Guardian likes this.
    08-13-2010 01:53 PM
    Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    08-13-2010 02:00 PM
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
    08-13-2010 02:14 PM
    Getting closer love clockwork
    08-13-2010 02:35 PM
    I read that custom kernels are still a no-go but at least we're getting close. I have a bad gut feeling that as with the Milestone, the X won't ever get past the bootloader
    08-13-2010 02:36 PM
    Man birdman and koush are amazing.... And everyone said it couldnt be done!
    http://yfrog.com/n2hiuj
    08-13-2010 04:29 PM
    Another step closer. From what I'm hearing, custom ROM's MAY be a go but still no custom kernels yet and bootloader still locked but we're (they're) getting somewhere.

BTW, I merged these and moved them into the hacks section.
    08-13-2010 04:41 PM
    I read that custom kernels are still a no-go but at least we're getting close. I have a bad gut feeling that as with the Milestone, the X won't ever get past the bootloader

Now im not really familiar with what happened with the milestone, but didn't they not even get this far?
    08-13-2010 05:35 PM
    Now im not really familiar with what happened with the milestone, but didn't they not even get this far?
    Pretty sure they got farther actually. Milestone has custom roms, no custom kernels.

We're one step away from custom roms, but I have a feeling kernels will never see the red glowing light of Droid X
    08-13-2010 05:53 PM
    What's the huge deal with custom kernels anyway? I'd imagine most of what I'd want would be taken care of by custom ROMs anyway. We can already overclock at least to some extent, not that I really feel the need to. We can already wi-fi tether. What else do custom kernels give you?
    08-13-2010 07:10 PM
    What's the huge deal with custom kernels anyway? I'd imagine most of what I'd want would be taken care of by custom ROMs anyway. We can already overclock at least to some extent, not that I really feel the need to. We can already wi-fi tether. What else do custom kernels give you?
    The point to custom kernels is so you get the REAL benefits of a newer OS version, which in Froyo's case is the JIT compiler for the 2x-5x speed boost and for Flash, basically major OS changes.

Custom roms without newer kernels is like taking your 2.1 Droid X and reskinning it from the ground up. Thats. About. It.

The other major problem that goes along with not being able to change the kernel is the real reason everyone's on the edge of their seats for this hack; access to modify the kernel means getting true new OS running before the official OTA gets rolled out.

An example of this is the OG Droid. Its been running 2.2 for what, a solid 2 months now? And Verizon/Motorola are just THIS WEEK rolling it out. Thats why you want kernel access.
    08-13-2010 07:35 PM
    I suppose so. My 2.1 X with it's kernel runs at about the same speed as the nexus one with 2.2+, according to Quadrant at least. I'm interested to see Froyo regardless of the JIT compiler, not that that won't (hopefully) make things even more smooth. I guess I don't see that as as big of a deal personally since we can still overclock, etc without it. And we'd still probably get all the other benefits like Flash, etc.

If we had everything but kernels, I'd be perfectly happy. To be honest, I'm happy as is, but I don't really see why everyone hates Blur so much either. So, I guess I'm in the minority.

I'd be very surprised if anybody actually cracks the bootloader, from what I know about encryption, etc, unless somehow some info leaked from Moto that helped disable it.
    08-13-2010 08:23 PM
    UPDATE:

RT @mrweeeedbirdman: recovery will allow: custom system roms....BUT NO CUSTOM KERNELS. the bootloader is still locked
    08-13-2010 09:05 PM
    While we might not crack the bootloader, Birdman and Alldroid have gotten to such a low level that we're going to be able to load custom ROMs and maybe load alternate (read: Custom) kernels in the future.

08-14-2010 10:58 AM
    whenever i reboot my phone it boots into the clockworkmod recovery screen.
    i then have to tell it "reboot system" and then it boots into my OS, how do i make it stop booting into the CWM recovery screen?
    09-28-2010 01:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD