Questions on updating my rooted DX to rooted GB

eklisiewicz

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I have a Droid X that I rooted from stock Froyo with z4root. I want to upgrade to rooted Gingerbread. My understanding is that there is no direct way to get from my current rooted OS to Gingerbred rooted, that I have to flash with an SBF of stock Froyo. Is that correct?

I found this installation guide on alldroid.org and the steps mostly seemed reasonable.

Droid X Gingerbread 4.5.588 Rooted Installation Guide (THIS IS THE LATEST VERSION) - Droid X Releases - AllDroid Public Board

However, I am not clear on a few things (I posted on the alldroid.org forum but did not get an answer). Please note these questions are based on the referenced procedure.

1. Why would I need to run z4root again when I have already used it to get to my current state. Wouldn't that just put me back to where I am now?

2. For backup, I believe I need to first do a Nandroid backup using the DX (or D2?) Bootstrap app (I have both). However, while I know this works like a system restore, if I get this root to GB to work, how do I just get my apps back so I don't have to reinstall them? I have Titanium and I did a backup of all user apps + system data. Is the system data particular to Froyo? If so, it doesn't seem like it would have much use. So maybe I need to do a user apps backup, which I can bring back once I am rooted to Gingerbread. Does this sound correct?

Any info is appreciated. Thank you.

eklisiewicz

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I have performed the Nandroid backup and I backed up all my user apps with Titanium.

I still am questioning why the install instructions at alldroid.org say to use z4root after sbfing back to stock Froyo. Since it won't root Gingerbread, and since I am already at root, using z4root after sbfing would merely return me to the rooted state I am at now.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Once you SBF your phone back to froyo your actually are not rooted .(not using any nandroid backups)
Thats why you need z4root to root froyo you just SBFed back to ;)
Then you can proceede to install GB (GingerBread is pre rooted)
Then you can get titanium backup and restore you app with app data only (not system data)

http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/...-5-596-release-thread-something-everyone.html <--GB link

Last edited:

eklisiewicz

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Once you SBF your phone back to froyo your actually are not rooted .(not using any nandroid backups)
Thats why you need z4root to root froyo you just SBFed back to ;)
Then you can proceede to install GB (GingerBread is pre rooted)
Then you can get titanium backup and restore you app with app data only (not system data)

Official DX Gingerbread 2.3.3 (4.5.596) Release Thread - Something for everyone <--GB link
Thank you. I discovered this while following the very good instructions in that link. the only hiccup was that when I sbfed back to stock Froyo, I lost my phone calling capability. This returned after setting up the phone through Gingerbread. Now it is downloading a ton of apps through the Market. once that process is complete, I can get the rest of my apps from Titanium. I expect it to go well.

eklisiewicz

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
My phone is now rooted with the Gingerbread release. I was finally able to restore my apps from the Market, but I had to do it piecemeal. I then restored a bunch of apps through Titanium and then trimmed back the ones I didn't want. Using Root Explorer to clear off the VZW bloat, I now have the phone to where I want it. Which means, time to do a Nandroid backup of this configuration.