09-05-2011 08:52 PM
32 12
tools
    Anyone on regular rooted GB successfully accept the new OTA update and have it work (other than losing root)?

I'm considering trying it and but would like to know if anyone else has done so successfully. I'm already sick of clicking "install later" and not feeling the love to sbf back to froyo and start all over. If I just lose root I can live with it.

Thanks.
    08-16-2011 11:24 AM
    I don't believe you can/will get the OTA if you are rooted. I believe the only route is to SBF, then accept the update.

BTW, P3Droid is supposed to have already rooted this version and will have a new version out soon.

Scott
    08-16-2011 11:40 AM
    I'm rooted and got OTA. Haven't check root status yet.

Edit: Lost root with update.
    Oj467 likes this.
    08-16-2011 11:42 AM
    I'm rooted and got OTA. Haven't check root status yet.

Edit: Lost root with update.
    But the update worked w/o causing any bootloops etc - right?
    08-16-2011 11:59 AM
    I WAS rooted. Accepted the OTA. Install went fine. Lost root. Don't notice any changes or improvements. The threads say there is a new radio. Have not noticed any improvement with call quality.
    Oj467 likes this.
    08-16-2011 03:31 PM
    The update works fine if rooted. You do lose root though.
    08-16-2011 04:49 PM
    Does anyone know if it matters what version of gingerbread your using? I am still using the leaked rooted version.
    08-16-2011 04:53 PM
    So here's something interesting. I was rooted and updated fine. Not surprisingly, I tried to use bootstrapper to get into clockwork recovery and no joy.
    However, a few hours later when I restarted the phone I booted into recovery.
    So sort of rooted?
    08-16-2011 06:07 PM
    So here's something interesting. I was rooted and updated fine. Not surprisingly, I tried to use bootstrapper to get into clockwork recovery and no joy.
    However, a few hours later when I restarted the phone I booted into recovery.
    So sort of rooted?
    Was your phone plugged in to the charger or your pc or had it been prior to the restart?
    08-16-2011 06:34 PM
    Was your phone plugged in to the charger or your pc or had it been prior to the restart?
    Hasn't been plugged in since I updated.
    08-16-2011 06:39 PM
    Hasn't been plugged in since I updated.
    Weird....
    08-16-2011 06:40 PM
    Think I'm gonna hold off and stay rooted with a working Wireless Tether.

Not sure my hacked wireless tether will continue working even with a rooted .602 and until I find some confirmation of that I'll just keep pressing "install later" and see what comes of the p3droid .602. I know it's petty but being able to surf on my iPad (even if it's just for an hour in the evening) when we go to camp for the weekend is just important enough to sit tight.
    08-16-2011 08:47 PM
    Wireless Tether still works for you? Lucky. Mine takes the PC and my dx to a "you should really pay for tethering" paywall. So very annoying.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    08-22-2011 09:32 AM
    no prob installing the ota from 596 rooted tbh, but lost root.

some here claim success, but i can't get back into clockwork recovery using the mentioned method(s)...

.602 rooted without SBF'g or wiping!
    08-22-2011 04:37 PM

some here claim success, but i can't get back into clockwork recovery using the mentioned method(s)...

If you pull the battery when the phone is on it should boot into clockwork recovery.
    08-22-2011 06:28 PM
    Can you still SBF after taking the latest OTA?
    08-22-2011 08:23 PM
    the battery pull doesn't work on my phone. tried it with and without charger, usb connex to computer. also tried pulling bat during boot. no dice. droid 2 bootstrapper has lost root so it doesn't seem to help. :-/
    08-22-2011 10:31 PM

I did it this way and retained root. Make sure you dl the new su file. Then accept the update, after phone reboots and says updated success, do the battery pull with phone still on. This takes you into bootstrapper cwr. Then install su file. Reboot and your good. Well it worked for me, hopefully for you too. Read the link a few times make sure you get it right
    08-23-2011 02:14 AM
    "... do the battery pull with phone still on. This takes you into bootstrapper cwr."

nope, that's the problem, it doesn't. i've tried numerous times, with and without charger plugged in. no go. i've got a lot of experience following detailed directions.
    08-23-2011 08:08 AM
    "... do the battery pull with phone still on. This takes you into bootstrapper cwr."

nope, that's the problem, it doesn't. i've tried numerous times, with and without charger plugged in. no go. i've got a lot of experience following detailed directions.
    Do you see the "hijack" and "logwrapper.bin" files in /system/bin?

If not, I think you need to obtain these files and copy them to system/bin. Then the battery pull should boot into clockwork recovery. I think that you need to bootstrap before following this procedure.
    08-23-2011 08:10 PM
    yes, those files appear to be there already. not sure if i'd be able to write them there otherwise if i've lost root, but i guess they don't seem to help...
    08-23-2011 10:15 PM
    You are probably at this point going to have to sbf to 234 and reroot with z4, redownload cwr d2bootstrapper and then pull the update, or do the two file update.
    08-23-2011 11:44 PM
    yep, i figured that already. at the moment i'm just waiting to discover when i feel like i am needing root again, or when someone comes out with something new, or a different method, whichever of the three comes first. at least the phone is running nicely and everything i use regularly is working well.
    blaidth likes this.
    08-24-2011 10:30 AM
    I just caught a p3droid tweet about a moto root exploit that works for dx... Need to investigate further

08-25-2011 03:12 PM
    A 1click is around to I hear. On my way home to try!!

I just caught a p3droid tweet about a moto root exploit that works for dx... Need to investigate further

It
    08-25-2011 06:22 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD