Anyone rooted successfully accept new OTA update?

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Anyone on regular rooted GB successfully accept the new OTA update and have it work (other than losing root)?

I'm considering trying it and but would like to know if anyone else has done so successfully. I'm already sick of clicking "install later" and not feeling the love to sbf back to froyo and start all over. If I just lose root I can live with it. :)

Thanks.

GlueFactoryBJJ

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I don't believe you can/will get the OTA if you are rooted. I believe the only route is to SBF, then accept the update.

BTW, P3Droid is supposed to have already rooted this version and will have a new version out soon.

Scott

jcarlosfox

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
I WAS rooted. Accepted the OTA. Install went fine. Lost root. Don't notice any changes or improvements. The threads say there is a new radio. Have not noticed any improvement with call quality.

Reactions: Oj467

nedqadams

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
So here's something interesting. I was rooted and updated fine. Not surprisingly, I tried to use bootstrapper to get into clockwork recovery and no joy.
However, a few hours later when I restarted the phone I booted into recovery.
So sort of rooted?

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
So here's something interesting. I was rooted and updated fine. Not surprisingly, I tried to use bootstrapper to get into clockwork recovery and no joy.
However, a few hours later when I restarted the phone I booted into recovery.
So sort of rooted?

Was your phone plugged in to the charger or your pc or had it been prior to the restart?

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Think I'm gonna hold off and stay rooted with a working Wireless Tether.

Not sure my hacked wireless tether will continue working even with a rooted .602 and until I find some confirmation of that I'll just keep pressing "install later" and see what comes of the p3droid .602. I know it's petty but being able to surf on my iPad (even if it's just for an hour in the evening) when we go to camp for the weekend is just important enough to sit tight.

anon(19758)

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Wireless Tether still works for you? Lucky. Mine takes the PC and my dx to a "you should really pay for tethering" paywall. So very annoying.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

dahlheim

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
the battery pull doesn't work on my phone. tried it with and without charger, usb connex to computer. also tried pulling bat during boot. no dice. droid 2 bootstrapper has lost root so it doesn't seem to help. :-/

blaidth

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
no prob installing the ota from 596 rooted tbh, but lost root.

some here claim success, but i can't get back into clockwork recovery using the mentioned method(s)...

.602 rooted without SBF'g or wiping!

I did it this way and retained root. Make sure you dl the new su file. Then accept the update, after phone reboots and says updated success, do the battery pull with phone still on. This takes you into bootstrapper cwr. Then install su file. Reboot and your good. Well it worked for me, hopefully for you too. Read the link a few times make sure you get it right

dahlheim

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
"... do the battery pull with phone still on. This takes you into bootstrapper cwr."

nope, that's the problem, it doesn't. i've tried numerous times, with and without charger plugged in. no go. i've got a lot of experience following detailed directions.

WAldenIV

MacGyver Wannabe
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
"... do the battery pull with phone still on. This takes you into bootstrapper cwr."

nope, that's the problem, it doesn't. i've tried numerous times, with and without charger plugged in. no go. i've got a lot of experience following detailed directions.

Do you see the "hijack" and "logwrapper.bin" files in /system/bin?

If not, I think you need to obtain these files and copy them to system/bin. Then the battery pull should boot into clockwork recovery. I think that you need to bootstrap before following this procedure.