Is this phone really a FAIL???

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm honestly thinking of saving money (bills ect) and going Pre-paid and getting the Triumph (just until the Optimus Black hits Virgin Mobile) I asked my Mobile at Best Buy here in Tampa, FL and they have had 0 returns or exchanges on the Triumph. Said it sold very well.. I read so many problems with this phone on this forum and want to hear from the people who DON'T have problems with this phone and is it worth getting when I go to Pre-Paid???

Thanks,
-Allen

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
4 best buys near me said that EXACT same thing, but i already know people who returned their phone to some of those stores.

i wouldnt fully trust a sales rep, they are trying to sell you a phone afterall. they wouldnt say something to discourage you.

if you are really into saving money, you would do well by getting the Optimus V. its a very nice, stable phone with no problems. the bugs have been worked out since its been on the market so long.

by the time comes for you to get the optimus Black, it will feel like an upgrade due to the bigger screen and faster cpu.

but dont let that get you into thinking the Optimus V is a slow phone by any means, its very, very nice actually.

besides, the V is 150$ and you know it doesnt have major problems. the triumph is 300$ and its very well known that it has issues that havent been fixed yet.

im waiting to get a triumph myself but only after i hear reports of the newer phones issues fixed and when a gingerbread rom comes out.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
4 best buys near me said that EXACT same thing, but i already know people who returned their phone to some of those stores.

i wouldnt fully trust a sales rep, they are trying to sell you a phone afterall. they wouldnt say something to discourage you.

if you are really into saving money, you would do well by getting the Optimus V. its a very nice, stable phone with no problems. the bugs have been worked out since its been on the market so long.

by the time comes for you to get the optimus Black, it will feel like an upgrade due to the bigger screen and faster cpu.

but dont let that get you into thinking the Optimus V is a slow phone by any means, its very, very nice actually.

besides, the V is 150$ and you know it doesnt have major problems. the triumph is 300$ and its very well known that it has issues that havent been fixed yet.

im waiting to get a triumph myself but only after i hear reports of the newer phones issues fixed and when a gingerbread rom comes out.

Thanks for the tips. I was going to get the Optimus V until I heard about the Triumph. Maybe I should just get that until the Black comes out...

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the tips. I was going to get the Optimus V until I heard about the Triumph. Maybe I should just get that until the Black comes out...
I've owned the intercept, optimus v, and triumph, and the triumph is by far the best in my opinion. He is right about the optimus being a nice phone, but performance wise it doesnt even come close to the triumph. On froyo overclocked to 825 mhz i scored around 610 with the optimus with quadrant standard. The triumph can overclock to 1.9 ghz and i got 2960 on the same os. The only real problem i ever have with the triumph is the back key sometimes doesnt work, but turning the screen off and on fixes that. If you read around just about all the issues have been worked out. I absolutely love the phone.

scoutconnor

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I've owned the intercept, optimus v, and triumph, and the triumph is by far the best in my opinion. He is right about the optimus being a nice phone, but performance wise it doesnt even come close to the triumph. On froyo overclocked to 825 mhz i scored around 610 with the optimus with quadrant standard. The triumph can overclock to 1.9 ghz and i got 2960 on the same os. The only real problem i ever have with the triumph is the back key sometimes doesnt work, but turning the screen off and on fixes that. If you read around just about all the issues have been worked out. I absolutely love the phone.

How'd you overclock the Triumph?

doctadunk

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
my phone has no problems, i had intercept, optimus v, and now triumph.

large screen, system runs fast, web pages load much faster than optimus v on wifi. its a great phone.

lwlamar

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I love my triumph. It is fast and has a great screen and plenty of memory for apps. You won't be disappointed unless you get a defective one.

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk

theboundless

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm honestly thinking of saving money (bills ect) and going Pre-paid and getting the Triumph (just until the Optimus Black hits Virgin Mobile) I asked my Mobile at Best Buy here in Tampa, FL and they have had 0 returns or exchanges on the Triumph. Said it sold very well.. I read so many problems with this phone on this forum and want to hear from the people who DON'T have problems with this phone and is it worth getting when I go to Pre-Paid???

Thanks,
-Allen
The triumph was a great upgrade from my optimus, I can't imagine going back, and mine was fine the first time (I never had to exchange it).

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site

of course the triumph is going to be more powerful. that doesnt mean its a great phone YET.

it has too many manufacturing problems (back button as you mentioned, screen flicker, touch screen issues) the OV has been out for long enough that the first batch of phones kinks were worked out. now 99% of OVs are up to spec and perform well.

you can wait another month and get a triumph that has a better reliability factor, but its still made by huawei. gotta give them credit for trying, but they actually are well known for making kinda *cough* crappy phones. and it shows.

when LG releases the optimus Black for Virgin, I have no doubt in my mind that it wont be without its own share of first run manufacturing issues, but given LGs history, they will be minimal and the entire phone will be of higher quality from the start.

They already have the "Optimus" brand name to live up to. they know they have to make a great phone for the prepaid and budget markets, they knew that with the Optimus One line as well

*edit* im not flaming on the triumph. I think it has potential, but im giving my opinion to the OP that if they want a good phone right NOW the options are

1. try your luck with the triumph, might get lucky, might get a crap one.
2. buy the cheaper OV for the meantime and get the reliability of a matured phone, at least until the black rolls out or wait and see if the Triumph gets more reliable. becuase its clear that it has problems right now that the V doesnt

Godbilla

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I have had the Intercept, OV, and now the motorola triumph. The Triumph is by far my favorite. The Intercept and OV both had issues that weren't fixed until custom roms. And CM7 is currently in the works for the Triumph. In the test build it got a Quadrant score of above 2400.
I personally think it is an awesome phone stock. With CM7 this phone will be insane.

db_geek

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded from the Optimus to the Triumph, too. No problems whatsoever with my phone. My personal opinion is that the vast majority of the phones are just fine. Most people who buy the phones just use them for average usage and don't bother with these forums. The only people who search out the forums are those that want to learn more tricks with the phone (like me) or those that are having problems. I think that's the only reason that we're seeing a high percentage of posts with people having issues; the average person just doesn't look for a forum to post how great his/her new phone is. When was the last time you sought out a forum to tell the world how great your brand new toaster or pair of shoes was? That is the way most people feel about their smartphones; as long they're working as designed, there's no need to talk about them.

I've had absolutely none of the problems being reported. Am I lucky? I doubt it. I'm betting that most of the Triumphs are just fine. Again, just my personal opinion.

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
The back button bug would be enough of a deal breaker for me. That kind of stuff drives me up a wall. When I press a button I want it to register. I don't want to wonder whether it worked or not.

Sent from my VM670

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded from the Optimus to the Triumph, too. No problems whatsoever with my phone. My personal opinion is that the vast majority of the phones are just fine. Most people who buy the phones just use them for average usage and don't bother with these forums. The only people who search out the forums are those that want to learn more tricks with the phone (like me) or those that are having problems. I think that's the only reason that we're seeing a high percentage of posts with people having issues; the average person just doesn't look for a forum to post how great his/her new phone is. When was the last time you sought out a forum to tell the world how great your brand new toaster or pair of shoes was? That is the way most people feel about their smartphones; as long they're working as designed, there's no need to talk about them.

I've had absolutely none of the problems being reported. Am I lucky? I doubt it. I'm betting that most of the Triumphs are just fine. Again, just my personal opinion.

very good point.

its also easy to see the flip side considering huaweis rep for phone quality.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I have had the Intercept, OV, and now the motorola triumph. The Triumph is by far my favorite. The Intercept and OV both had issues that weren't fixed until custom roms. And CM7 is currently in the works for the Triumph. In the test build it got a Quadrant score of above 2400.
I personally think it is an awesome phone stock. With CM7 this phone will be insane.

What is CM7?

aj888

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I just rooted my OV with this and my battery is 100X better now. Before it would die by the end of the day now it will go a couple days so i cant wait for it for the MT so it will last a lot long.