Droid X rooted

mr.saving

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
I was under the impression that getting root probably wasn't gonna be a big deal...it's them custom roms the new kids are using that will be a major pita.

Adontain

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
well, the root allows deletion of the preinstalled stuff - Blockbuster etc and allows the wifi hotspot to be used w/o paying $20/mo

mflynn

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
While that's good news so I can start using setcpu/titanium backup and remove some of those stock apps I have no need for.

I'm going to hold off and see how this plays out. One unforeseen consequence for unlocking my Nexus' bootloader and installing amon ra's recovery tools, was that I lost OTA updates from google.

While I'm not expecting any consequences has bad as that, I don't want to be on the bleeding edge. I'll wait to see what may or may not shake out of this.

derpudel

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I agree, while the news on root is fabulous, I'm waiting to see how this plays out. (I jumped the gun on the first leak for the Eris...and paid the price for not being able to root later).
As I understand it, having this root will only enable you to get rid of unwanted pre-installed apps. NOT use custom ROMS. Still work to be done, in my opinion, before anyone really jumps to use this rooting just now.

mflynn

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
As I understand it, having this root will only enable you to get rid of unwanted pre-installed apps. NOT use custom ROMS. Still work to be done, in my opinion, before anyone really jumps to use this rooting just now.

Correct, rooting (on most android phones) then gives you the ability to overlay the bootloader recovery program which then can be used to load custom roms.

rooting also allows certain apps to run, like setcpu and titanium.

As I stated, I'm taking a wait and see on this, I don't want to void my warranty, cause problems down the road.

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I agree, while the news on root is fabulous, I'm waiting to see how this plays out. (I jumped the gun on the first leak for the Eris...and paid the price for not being able to root later).

Root allows for a little more than just removing factory apps.

I will be heading to my VZW store tonight. Two of the sales reps are phone nerds too and they root and overclock and all that good stuff. They have the luxury of getting their phones replaced. One of them that got the X volunteered to be guinea pig when root was available, so I'm going to see him tonight.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
going to wait until there is a "back to stock" method in place as well, because you never know

Agreed. This is my first Android phone, and even though the techy in me wants to root, I don't want to risk this baby just yet :( feels a little too early almost.

Anyone know, when they say rooting voids your warranty, are they talking about the 1 year manufacturer warranty? Or the tacion insurance you pay monthly?

derpudel

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Root allows for a little more than just removing factory apps.

I will be heading to my VZW store tonight. Two of the sales reps are phone nerds too and they root and overclock and all that good stuff. They have the luxury of getting their phones replaced. One of them that got the X volunteered to be guinea pig when root was available, so I'm going to see him tonight.

You are correct. But not enough more for me to jump on it:)

Keep us posted as to what your rep says tonight. If they come up with a recovery back to the original stock, then it is a whole 'nuther ball game!

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Ah good call. Well heck, if Leo was right about that August 15th froyo update, I may not even root as I'd much rather just wait for 2.2 and be content with the phone as it is. Pretty sure there won't be anything really needed beyond that :)

derpudel

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Ah good call. Well heck, if Leo was right about that August 15th froyo update, I may not even root as I'd much rather just wait for 2.2 and be content with the phone as it is. Pretty sure there won't be anything really needed beyond that :)

Agreed. It isn't really all that hard to wait for Froyo! I'm happy with the device the way it is, now....it might be a bit of a temptation to fiddle with it, but I'm resisting! lol

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. It isn't really all that hard to wait for Froyo! I'm happy with the device the way it is, now....it might be a bit of a temptation to fiddle with it, but I'm resisting! lol

Same haha. It'll be even harder to resist the urge once an un-root has been confirmed. But I guess I can wait a few weekssss, maaaaybee lol

judasmachine

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
Overclocking this beast should be awesome! A little wifi tethering on the side will be nice too. Custom ROMs are great but I can live without them. It usually takes me several months to get up the courage, or frustration to root in the first place. We'll see what happens.

kajii

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I know this is dumb question, but here goes...

Rooting will void my Verizon warranty, right? I'm just going to wait for 2.2 either way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC