Droid X rooted

c4v3man

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
if my finger touches a link on my phone or my finger clicks a mouse on my laptop. it's still the SAME BANDWIDTH that I'm already paying for.

Verizon knows that you will click on fewer links on your phone than you will on a laptop. Surfing on a computer is faster than on a phone, even as awesome as the DX is. As such, you'll consume more data. Now if they go to a tiered system, where you are paying $25 for 2GB of cellular data or something similar, then I'd say you can ethically use those 2GB any way you want. But if you have "unlimited phone data", which is naturally limited by the device that is using the service, then bypassing the restriction and tethering is unethical.

I've tethered in the past on other carriers, but you can hardly argue that it's ethical to do so.

One other thing, I used to tether with my blackberry storm using the VZAccess software. They used to prorate the service when I needed it, so it was extremely cheap to use it. Not sure if they'll prorate the wifi tethering $20 fee, but it might be worth looking into.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
For all those that have rooted DONT REMOVE FACTORY BACKUPASSISTANTCLIENT. Factory reset without that may result in a near bricking of your device. And this came from birdman Reinstall it if you removed it

xelhabb

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Ones breaking the Rules the other is breaking the law.

One gets your contract terminated and they can charge you the ETF. The other Can get you in the hooskow.

One gets a letter of cancellation sent to your house. One gets the FBI sent to your house.

One gets a rep to look up your account usage and flag it for follow up. The other gets the MPAA or RIAA to send a lawyer to get a sapena so that they can get your information from your ISP.

I can go on.

What is a "sapena"?!? Are you referring to a "subpoena"? LOL!!

I am just fooling about. I've checked too many papers apparently.... ;)

n8mack33

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
My only question is - will this in any way impair my ability to get the official OTA 2.2 update when it starts to migrate out?

Topweasel

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
What is a "sapena"?!? Are you referring to a "subpoena"? LOL!!

I am just fooling about. I've checked too many papers apparently.... ;)

If Firefox would just add subpoena to the list of words that sapena could have been then we wouldn't be having this conversation, lol. I tried every variation I could think of (3) and none of them gave me the spelling I was looking for so I gave up (lazy).

Leif

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Concerning the argument about tethering, I was looking at the prohibited actions of the TOS

Data Plans and Features: Prohibited Uses
You may not use our Data Plans and Features for illegal purposes or purposes that infringe upon others? intellectual property rights, or in a manner that interferes with other users? service, interferes with the network?s ability to fairly allocate capacity among users or that otherwise degrades service quality for other users. Examples of prohibited usage include: (i) server devices or host computer applications, including continuous Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file-sharing applications that are broadcast to multiple servers or recipients such that they could enable ?bots? or similar routines (as set forth in more detail in (iii) below) or otherwise denigrate network capacity or functionality; (ii) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections; (iii) ?auto-responders,? ?cancel-bots,? or similar automated or manual routines that generate amounts of net traffic that could disrupt net user groups or email use by others; (iv) generating ?spam? or unsolicited commercial or bulk email (or activities that facilitate the dissemination of such email); (v) any activity that adversely affects the ability of other users or systems to use either Verizon Wireless? services or the Internet-based resources of others, including the generation or dissemination of viruses, malware or ?denial of service? attacks; (vi) accessing, or attempting to access without authority, the information, accounts or devices of others, or to penetrate, or attempt to penetrate, Verizon Wireless? or another entity?s network or systems; or (vii) running software or other devices that maintain continuous active Internet connections when a computer?s connection would otherwise be idle, or ?keep alive? functions, unless they adhere to Verizon Wireless? requirements for such usage, which may be changed from time to time. By way of example only, you may not use a Data Plan or Feature for Web broadcasting, or for the operation of servers, telemetry devices and/or Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition devices.

So what? It looks to me like it's saying the prohibited actions are:

0. Illegal actions (because apparently being illegal isn't enough)
1. Servers/p2p software/streaming
2. As a backup?
3. Automated responces (which is odd, seeing as that's part of android)
4. Spamming people
5. Hog the data/hurt other users
6. Don't hack into other's devices (without permission anyway)
7. Don't connect with other devices that maintains a constant connections

The closest I can see to tethering is #7, but as long as your not constantly pinging, it looks like (to me anyway), tethering isn't against the tos.

Mark_Venture

Oct 30, 2009
mark.cdmaforums.com
Concerning the argument about tethering, I was looking at the prohibited actions of the TOS

So what? It looks to me like it's saying the prohibited actions are:

0. Illegal actions (because apparently being illegal isn't enough)
1. Servers/p2p software/streaming
2. As a backup?
3. Automated responces (which is odd, seeing as that's part of android)
4. Spamming people
5. Hog the data/hurt other users
6. Don't hack into other's devices (without permission anyway)
7. Don't connect with other devices that maintains a constant connections

The closest I can see to tethering is #7, but as long as your not constantly pinging, it looks like (to me anyway), tethering isn't against the tos.
The T&C you copied/pasted appear to be from "Data Plans and Features" but you really want to look at Email/Web for Smartphone which is the data feature for your Android phone....

Try placing an order for a new X, select the talk plan, then on the options, pick the $29.99 Unlimited Email & Web for Smartphones (personal email) plan... Its pop-up -> Feature Detail clearly states
These features cannot be used to tether your device to laptops, personal computers or other devices for any purpose other than syncing of data; any other use is not permitted using these features.
Additional terms at -> Terms & Conditions

under Unlimited Smartphone and BlackBerry Plans and Features it states...
These Wireless Email plans and features cannot be used: (1) for access to the Internet, intranets or other data networks except as the device’s native applications and capabilities permit, unless you subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect; or (2) for any applications that tether your device to laptops or personal computers other than for use of the Wireless Sync or the BlackBerry solution, unless you subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect.
Looks pretty clear to me that for Verizon its against TOS/T&C's to tether with the Unlimited Smartphone/Blackberry plans unless you subscribe to the Mobile Broadband Connect feature.

To others.. Your wireless carrier "owns the airwaves", they pay to license the frequencies their signals travel over from the FCC, they pay to put up the towers that propagate their signal, they pay to provide the back haul to those towers, they pay to maintain those towers as well as the network in infrastructure which feeds those towers, and on...

So they can determine how to sell it to you. They can determine that Unlimited data used by the features/functions built into your handset does not equal unlimited data to use any way the customer wants.

Btw, Those frequencies can only carry so much data. No different than how a certain size plastic pipe can only move so much water per hour. They know that a typical wireless hand set or smart phone's native features are not capable of consuming nearly as much data as a PC. They sell it as "unlimited" because it sounds better, and most people wont use over about 5gig in a month from their wireless hand set. (Imagine if Comcast's limit was 50gig instead of 250gig for their Xfinity home broadband).

But aren't there enough Tethering vs TOS/T&C threads??

Last edited:

gafly

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I know that we lose OTA updates if we Root. My question is, how do you upgrade the OS with a root? Unroot and then reroot? ...Or is there a way to download the files to a computer and then install via USB?

Leif

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Who says you loose ota updates when you root? Basically, the only thing you do when rooting (in this case anyway), is install su (and busybox, and another super user terminal, but you uninstall that before you're done).

gafly

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Who says you loose ota updates when you root? Basically, the only thing you do when rooting (in this case anyway), is install su (and busybox, and another super user terminal, but you uninstall that before you're done).

I was going off of this list:

What Do I Lose Having Root?
The ability to accept OTA updates (well, you can but you would lose root, so its been made so they get denied)
The sense that someone else controls your phone
The need to sit in an Android chat channel asking how to get root
The need for a stupid useless "File Manager" that lets you see filenames but almost nothing else.
The ability to have a knowledgeable conversation with a T-Mobile rep about your phone. (Ask one of them to spell root for you)

...is it wrong?

dookie.

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I was going off of this list:

What Do I Lose Having Root?
The ability to accept OTA updates (well, you can but you would lose root, so its been made so they get denied)...

...is it wrong?

i believe that it is. OTAs come across. whether or not they undo the root remains to be seen. froyo likely will. incrementals likely not.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois