Data Speeds AFTER Switching to the Sprint PRL

Kmm730

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Data speeds increase with the Sprint PRL because we no longer have second priority over Sprint's towers, we have first priority. This was tested at my house, where I have the full 4 bars, although I've dropped to 1x a couple of times which didn't really happen at my house under Virgin Mobile. The speeds were:
Time:12:06 PM Ping:192ms Download: 1799 kbps Upload:626kbps
Time: 4:00 AM Ping: 175ms Download: 2102kbps Upload:659kbps
Time:11:23 PM Ping: 267ms Download: 1375kbps Upload:618kbps

The first and third would probably be at times of high traffic on the service, and the 2nd would be at low traffic, either way, the speeds are blazing, and it would have been hard for me to find 2102kbps under Virgin Mobile.

MarkMcCoskey

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Did you install Sprint's 01115 PRL? I did the night before last, although I hear some are using 01119 or 01120.

While my data speeds seem to be about the same, my call reception and clarity seems to be significantly better.

rrspikes

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I swapped to 01120 yesterday just to see what would happen when I was at work today. To my surprise, I have enough signal to maintain a conference call lasting roughly 2hrs and the call was crystal clear.

I have also noticed that I can use data inside the building were I work. It's slow, but it's there but that's better than nothing I reckon.

I'll try another PRL next week to see it there is any change whether it be for better or worse.

The biggest benefit has been battery life. I've been at work since 7am and still have 47% battery life left. This is with the conference call using BT, placing/receiving several other calls, texting and using the web for an hour or so. I'd have had to charge up long before now on the original PRL.

doctadunk

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
well i did it and they are the same speeds for me 100kbps-200kbps but i only have 1-2 bars of signal like before

here is a copy and paste from what i did

REQUIRED TOOLS/SOFTWARE:

Motorola Triumph USB cable- Others may work but this cable was designed for use with the phone, use it if possible.
Stock Phone Driver- Found on the phone when connected via USB. This driver should be installed before attempting any modifications.
QPST 2.7 Build 366- This is what I use, other versions may work as well.
Sprint PRL 01115- This is the latest version of the Sprint PRL and includes the most recently added towers. Using another carriers PRL might eventually allow the Triumph to be used on another carrier if you can get the ESN added to that carriers database, but that's another issue that I'll leave for someone else to test down the road. Just use the Sprint PRL.
MotoConnect- Not technically required but makes the detection process easier due to notification windows.
NOTE: Phone does not need to be rooted to complete this guide.

HOW TO SWAP YOUR PRL:

First things first, make sure you have the required software and drivers installed and that they appear to be working correctly.

Now its time to get your MSL. Thanks goes to mmarz over at XDA for originally discovering this method.

1. Log into your Virgin Mobile account.
2. Click this link.
3. Although you get a 404 error page, search the page for "msl:"
4. The six numbers after msl: are your MSL code. Write them down.

Now that you have your MSL I suggest you put it into a notepad document and save it.

1. Install Anycut from the android market (it's free)
2. Open Anycut and select "New Shortcut"
3. Now click Activity
4. Scroll down the list of activities until you see "Select COM Port Mode" and click it. Just hit ok to accept the default name
5. You will see a "shortcut created" notification. Go back to your homescreen and look for the new shortcut
6. Once you click the new shortcut you'll see three radio buttons. Simply change from Mass Storage to Diag and your debugging port will be on all the time.

Make sure your phone has USB debugging enabled.

connect phone to the PC and drivers will install automagically. Once its up and assuming all drivers took fine, in device manager look under ?ports? and look for diagnostic android interface (or something like that). The other port is the modem port and not needed in this guide.

Now that we have our COM port identified, its time to start up QPST. With QPST open, open your ports tab and click ?Add New Port?. Select the port you just identified. (the android interface one)Once added, select ?service programming? from one of the drop down menus on the top bar of QPST.

Now click ?Read From Phone? in QPST. You will be prompted for your MSL code which you should be able to copy and paste (or just type in) to gain access to edit your phone.

Now that you have access, open the ?Roam? tab in QPST. Near the bottom you will see an option to write a new PRL from a file. This is where the PRL file you downloaded earlier comes in. Make sure you have unzipped the file, then browse to it from QPST and select it. Once selected, click ?write to phone? and your phone will reboot. When the phone is back up, verify the new PRL. If everything checks out then you are done, congratulations!

Now go back into the anycut shortcut you created and move the radio button BACK to ?mass storage? from ?diagnostics.?

Now you are all set!

Credit to Armstrom and digi7al ph0enix

wolfmeister

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
i did the PRL switch and tested a few out. in my area it seems to be that the 01120 PRL works the best. my Time Without Signal was at 80-95% all the time. but now my TWS is around 25-35! HUGE improvement! i also used to get at MOST 1 bar! but now i get 2-3 bars. and it took a little while to kick in, about 12 hours, until i noticed the TWS started to decrease. give it some time before you say "this sucks, it doesnt work."

scoutconnor

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
i did the PRL switch and tested a few out. in my area it seems to be that the 01120 PRL works the best. my Time Without Signal was at 80-95% all the time. but now my TWS is around 25-35! HUGE improvement! i also used to get at MOST 1 bar! but now i get 2-3 bars. and it took a little while to kick in, about 12 hours, until i noticed the TWS started to decrease. give it some time before you say "this sucks, it doesnt work."
Where did you get a working 01120 PRL? I've tried two and QPST says that they are empty or invalid.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay