MOTOROLA PULLED SBF FILE! THINK BEFORE HACKING YOUR PHONE!

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Those evil evil (expletive)'s over at Motorola sent a cease and desist letter to the guys at rootzwiki and made them delete and remove links to the SBF and driver files for the recovery.

This means, if you were using the fact that these files exist and are readily available as a crutch to sway you into rooting/modding, think again. It is not such a care-free thing to do anymore as you have no way to get back to full on stock as before.

I am honestly reconsidering keeping this phone. This has been a very low blow from Motorola and I am not sure I want to keep such a locked down phone anymore. Its one thing to prevent us from hacking it, its another to force us to delete our hard work towards unlocking OUR devices which we paid for. I take this C&D from Motorola as a big F**K YOU to the hacking community...

Nice move Motorola...

Droid X SBF Has To Come Down...

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
They'll still be out there floating around. Some people have saved them. I, for one, have saved the Windows version of the files. So if anyone needs them, let me know.

I'm not going to go as far as returning my phone. I love it. But it is kinda crappy that they did this but they do have the right.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Have the right sure, but its still a pretty cold move of them to make.

Btw avlfive mind PM'ing me about those files? I'd like to get ahold of all of them, as I may need to flash my phone. As you saw in the other thread I re-themed it and may want to flash for a fresh install before Froyo. Thanks much.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Try this and let me know what's in it (via @b16a2smith)

Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

That is a link to it, not so sure what the legality of posting that is, but I can confirm 100% thats it.

I also found out by reading through the rootzwiki site that the reason Motorola forced them to pull the files was because of a copyright on guess what.... the keyboard software in the flash file.

Of all the things to legally force them to shutdown they choose to use keyboard software as the cause? I call bull on that as if it were copyright infringement then there'd be hundreds of other reasons. To me personally it just sounds like a way for them to control the masses. Sad.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I also have a copy of the drivers and the SBF file for windows if anyone needs it.

Works great for me. Used it twice already :p

Dustrum can you please download the file avlfive linked and see if theres even a kilobyte discrepancy? I want to make sure that its clean and no malware was added. Ever since they posted how .apk's can contain a trojan I am a bit skeptical, especially of something with this magnitude.

Not that I am doubting my man avlfive :cool: its the interwebs I am doubting here :p

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Dustrum can you please download the file avlfive linked and see if theres even a kilobyte discrepancy? I want to make sure that its clean and no malware was added. Ever since they posted how .apk's can contain a trojan I am a bit skeptical, especially of something with this magnitude.

Not that I am doubting my man avlfive :cool: its the interwebs I am doubting here :p

It's straight from them but I haven't DL'd it yet so I'm not too sure what's in it (drivers, .sbf, etc.)

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
It's straight from them but I haven't DL'd it yet so I'm not too sure what's in it (drivers, .sbf, etc.)

I downloaded it and it has 3 seperate zips inside. The first zip contains the SBF, second zip is 32-bit drivers and third zip is 64-bit drivers. Note: you need the SBF_flash file that you can still download off the rootzwiki site so grab it now before god knows what else Motorola does... Update: you only need this sbf_flash file if you're running Linux. Windows users don't need it.

As for why I'm concerned? Well I know its from them, but they say right there on the site the file is 232MB. This SBF zip (just the SBF, not including the drivers) is 243MB... thats the only reason I'm concerned. Now if someone who downloaded the files straight from the rootzwiki site before it got pulled down can check the size of the SBF zip I will feel much better.

Last edited:

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

I have it on my phone's SD card. I got it straight off of their site before it got pulled but I can't upload the files right meow. Anyone needs them, holla.

Dubbayoo

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
That is a link to it, not so sure what the legality of posting that is, but I can confirm 100% thats it.

I also found out by reading through the rootzwiki site that the reason Motorola forced them to pull the files was because of a copyright on guess what.... the keyboard software in the flash file.

Of all the things to legally force them to shutdown they choose to use keyboard software as the cause? I call bull on that as if it were copyright infringement then there'd be hundreds of other reasons. To me personally it just sounds like a way for them to control the masses. Sad.
Maybe the copyright isn't theirs and they've agreed to limitations.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Ah hah I knew it. If the one b16a2 posted was the same file why is it 11MB larger :(

Man I really wanted that one to be the exact copy too. Woulda made things so much easier. Well avl whenever you get the chance upload that biznatch. I'd really appreciate it.

dvader

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded it and it has 3 seperate zips inside. The first zip contains the SBF, second zip is 32-bit drivers and third zip is 64-bit drivers. Note: you need the SBF_flash file that you can still download off the rootzwiki site so grab it now before god knows what else Motorola does...

As for why I'm concerned? Well I know its from them, but they say right there on the site the file is 232MB. This SBF zip (just the SBF, not including the drivers) is 243MB... thats the only reason I'm concerned. Now if someone who downloaded the files straight from the rootzwiki site before it got pulled down can check the size of the SBF zip I will feel much better.

size 232MB = (243,486,486 bytes)
size on disk 232mb = (243,486,720 bytes)

your looking at the bytes vs MB
nothing to worry about

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
size 232MB = (243,486,486 bytes)
size on disk 232mb = (243,486,720 bytes)

your looking at the bytes vs MB
nothing to worry about

Yep I pulled the zip file from the whole download and you're right, its 232MB as Rootzwiki claimed :D all is well in the land of SBF's. Thanks for clearing that up

ardoreal

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
HAH HAH HAH!

This has to be one of the easiest files to find. The lawyers are really bad at finding all the places this is hosted. Seriously, minimal effort to find it.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
HAH HAH HAH!

This has to be one of the easiest files to find. The lawyers are really bad at finding all the places this is hosted. Seriously, minimal effort to find it.

Shhhh xD

I still don't think having the easter egg link is a smart idea. It should really be kept viral, on no publicly available access. I really wonder if the Lawyers do look around on forums and twitter and use the info they find there to try and locate this easter egg :confused:

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I think the C&D is for hosting.
not much you can do about linking

Perhaps.

I wonder how this works out legally as far as everyone has a copy of the zipped up file, then they go after multiupload trying to make them take the file down, and people just repeatedly put it up as different names etc. Think those uploading it post-multiupload take down can get in trouble?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catherinediane