deleted stock. apk's and now I can't update!

TeachDis2

May 27, 2010
Visit site
FINALLY,

it had nothing to to with the file being in two places or the checksums being off. For some reason the .apk files on the website have their file permission set differently than what they should be on the phone. So when the Update tried to modify those files, it didn't have the correct permissions! all this time spent and all I had to do was type "ls -l" in the system/app folder and I would have been staring me right in the face!

oh well. at least it's updated, and now I know my way around the android OS file system.

;)

thanx to all those who helped.

TeachDis2

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I do think it's pretty lame that Verizon and moto get to decide what crappy app (cough cough Blockbuster) stays on our phone. Think of how angry you would be if MS or apple did that with their desktop OS...but then again, that's what subsidy is all about. :)

dvader

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking I'll just run with what i got for a few weeks till we get Froyo and then I'll root and remove all that crap.

jsmuli2

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
help

FINALLY,

it had nothing to to with the file being in two places or the checksums being off. For some reason the .apk files on the website have their file permission set differently than what they should be on the phone. So when the Update tried to modify those files, it didn't have the correct permissions! all this time spent and all I had to do was type "ls -l" in the system/app folder and I would have been staring me right in the face!

oh well. at least it's updated, and now I know my way around the android OS file system.

;)

thanx to all those who helped.

hey can you hook me up with instructions as to what exactly you mean by typing "ls -l" in the system/app folder?

I'm not too savvy with the terminal emulator which is why I need some help.

thanks in advance!

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand why people are concerned about bloat considering how much storage this phone has.

For me, personally, it's because the bloatware runs in the background and it's things that I don't use. Like the social media widgets and skype and things like that. They keep processes up and running in the background and I have no use for them at all.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
For me, personally, it's because the bloatware runs in the background and it's things that I don't use. Like the social media widgets and skype and things like that. They keep processes up and running in the background and I have no use for them at all.

This, all the way. It's just an annoying fact that it's running in the background when we don't even use it. Sure Android is great at managing memory and tasks running behind the scenes, but those apps shouldn't even be there. If the option was available, we'd all uninstall them just like we did NFS:Shift.

It's just wrong that we don't have the right to remove without consequence. Not a matter of storage space at all. That shouldn't even matter. Storage space or not, we don't want them on our phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781