I just picked up my Triumph on the Cyber Monday sale for roughly $103 and some change after all was said and done. I had been debating getting it and replacing my Optimus V ever since it came out but I was not going to shell out $300 for it. So anyways, I have it now and I have moved the files needed around for root access so I can run Titanium Backup. I have also installed the thunderbolt build.prop file, bKernel, and CWR. Now on to the external parts, that is where my questions come in.

I have an otterbox on my OV and for the most part I have had some kind of case on just about every touchscreen device I have ever owned. My day job is in IT so I am mostly behind a desk but sometimes I am under a desk fishing wires and such. After hours I have a lawn maintenance business and I fix cars on the side. So I really have a varying extreme of what I do and I need my phone to hang with me through all of that. I know that the Triumph has a "screen protector" on it stock as most have said but does it need anything else? What is a good case that will protect against the accidental drop and the occasional greasy hand? I see quite a few on amazon but mostly they are just silicon skins which I have never had luck with since they stretch out fairly quickly with all the in and out of pocket use. Plus the collect pocket lint like it is going out of style! I would be open to a belt clip/holster though.

Anyone have some reviews/thoughts on the above? Thanks in advance!
    12-06-2011 08:21 AM
    i just bought this....reviews are good and some people on android forums gave it a good rep.

Amazon.com: Black Hard Case Cover for Motorola Triumph WX435: Cell Phones & Accessories
    DrHenley likes this.
    12-06-2011 01:48 PM
    definately get a Hard Case.

the triumph body is plastic and isnt re-enforced inside. you can actually grab the phone on the top and bottom and twist and bend it as if it was rubber.

I sat on mine once and it stayed curved until I bent it back.

I know the gorilla glass can take bending, but the circuit boards inside cant.. I worry i might literally snap my phone in half.

until I get my machinist friend to design and CNC an alluminum body that I can transfer the guts into, im stuck with this plastic shell, and I make do with a decent cheap hardcase from ebay like iSnow mentioned
    iSnow likes this.
    12-06-2011 01:58 PM
    Hard case... got it! Now what about a carry case like a holster that this will fit in with the above mentioned case on it? And should I worry about a screen protector or not? Only thing that bothers me is the grease when I am working on cars.
    12-06-2011 02:03 PM
    I was in the same situation with a good OV, but the cybermonday deal was too good to pass up. I don't like cases, and think a screen protector is enough, but I don't work in those extreme conditions either. The MT is already too big for my comfort (physical size, screen size is just perfect).
    12-06-2011 02:30 PM
    im a motorcycle mechanic, i get greasier and dirtier than anyone alive and i dont worry about a thing.

I took off the "screen protector" and just use the bare gorilla glass. its strong enough on its own and cleans JUST fine with windex and a microfiber cloth. been doin this on all my phones.

I'll have my phone blasting music while I work and sometimes ill need to look up references online and i usually just dry my hands on a towel, use the phone, and worry about any grease later. otherwise when Im using gloves i just pull the thumbs out and use the phone without worry of dirtying it

a tip from one mechanic to another, start using nitrile gloves, trust me it makes the mechanic work easier and keeps your girlfriend from being disgusted by your hands later that night. you know how it is when your hands smell like oil for days or weeks after one big job. it sucks. I didnt have any gloves left the other day and now my hands smell like used motor oil from a 1970 honda that never had an oil change... its a bad smell..

a holster is a good idea, you can go to a place like best buy or frys electronics and find a generic one thats oversized enough to fit the phone + case.

I happened to make a nice one myself out of leather (im a DIY guy) but ive seen good ones at stores that will fit much bigger phones than the MT.
    12-06-2011 03:44 PM
    im a motorcycle mechanic, i get greasier and dirtier than anyone alive and i dont worry about a thing.

I took off the "screen protector" and just use the bare gorilla glass. its strong enough on its own and cleans JUST fine with windex and a microfiber cloth. been doin this on all my phones.
    I will give that a shot. I usually just use the microfiber cloth alone, good to know that windex is "approved"

I'll have my phone blasting music while I work and sometimes ill need to look up references online ...
    That's me too!

..a tip from one mechanic to another, start using nitrile gloves, trust me it makes the mechanic work easier and keeps your girlfriend from being disgusted by your hands later that night. you know how it is when your hands smell like oil for days or weeks after one big job. it sucks. I didnt have any gloves left the other day and now my hands smell like used motor oil from a 1970 honda that never had an oil change... its a bad smell..
    My wife is used to it though. I tend to go through a box of those gloves in one engine swap so I just gave up and use some good degreaser. I will say though I HATE the smell of manual transmission fluid, new or old! That smell just stays around forever.

a holster is a good idea, you can go to a place like best buy or frys electronics and find a generic one thats oversized enough to fit the phone + case.

I happened to make a nice one myself out of leather (im a DIY guy) but ive seen good ones at stores that will fit much bigger phones than the MT.
    I will be on the lookout for a holster. I am a DIY kinda guy too but my DIY stuff usually takes a few years to complete. lol

Thanks for the input.
    12-06-2011 03:50 PM

I will be on the lookout for a holster. I am a DIY kinda guy too but my DIY stuff usually takes a few years to complete. lol

Thanks for the input.
    lol wow. I cant let things sit.

I've rebuilt entire bikes (drop motor, rebuild electricals, strip body/frame, paint, rebuild, tune, test) in under 3 days just becuase I hate seeing an unfinished project sitting in my shop.
    12-06-2011 03:57 PM
    lol wow. I cant let things sit.

I've rebuilt entire bikes (drop motor, rebuild electricals, strip body/frame, paint, rebuild, tune, test) in under 3 days just becuase I hate seeing an unfinished project sitting in my shop.
    Customer stuff gets done asap. A typical engine swap for us takes roughly a day with some of the more radical ones taking a week or so. My personal stuff on the other hand..... well let's just say my personal MR2 has been on jack stands for roughly 3 years now. Partially due to funds or lack thereof but mostly due to staying super busy with customer stuff. I have changed my mind about 5 times on what engine is going back in it and the best way to do it. In the end I am going back stock.

But anywho back on the topic at hand.
    iSnow likes this.
    12-06-2011 04:09 PM
    They were not kidding when the reviews said this thing sucks battery! I started using the Triumph exclusively yesterday and with just normal use, same as my OV, I would get a few hours of use out of it before the battery was near dead. I am looking for some tips on what to do to help that. Also I noticed a high time without signal so I am looking into this.

Also, no matter what PC I plug my phone into I cannot for the life of me get it to install the HSUSB drivers. It just simply cannot find them. I need them so I can install the ADB drivers from the built in "cd drive" on the phone. Then maybe I can update the PRL and such.
    12-10-2011 09:27 PM
    They were not kidding when the reviews said this thing sucks battery! I started using the Triumph exclusively yesterday and with just normal use, same as my OV, I would get a few hours of use out of it before the battery was near dead. I am looking for some tips on what to do to help that. Also I noticed a high time without signal so I am looking into this.

Also, no matter what PC I plug my phone into I cannot for the life of me get it to install the HSUSB drivers. It just simply cannot find them. I need them so I can install the ADB drivers from the built in "cd drive" on the phone. Then maybe I can update the PRL and such.
    I am running CM7 + TheOC kernel, and with 3G, Wifi, BT, GPS all off (except when needed), just cell radio on, it idles at less than 1%/hr drain. The Stock ROM is very buggy, and I would suggest upgrading to CM7 Gingerbread which fixes a lot of things, even then you have to make sure there are apps that don't use data in the background too much that drains the battery.

This guide should help get you started.

Motorola Triumph Root Guide (11/27/2011) - Android Forums

For installing ADB drivers:

Extracted Triumph ADB drivers - Android Forums
    12-11-2011 12:18 AM
    i just bought this....reviews are good and some people on android forums gave it a good rep.

Amazon.com: Black Hard Case Cover for Motorola Triumph WX435: Cell Phones & Accessories
    I have it...works great, I recommend getting it for the protection of the phone. It will fit into almost any phone case as well with it on.
    03-17-2012 07:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD