix, playing videos, or playing games, there just is no comparison. That's because your'e getting the same internals (cpu and gpu) with the MT as the HTC Thunderbolt and the Sony Xperia play, for about half the price. As far as performance, there is no comparsion.
I find theboundless and I have had opposite experiences of each other on the Triumph which I just chalk down to luck. However, I will 100% agree with boundless that the Optimus V is no match for the speed the Triumph has. There is no overclocked kernel the Optimus V could run that would get even close to what the Triumph has inside it. This is one of of the only reasons why I am keeping the Triumph over the Optimus V.

theboundless

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I find theboundless and I have had opposite experiences of each other on the Triumph which I just chalk down to luck. However, I will 100% agree with boundless that the Optimus V is no match for the speed the Triumph has. There is no overclocked kernel the Optimus V could run that would get even close to what the Triumph has inside it. This is one of of the only reasons why I am keeping the Triumph over the Optimus V.

Definitely agree, some people don't use their phones for anything that intensive, so the OV suits their demands just fine. I on the other had, love playing games and watching videos, etc. all the high demand stuff, and its really nice to have a phone that can perform at the multimedia level.

bombaw8

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
What I meant in the first post (and I should have been more explicit) was has anyone had a functional unit, and nevertheless was so unimpressed that they've returned their MT and gone back to the OV. I totally understand returning dysfunctional units, but I wanted to focus on seen and experienced what the MT had to offer (which requires a functional unit) and still went back to the OV. I think according to this criterion, there's only been one so far.

Lol, what a useless question this would be then? On paper T is in everyway superior than OV. If everything on the T had worked as they should, there?s absolutely no reason for a sane person to not like the T over OV.

You are not comparing apples to oranges, you are comparing an apple to a bigger apple. If someone tells you they didn?t like the bigger apple because it looks good from outside but is full of squirming worms on the inside, then it?s a perfectly good answer and an answer most people would probably be looking for.

Exactly what were you expecting when you tell people to ?take a bite of the bigger apple, tell me if you like it better than the smaller one, but ignore that mouth full of worms please.?

HatMaker

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Lol, what a useless question this would be then? On paper T is in everyway superior than OV. If everything on the T had worked as they should, there’s absolutely no reason for a sane person to not like the T over OV.

You are not comparing apples to oranges, you are comparing an apple to a bigger apple. If someone tells you they didn’t like the bigger apple because it looks good from outside but is full of squirming worms on the inside, then it’s a perfectly good answer and an answer most people would probably be looking for.

Exactly what were you expecting when you tell people to “take a bite of the bigger apple, tell me if you like it better than the smaller one, but ignore that mouth full of worms please.”
I don't think theboundless is lying about his experience with his phone or making facts up. He just happened to be very lucky and got a phone that worked for him mostly off the bat. I am up to my third Triumph and I still have a couple random hardware issues, but my third Triumph finally has somewhat of a workable GPS. I documented my random issues with all three Triumph's in the "2 MT's side by side" thread, but this phone just requires you to get lucky.

I am by no means suggesting a normal person happy with their Optimus V run out and grab a Triumph. I am only keeping my Triumph because of the hardware power and screen. I would only recommend this phone to someone if those were their major concerns. I just happened to be lucky enough with my third Triumph where the issues are minimal enough for me to not worry about. There is no such thing as quality control and testing when they made the Triumph, so if you plan to buy one cross your fingers and hope you don't get a lemon. I am aware that sounds ridiculous, but that's how the Triumph is for many people including me right now.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary