Rooting and installing a ROM without a computer

DCBCANES

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
HI all i am new to the whole rooting and rom thing. I have a insurance replacement dx and would like to try rooting and installing liberty or cryogen(i know i probably murdered the spelling) but i don't have a pc. i know i can use z4root to root the device but im not sure what benefits that alone will give. Any information would be a great help. Thanks

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
HI all i am new to the whole rooting and rom thing. I have a insurance replacement dx and would like to try rooting and installing liberty or cryogen(i know i probably murdered the spelling) but i don't have a pc. i know i can use z4root to root the device but im not sure what benefits that alone will give. Any information would be a great help. Thanks

I haven't rooted with z4 and not sure if it works on the current build. If it does you don't need a computer. Just root with the app. Then dl clockwork and run that. Get the bootstrap going and then you can flash the roms.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
z4 will only work if your phone is on a froyo build. if your replacement x came with gingerbread already on it, you would have to sbf back to froyo, which would require a computer

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
And you should never attempt to install a ROM without having a computer around just in case something goes wrong. Without the ability to SBF you may end up with a paperweight until you get to a PC.

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
And you should never attempt to install a ROM without having a computer around just in case something goes wrong. Without the ability to SBF you may end up with a paperweight until you get to a PC.
imagine doing a sbf at your local library..how cool would that be! Anybody?

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
imagine doing a sbf at your local library..how cool would that be! Anybody?

If you can get them to boot a Linux distro from a CD or Flash drive that would be even better. The DoD has a distro just for that purpose, when you're stuck using a public PC and and to have security without touching the underlying OS. In this case, that security is using sbf_flash instead of trying to get RSD Lite on the Windows ME installed at the local library ;)

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

Well some have tried with success using TeamBlackHats Monster Zip file (found in their app as Full 2.3.340 SBF file) from Gingerbread, yes Gingerbread, to SBF back to stock Froyo using clockwork alone. The key is according to the thread is to flash the file and reboot, nothing else or risk a brick. My buddy is coming over this week so I can help him flash MIUI and he's on the latest Gingerbread, guess how we'll be flashing back to froyo..I'll keep you guys posted.

[HOW TO] Install/Revert Gingerbread

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci