Droid X rooted

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm a little confused why piracy is banned (not that I am for piracy, just using it as an example), but using methods to circumvent a paid service is perfectly ok?

I don't want to sound bitter about it, and I have no qualms with those who do it, just saying I kind of don't see the difference.

mr.saving

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm a little confused why piracy is banned (not that I am for piracy, just using it as an example), but using methods to circumvent a paid service is perfectly ok?

I don't want to sound bitter about it, and I have no qualms with those who do it, just saying I kind of don't see the difference.

What paid service is that?

derpudel

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
xda forum post states that Birdman reports the X and Milestone have the same security features. Unlocking the bootloader is still not possible.
Still going to wait for OTA 2.2 (sitting on fingers! lol)

alpha752

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Im new to rooting, but I can follow directions pretty well so Im not real concerned about it. I REALLY want to get all this vzw crap off my phone, so im excited about this. If someone could post up how to remove the bloatware once rooted I would appreciate it.

Also, im not concerned about my warrenty, but I dont want something to go accidentially wrong after I root and remove the crap. It sounds like there isnt a way to unroot yet, so what are the dangers of rooting, deleting the bloat, and then using the phone as normal after that. Any chance of screwing something up?

Thanks.

Topweasel

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Tethering

Don't know the sites policy, but I guess one of them is a handy man type thing, like finding the weird screw driver to get a part off in your car so you can do the service yourself. The other is making a duplicate of copyrighted IP and is illegal.

One breaks warranty and terms of service the other can get people and the site 1-5 and 200k fine.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
You mean paying to unlock a feature of the phone. It's like paying to use the restroom at older service stations with the door on the outside of the building.

And it's not like it's wrong. Heck you can do it now through BT, it's just one device at a time.

Well, to be fair we're talking Wifi tethering, because we already have un-rooted single device tethering via apps ;)

The biggest issue I see here is, you are breaching your contract by rooting and using hacked wifi tethering without paying. By all legal means, it doesn't matter what you or anyone else thinks what their phone should be able to do, you signed a contract saying you WON'T do that, and that if you want to use their bandwidth as a wifi hotspot, you need to pay.

The reason they let USB/Bluetooth tethering go is because its 1 device, not exactly much worse than just using the phone by itself. But when you have up to 5 devices connected, you will be constantly putting a hefty drain on network bandwidth. You get thousands and thousands of users doing this and it takes its toll.

Bottom line is, its breaking the rules no differently than pirating someones purchasable software. Just saying

Topweasel

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Ones breaking the Rules the other is breaking the law.

One gets your contract terminated and they can charge you the ETF. The other Can get you in the hooskow.

One gets a letter of cancellation sent to your house. One gets the FBI sent to your house.

One gets a rep to look up your account usage and flag it for follow up. The other gets the MPAA or RIAA to send a lawyer to get a sapena so that they can get your information from your ISP.

I can go on.

Saiyaman156

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Using the advice here, I am going to wait until I can unroot the device so that if I need to use the Assurion warranty, I can send it back and not worry about them getting mad. Can they tell it is rooted easily? In fact, can't they tell that I have all the applications removed?

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Ones breaking the Rules the other is breaking the law.

One gets your contract terminated and they can charge you the ETF. The other Can get you in the hooskow.

One gets a letter of cancellation sent to your house. One gets the FBI sent to your house.

One gets a rep to look up your account usage and flag it for follow up. The other gets the MPAA or RIAA to send a lawyer to get a sapena so that they can get your information from your ISP.

I can go on.

I get it I get it lol

I guess I'm looking at it from a bit more... hmm, right vs wrong thing? To me either scenario would be undesirable, and I'm just saying I'm surprised supplying information that can and will cost a company profit goes without legal ramifications. Obviously right now piracy is viewed as a HUGE ordeal for whatever odd reason, but really when you think about this from a step back, you're pirating bandwidth that by contract you're supposed to pay. Again, the legality of the two are very different, yes no doubt in that, but both are technically stealing by all accounts.

Topweasel

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I get it I get it lol

I guess I'm looking at it from a bit more... hmm, right vs wrong thing? To me either scenario would be undesirable, and I'm just saying I'm surprised supplying information that can and will cost a company profit goes without legal ramifications. Obviously right now piracy is viewed as a HUGE ordeal for whatever odd reason, but really when you think about this from a step back, you're pirating bandwidth that by contract you're supposed to pay. Again, the legality of the two are very different, yes no doubt in that, but both are technically stealing by all accounts.

But you are already paying for the bandwidth. They just want you to pay for the right to plug your phone into your computer whether by USB or Wifi. I would say there is more wrong then right in that.

Some anti Best Buy websites post pricing on products best buy is selling right now at a loss just so people can band together and cost Best Buy money. Should that be considered wrong?

Is it wrong to turn of the 30k check engine light that car manufacturers use to get people to come in and pay $300 for an extensive checkup?

Is it wrong to overclock your CPU in your computer to a speed that the manufacturer sells at a higher price? This one being more along the lines of the Root/wifi one.

skimore2020

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I'm new to Android and Rooting. If I follow the steps originally posted by birdman, the phone will be rooted, correct?

And how do you go about setting the phone up for the free mobile hotpost after the phone has been rooted?

Thanks in advance.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
But you are already paying for the bandwidth. They just want you to pay for the right to plug your phone into your computer whether by USB or Wifi. I would say there is more wrong then right in that.

Some anti Best Buy websites post pricing on products best buy is selling right now at a loss just so people can band together and cost Best Buy money. Should that be considered wrong?

Is it wrong to turn of the 30k check engine light that car manufacturers use to get people to come in and pay $300 for an extensive checkup?

Is it wrong to overclock your CPU in your computer to a speed that the manufacturer sells at a higher price? This one being more along the lines of the Root/wifi one.

Here's the problem with all of those examples (save for the best buy one), you buy your car. You pay your finance for it, you can go ahead and disable that check engine light at the 30,000 because yeah thats not right for them to do. But its your car. If you do skip out on that and fix it, it doesn't cost them anything. If you buy your cheap cpu and decide to overclock it, it doesn't cost the manufacturer anything.

When you take a device that is being provided service, service that is not free to run, then it becomes something else. I agree, we pay for our "unlimited bandwidth" and hell yeah we should be able to tether whether it be USB or wifi is irrelevant. But the fact of the matter is you are paying for a service that you have no say in how it goes. The only say you have is yes or no. When you start breaching your contract you are riding a line of when/will I get caught.

dvader

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I get it I get it lol
but really when you think about this from a step back, you're pirating bandwidth that by contract you're supposed to pay. Again, the legality of the two are very different, yes no doubt in that, but both are technically stealing by all accounts.

pirating bandwidth means you are STEALING it.. you are NOT stealing it by tethering. you are already paying for it..

again - just to be crystal clear.. you are already paying for unlimited bandwidth..

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
If you want to unroot it's as simple as deleting the super users apk your not dealing with custom bootloaders etc. So if you take your phone in without the su app or any root apps they wont know the difference. Might be a good idea to push the bloatware apps back prior to taking it in so your phone looks completely stock on second thought just do a factory reset should unroot you

Last edited:

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I'm new to Android and Rooting. If I follow the steps originally posted by birdman, the phone will be rooted, correct?

And how do you go about setting the phone up for the free mobile hotpost after the phone has been rooted?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, I would like to know this, too. Because there are some people in this thread saying it is possible...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance