Thinking of rooting the DX but what apps make it worth it?
    07-27-2010 01:13 PM
    Barnacle WiFi hot spot. I went through 75MB in under 15 minutes with it.

EDIT: With my laptop and iPod Touch, that is.
    07-27-2010 01:47 PM
    Just type 'root' in the market and see all the apps see if you find any worth while
    07-27-2010 02:27 PM
    07-27-2010 07:39 PM
    Agree with adfree. I don't need a mobile hotspot...but adfree makes life so much easier.

/me hates looking at ads, and is shocked to remember that yes, the internet does have ads (as I never see them).
    07-27-2010 09:24 PM
    Root Explorer (root explorer)
    CacheMate (cache cleaner)
    Drocap2 or ShootMe (screenshot apps)
    Wireless Tether (uh, wireless tethering)
    AdFree (gets rid of ads)

There are more that I like to use but I use them more for custom ROMs and backing up and stuff like that so I don't have any use for them as of now.
    07-27-2010 10:18 PM
    ^^This. At first I wasn't going to bother with rooting, until I found out about this app.
    07-27-2010 11:11 PM
    copy and paste i like oh and wifi teathering
    07-30-2010 12:13 AM
    About the only ones that I've found so far is something like DroidWall and Copy Paste It.

Free tethering violates Verizon's ToS, I don't feel the need to do so.
    Adblock may affect the revenue from app devs and drive them away from Android apps, I don't want that to happen.
    Deleting the bloatware is nice, but they really take up next to no space at all in the grand scheme of things.

Maybe after Froyo I'll reconsider.
    07-30-2010 07:03 AM
    About the only ones that I've found so far is something like DroidWall and Copy Paste It.

Free tethering violates Verizon's ToS, I don't feel the need to do so.
    Adblock may affect the revenue from app devs and drive them away from Android apps, I don't want that to happen.
    Deleting the bloatware is nice, but they really take up next ito no space at all in the grand scheme of things.

Maybe after Froyo I'll reconsider.
    Just an fyi the adblocker (at least the one I tried) does not affect apps. It just blocks browser based ads.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    07-30-2010 07:22 AM
    Just an fyi the adblocker (at least the one I tried) does not affect apps. It just blocks browser based ads.
    That's a bit better, but still those ads pay for web content. Given a choice between looking at the abcNEWS app for iPad ad up top (which, needless to say, holds zero interest to me) and paying $10 a year for Android Central access I'd rather see the ad.
    07-30-2010 07:25 AM

Ummm...yes it does, or at least the one I'm using (adfree) does...I don't gain any screenspace though, I just see the loading wheel for eternity (or I leave the place the ad would have been)
    07-30-2010 09:10 AM
    Ummm...yes it does, or at least the one I'm using (adfree) does...I don't gain any screenspace though, I just see the loading wheel for eternity (or I leave the place the ad would have been)
    Hmm...it didn't block the ads in apps for me. It even mentions in the marketplace description that it doesn't affect app ads. Unfortunately I can't test this again because I've temporarily unrooted my device in anticipation of Froyo.

07-30-2010 09:31 AM
    Hmm...it didn't block the ads in apps for me. It even mentions in the marketplace description that it doesn't affect app ads. Unfortunately I can't test this again because I've temporarily unrooted my device in anticipation of Froyo.

It also cleared all the ads for me too. I read somewhere that clearing the cache after install will get rid of the ads that still show up after the adfree install.
    07-30-2010 11:38 AM
    OP, I would have to say the Root Explorer has been the biggest + or Rooting my X. Not only does it allow you to access ALL the files, it allows you to delete the bloatware that is cluttering the phone by navigating to the system>app folder and deleting the offending .apk files. I like nice and simple menus though. If the phone had the "hide" option, I would be just as happy with the files still existing but hidden and the phone non-rooted.
    07-30-2010 10:27 PM
    Appearantly deleting the bloatware is risky. Renaming it is much safer. Only reason I would root is for the wireless tether.
    08-13-2010 08:32 AM
    Upon reading this thread...I'm taking the plunge and rooting the phone, I can just unroot it when Froyo is available and reroot.
    08-15-2010 04:22 PM
    My droid x gets in this Monday, might go ahead with this rooting!
    08-20-2010 09:24 PM
    Another useful reason is moving custom ringtones, notifications and alerts off of the sdcard and into /system/media/audio/*respective folder* folder.
    I was missing calls while leaving the phone connected to the computer. When the sdcard is unavailable (such as charging your phone on a computer and forgetting to set usb to charge only) custom ringtones and alerts left on the sdcard don't work.
    08-22-2010 06:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD