08-09-2010 06:35 PM
26 12
tools
    Just a word of warning...it looks like a bunch of people in #droidxroot have bricked (or nearly bricked) phones, by removing the default apps that come with the phone. So although there is no problem with actually gaining root access, for the time being, I would mess with it much. Just enjoy the glory that is busybox...

(Note that this is entirely based off of what I'm reading in the loggs, as I've left the default apps on there, and currently don't have any plans on using root).
    07-22-2010 11:19 PM
    This is straight from Stephen Bird @mrweeeedbirdman...

Q: What bloat can I remove?
    A: the following has been tested and approved:

* Blockbuster.apk
    * Amazon
    * HelpCenter.apk
    * CityID.apk
    * Kindle (r something .apk)
    * Vvm.apk
    * Mynet.apk

DO NOT REMOVE BackupAssistantClient.apk because it will result in partial brick upon factory reset (you can recover tho by pressing search, searching for settings, enabling adb and pushing it back)
    impostor71 likes this.
    07-22-2010 11:23 PM
    Just a word of warning...it looks like a bunch of people in #droidxroot have bricked (or nearly bricked) phones, by removing the default apps that come with the phone. So although there is no problem with actually gaining root access, for the time being, I would mess with it much. Just enjoy the glory that is busybox...

(Note that this is entirely based off of what I'm reading in the loggs, as I've left the default apps on there, and currently don't have any plans on using root).
    If you are going to post something like this please go into details. Your post was very broad and could have confused a lot of people. I am happy someone else stepped in and did the right thing tho. Don't take this the wrong way I am in no way picking on you. I am just saying next time if you post something that involves turning your phone into a paperweight please let us know what exactly it is you are talking about.
    07-23-2010 03:01 PM
    If you are going to post something like this please go into details. Your post was very broad and could have confused a lot of people. I am happy someone else stepped in and did the right thing tho. Don't take this the wrong way I am in no way picking on you. I am just saying next time if you post something that involves turning your phone into a paperweight please let us know what exactly it is you are talking about.
    I agree. And to be honest, I haven't heard at all of people bricking their Xs, or almost bricking them by removing bloatware or rooting. Besides the BackupAssistantClient.apk, but even then, if you can put it back on there before you do a factory reset, you should be fine.

And also, with that being said, the place that I got my rooting instructions from also had the disclaimer:

As is always the case with this sort of activity, you do this completely at your own risk. AllDroid, Rainabba and Birdman take NO responsibility for the outcome.
    07-23-2010 04:51 PM
    I don't remove them I rename ..apk.bak
    07-23-2010 04:59 PM
    For anyone that made the mistake and deleted the BackupAssistant, here's the .apk.
    07-23-2010 05:02 PM
    Anyone have CityID.apk? I would like to reinstall it then freeze it with Titanium Backup. Thanks.
    07-23-2010 09:01 PM
    Got this from another website. Haven't DL'd it though.

EDIT: Haven't INSTALLED it yet, since obviously I've DL'd it.
    07-23-2010 09:19 PM
    Thank you very much for the file. I found instructions how to properly move it over and everything looks OK.
    07-23-2010 11:54 PM
    Thank you very much for the file. I found instructions how to properly move it over and everything looks OK.
    No problem, I put everything back on that I took off (all from the safe list) just because I heard that if some of these are gone (even some off of the safe list) the X won't be able to get updates. This happened with somebody that rooted before the latest update and they had to put some of the bloatware back on in order to get the update.
    07-24-2010 12:30 AM
    can you post that info for everyone?
    07-24-2010 12:39 AM
    Look on the previous page. I already posted it. It's also in this thread http://forum.androidcentral.com/moto...oad-links.html
    07-24-2010 12:46 AM
    This happened with somebody that rooted before the latest update and they had to put some of the bloatware back on in order to get the update.
    That would be me, I still haven't been able to update. the phone reboots after hitting install then the little update graphic comes up with the progress bar, but the progress bar get's stuck half way... then the phone reboots again.
    07-25-2010 12:41 PM
    That would be me, I still haven't been able to update. the phone reboots after hitting install then the little update graphic comes up with the progress bar, but the progress bar get's stuck half way... then the phone reboots again.
    The person that I heard it from was able to get the update. What items did you actually remove?
    07-25-2010 01:52 PM
    I don't remove them I rename ..apk.bak
    This is exactly what I do as well. Just rename them. Test for a few hours, or days. And if all is well, I rm the *.bak file to regain the space.
    07-25-2010 03:30 PM
    The person that I heard it from was able to get the update. What items did you actually remove?
    I believe i removed
    CityID
    Blockbuster
    Mynet
    MyVerizon
    MotoGAL
    and i changed SocialShare to .bak because i wasn't sure if it was a file i should be getting rid of.

Since then I've replaced the missing .apks with the ones from the stock .apk download page.

I also tried to do a factory reset. But none of this has allowed me to update.
    07-25-2010 05:47 PM
    After rooting the phone will I still be able to get the OTA 2.2 update?
    07-26-2010 12:29 PM
    I would highly doubt that rooting the phone has any effect on updating to 2.2... worse case scenario would be that the 2.2 ota update fails and you have to unroot you device by doing
    Code:
    $su
    #mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/*your block here* /system
    This remounts your file system with read and write permissions. From there you just have to remove su, busybox and the Superuser.apk by doing
    Code:
    rm system/app/Superuser.apk
    rm system/bin/su
    rm system/bin/busybox
    And if you don't know how to find out where your system mount just do
    Code:
    cat proc/mounts
    You should see something like dev/block/ccmblk1p21 /system
    GlueFactoryBJJ likes this.
    07-26-2010 09:46 PM
    We shouldn't even have to go through all this to remove crapware. The stuff should be as simple to remove as anything else.
    07-28-2010 08:51 PM
    Simple to remove!!! It shouldn't even be on there in the first place...
    07-28-2010 09:08 PM
    There is actually another site i found with a list of all the stuff you can and cannot remove on the Droid X. Hope this helps! It also has a link to all the files

Full list of apps and apks that are removable and non-removable with root - Android Forums
    08-08-2010 07:01 PM
    This is true but if you want to be able to update to Froyo when it's released, you will have to reinstall these and give them system application permissions.
    08-08-2010 07:23 PM
    As long as you haven't removed/renamed any files (just using the root for Autostarts control and SetCPU), do you have to un-root to get a major OS update like 2.2?
    08-09-2010 04:32 PM
    As long as you haven't removed/renamed any files (just using the root for Autostarts control and SetCPU), do you have to un-root to get a major OS update like 2.2?
    It sounds like the update will just come through, no problem. But of course, you will lose root, but that's to be expected. Now, obviously we can't say for sure since it hasn't happened with our device yet, but as past experiences show, as well as the .604 update show, everything should be just fine.
    08-09-2010 04:37 PM
    Do you typically loose root even on an update like for .604, or just for the big ones (like 2.2)?

Also, do you (typically...since it hasn't happened yet), still have your rooting app (EasyRoot for me) still on your phone, so you just click the root me button again?

Finally, do you have to go back and re-set all your Autostarts and SetCPU junk, or should those settings hold through an upgrade?

Thanks for your help.
    08-09-2010 05:16 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD