RSDLite issues

MasterKtulu

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
First of all I want to apologize for my ignorance. I have tried researching this and searching the forums but I can never find anything that is specific to what I need help with. Only bits and pieces that go off on tangents that do nothing more but confuse me further.

The issue I am running into is that I have a Droid X on Verizon with 2.2 Froyo. I have not been able to update this sob because I jumped the gun and rooted my phone and deleted bloatware before I made a backup. I made a post about this the other day and was directed to use RSDLite and SBF my phone. It isn't working and I am afraid that I will brick my phone if I start messing with settings. My end goal here is to fully update my phone and get to Gingerbread. My idea was to revert to MF settings and then upgrade OTA and after that re-root. I just can't get that far.

I will post my phone details and how I am trying to do this:

I have a DroidX on Verizon. 2.2 Froyo. Version.2.3.15.MB10.Verizon.en.US -ERI 5 -PRL 52363. I currently have Ubuntu 10.10 running VirtualBox with Windows XP. The RSDLite 4.9 is installed there along with the SBF I am trying to use [VRZ_MB810_2.3.34_1FF_01.sbf]

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated!!

roberte1342

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
First of all I want to apologize for my ignorance. I have tried researching this and searching the forums but I can never find anything that is specific to what I need help with. Only bits and pieces that go off on tangents that do nothing more but confuse me further.

The issue I am running into is that I have a Droid X on Verizon with 2.2 Froyo. I have not been able to update this sob because I jumped the gun and rooted my phone and deleted bloatware before I made a backup. I made a post about this the other day and was directed to use RSDLite and SBF my phone. It isn't working and I am afraid that I will brick my phone if I start messing with settings. My end goal here is to fully update my phone and get to Gingerbread. My idea was to revert to MF settings and then upgrade OTA and after that re-root. I just can't get that far.

I will post my phone details and how I am trying to do this:

I have a DroidX on Verizon. 2.2 Froyo. Version.2.3.15.MB10.Verizon.en.US -ERI 5 -PRL 52363. I currently have Ubuntu 10.10 running VirtualBox with Windows XP. The RSDLite 4.9 is installed there along with the SBF I am trying to use [VRZ_MB810_2.3.34_1FF_01.sbf]

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated!!

Since you are already running linux it is much easier.
Copy the sbf file you want to flash and the sbf_flash utility to a directory.

Put the phone in bootloader mode (Power, Vol up, Camera after battery insert)
Connect the cable.
$ cd /directory_containing_above_files
$ chmod 755 sbf_flash
$ ./sbf_flash VRZ_MB810_2.3.34_1FF_01.sbf

Take a 15 minute break.
Much easier than RSDLite especially trying to do it in a VM.

Keep in mind there currently is no path to root if you get the OTA. See the sticky for the steps needed to keep root in GB.

Last edited:

MasterKtulu

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Wow! That sounds so much easier! Thank you. So to clarify, I am basically slapping both the sbf file I am trying to flash in and that above utility into the same dir and BAM? Makes so much more sense.

I'll look into the OTA/Root issue. Thanks for the heads up on that. Is there a way to flash the sbf and then just force instal Gingerbread with like a .zip from somewhere and just keep root and not even have to worry about bloatware?

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
So to clarify, I am basically slapping both the sbf file I am trying to flash in and that above utility into the same dir and BAM? Makes so much more sense.

In the example above, yes. Obviously you can put the files wherever you want, but that gets a little more confusing.

I'll look into the OTA/Root issue. Thanks for the heads up on that. Is there a way to flash the sbf and then just force instal Gingerbread with like a .zip from somewhere and just keep root and not even have to worry about bloatware?

There is a process to SBF back to stock Froyo and then do a two-part flash to GB with a rooted image. I've got my notes on the process here in case it helps.

MasterKtulu

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
In the example above, yes. Obviously you can put the files wherever you want, but that gets a little more confusing.

There is a process to SBF back to stock Froyo and then do a two-part flash to GB with a rooted image. I've got my notes on the process here in case it helps.
Thanks! Your link doesn't work by the way.

MasterKtulu

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys for all the info! I was successful in getting my phone ported to 2.3.3. There was a few stomach wrenching moments where I thought all was lost but I got it all over. All the apps and data and I'm still rooted.

I really appreciate it!

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
That's the nice thing about learning how to SBF, it's now really hard to lose everything (unless you count app data as everything, but if I lose my place in a game and I'm upset at having to play it over again it must not have been a very good game!). Congrats and enjoy your "new" phone.

MasterKtulu

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Oh I am already enjoying it! It is so much nicer :) I have Zeam launcher and it is having this weird issue where after I exit some apps it just doesn't load the images. There are still apps and widgets because if I tap the screen they load. But it is completely blank home page. Weird. It could be Zeam (since it just updated) or something is wrong with the SBF I did. Not sure. :\