Root on 2.2 Mac

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Well, lucky you I guess. But to answer your question, you can try to do it (at your own risk) using the 2.1 method since nobody has had the chance to test it out on 2.2 since nobody has it yet.

You have a couple options but again, do this at your own risk.

Here's a video of a guy doing it with a Mac.
YouTube - How to root the Motorola Droid X!

and you can also do it on the device with the terminal emulator
How to root [Without ADB] - Android Forums

if you do decide to do it and you're successful, you should use a screenshot application and show off your rooted 2.2 X. I'd be very interested to see that since all of the 2.2 Droid X screenshots have looked photoshopped.

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Video not processed yet, but there's another upload in progress. YouTube - Droid X running Froyo
Thanks AvlFive for the info. I think i'll wait for you pros to root then i'll follow :)

No problem at all.

It should be the same process (hopefully) and it should go over just as smooth but without anybody testing yet, it's kinda like uncharted waters so I think you're making a good decision to hold off on it.

*waits for video to finish processing*

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
If you don't mind me asking, how did you get this phone? Did you buy it from eBay or something?

Also, it would be cool if you could try to get us some clean screen shots since the video is a little blurry (not complaining :p) or post the details of the about screen.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
The thing I'm most interested in is more info on Flash running. How does it work in the browser? Other than games, how does video do? Have you tried going to a full flash site and tried navigating?

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
How about q&a thread? This is five minutes of fame. I'd like u see if jit is there in settings. Also get the quadrant app from market and bench test it please
With and without jit enabled. What else is new thanks

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
The thing I'm most interested in is more info on Flash running. How does it work in the browser? Other than games, how does video do? Have you tried going to a full flash site and tried navigating?

Assuming Froyo on the X is the same as it was on my hacked Droid, Flash worked well. Most sites with flash worked like you'd expect, some really well, mimicking the desktop, while others where a little clunky. For example, some of the flash adverts came into focus so I had to close them out - wasn't really a big deal most of the time but I can see this being a minor annoyance for some. The good news though, is that most of the browsers had a setting to call up flash on demand. So you'd only click on what you want to see.

Flash videos were either slow and choppy or fast and fluid - it really depended on the site. CNN had choppy videos while MSN's were very smooth - almost desktop like. The flash plugin usually alerted me to videos that weren't mobile friendly though. And even though CNN's were choppy, they were definitely good enough to be viewed regardless.

Battery life did suffer a bit, but not that much and should really be expected. Of course it depends totally on how much flash you're viewing. I know I'm prepared to get a second battery or an extended because I will be using it a lot.

IMO, flash even with all its issues was a great, almost necessary addition to the browsing experience. And I really miss it on the X. So Froyo can't come soon enough. For those who don't think they need it all I have to say is: once you go flash they ain't no going back!

trong

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
As stated before, do you mind posting your scores for Quadrant and Linpack? I'm very curious to see since the Droid 2's Quadrant score was the same as the Droid X even though it is running 2.2.

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
If he does come back in here and starts fulfilling requests and does a more thorough review, just keep in mind that it did seem like an early, unpolished developer version of Froyo so results with his may (and probably will) vary from what is eventually released to the public in a couple weeks (hopefully).

jrskero

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
benchmark

Im interested too. I ran QUADRANT PRO. I noticed the only change from 2.1 to 2.2 on the nexus was the cpu rate. The others 2d/3d ... io....and memory were unchanged. My best guess would benchmark the droid x between 1950-2100.

gchahinian

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
it actually REALLY bothers me that you're saying "two DOT two" instead of "two POINT two". maybe im just crazy...

but in a related note...cant wait for froyos to happen to me :D

tonymontana2367

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I'll be able to benchmark later tonight. Flash runs well in the browser. Vimeo, YouTube, etc work like they would on a desktop browser. A lot less buggy than the videos I saw from Adobe's reviews.you won't be disappointed. I'll definitely post another video and answer some q's when I get home later tonight.