Ok. I rooted my DX with easy root. Now what do I do with this software? Suggestions? I know one might think it foolish to do this without having some sort of plan but I read all of the reviews of people who used it and I need some direction. Thanks again
    08-06-2010 01:42 PM
    Well I can tell you what I've done without any negative side affects.

Apps I install that require root:

Root explorer
    ShootMe
    AdFree

Apps I disabled via Root Explorer, by renaming the APK's from application.apk to application.apk.old:

amazonmp3
    blockbuster
    browser.apk (I use Dolphin)
    DLNA
    DLNASystemService
    FMRadio
    FMRadioService
    HelpCenter
    LiveWallpapers
    LiveWallpapersPicker
    MagicSmokeWallpapers
    MediaGallery (I installed and use the Froyo gallery I posted in the apps section)
    Mynet
    Protips
    QuickOffice (I use Docs to Go)
    redding-7648-signed (Kindle)

Above apps are in /system/app folder and require you to enable R/W for the folder in root explorer.

There's some other threads in this forum that warn you what not to remove, such as the Blur apps. Also, you'll notice that I rename files, I don't remove them. Much safer.
    08-06-2010 01:58 PM
    Im new to this whole process as well, but i installed titanium backup from the market and now i can uninstall bloatware as well as backup all my apps and settings. Read this:
    In light of all the discussions right now about why NOT to use a task killer, from a technical standpoint here's what that submitter got right, what they got wrong, and what you should actually be doing to maximize your phone's potential. : Android
    08-06-2010 02:00 PM
    Ok, didn't realize there was much more than just uninstalling the application. I'm not very savvy at this as you probably can see. I will probably just leave it on. I do not want to mess anything up.
    08-06-2010 02:01 PM
    Ok, didn't realize there was much more than just uninstalling the application. I'm not very savvy at this as you probably can see. I will probably just leave it on. I do not want to mess anything up.
    That is probably a good idea, for now at least.
    08-06-2010 03:12 PM
    I just root cause we can . No really i like to use shootme adfree and cacheclean. Shootme let's you take screen caps of what's one your screen. Adfree removes adds from free apps. Cacheclean is a one touch cache clear to free up more space. The new laucher pro let's you hide apps like blockbuster so its still on the phone but your not forced to look at it. No root for that.

Sent from my Rooted DROIDX using Tapatalk
    08-06-2010 03:22 PM
    No one has said wireless tether, I would root soley for this feature.
    08-06-2010 07:36 PM
    Apps I disabled via Root Explorer, by renaming the APK's from application.apk to application.apk.old
    any point to doing this if you are using LPP and have unwanted apps hidden from your app drawer? seems like pretty much the same thing
    08-06-2010 11:18 PM
    If you are using LPP, and your goal is to not see them in the app drawer, then yes it's the same thing.
    08-07-2010 12:30 AM
    Now if I want to use the tether feature, which app should I download? And what do I have to do to my computer?
    08-07-2010 11:23 AM
    Now that I rooted my phone (casual root, clean up start up, nothing extreme) when I look at it, I feel different inside. Kinda like my phone is an unlocked rebel waiting to go do devious and mischevious things... like tether over the Wifi...
    08-07-2010 02:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD