Need to unroot to get Froyo? My son's original Droid didn't.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
He's got an original Droid and just got 2.2 today. About a week ago, he rooted using EasyRoot. The only thing he's done in regards to being rooted was install Barnacle and SetCPU. He didn't remove/rename any bloatware apps. He said he downloaded the Froyo update OTA and it installed fine, without messing with unrooting. I would have expected to have to unroot before Froyo would install. Wonder if it will work that way on the X?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Are you saying that his Droid is no longer rooted? I assume if so, that would mean that something like SetCPU is no longer working.

If he is no longer rooted, would he just launch and click Root Me on EasyRoot again?

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'd have him check but when any official update is pushed, you usually lose root. Assuming the root method is the same, he could just try the EasyRoot method again.

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
So did the root me app work with the froyo update after all? I was thinking of rooting my X and just waiting to see if it held after the official 2.2 update next month. Not planning on removing anything but adding the wifi tehering.

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
So did the root me app work with the froyo update after all? I was thinking of rooting my X and just waiting to see if it held after the official 2.2 update next month. Not planning on removing anything but adding the wifi tehering.

Not at this time. Droid Life asked some peeps on twitter and they got a lot of no responses. I looked them up because I was curious about this as well.

I'm sure once 2.2 is official for the Droid X, they'll get it fixed up, hopefully.