Safest way to go from factory fresh to FlyX? :)

anon(40324)

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to be receiving my DX in the mail tomorrow. Obviously, it will be fresh from the factory, i.e. super stock. I was wondering what the *safest* way would be to go about creating a backup, rooting, and loading FlyX (or allowing myself the capability to install a custom ROM). I just want to ensure that I have the ability to get back to stock if I so choose (though from looking through the forums, I'm thinking that anything developed by Birdman, Koush, and others will be just as good if not BETTER than stock motoblur...).

I can find the links for various guides myself (though links would also be appreciated;)), but what I'm looking for here is a process-by-process guide on what to do IN WHAT ORDER, i.e. root first with this app, , THEN create backup via Titanium Backup, THEN load ROM Manager, THEN get FlyX, etc. Something like that. An ordered step by step guide (maybe with links to other guides, too) of a safe, soundproof way to start hacking.

Step one: Order DX. Receive DX.
Check! (or it will be received tomorrow!:))

Step two: ?? Help is very much appreciated!

derpudel

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
There is an excellent guide to rooting and loading custom Roms for the HTC Eris on another forum:
Universal Eris Root for Dummies! - Android Forums

I wish this same sort of tutorial/guide were available for the X owners, wishing to root and install a ROM like FlyX.

There is a difference tho, between rooting/flashing a device that has a cracked bootloader and one that does not. But, still, that person's work with all the images showing you step-by-step, is great for many.

El Poblano

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to be receiving my DX in the mail tomorrow. Obviously, it will be fresh from the factory, i.e. super stock. I was wondering what the *safest* way would be to go about creating a backup, rooting, and loading FlyX (or allowing myself the capability to install a custom ROM). I just want to ensure that I have the ability to get back to stock if I so choose (though from looking through the forums, I'm thinking that anything developed by Birdman, Koush, and others will be just as good if not BETTER than stock motoblur...).

I can find the links for various guides myself (though links would also be appreciated;)), but what I'm looking for here is a process-by-process guide on what to do IN WHAT ORDER, i.e. root first with this app, , THEN create backup via Titanium Backup, THEN load ROM Manager, THEN get FlyX, etc. Something like that. An ordered step by step guide (maybe with links to other guides, too) of a safe, soundproof way to start hacking.

Step one: Order DX. Receive DX.
Check! (or it will be received tomorrow!:))

Step two: ?? Help is very much appreciated!

EDIT: So after thinking about it for a second, if you are not familiar with android, I would be hesitant to do this all at once. Many of these steps require messing with stuff that was never meant to be fiddled with. I can say from personal experience that finding that you bricked your two week old device can be upsetting. That being said, the sbf is out there (here, namely), and I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND you be comfortable with the idea of wiping your phone clean if you screw something up. I've restored my phone twice already (although once was to get back to 2.1).

First off, I have never tried the Eris root, but it may or may not work. Each device has their own exploit that is used to gain root, and I suspect the X's might be distinct from the Eris. It may or may not work. This, however, has been tested:

1) Get Easy Root

This has to be sideloaded as it was removed from the market. However, you still can pick it up from the dev's website. That can be found here. You do have to buy a licence through Paypal, but when i bought it it was only a dollar. This app makes it impossibly easy to root/unroot your X. Just open, press agree and root.

2) Flash 2.2
This can get a bit complex, but only because we are trying to maintain root after the flash. To maintain root, you must move the file "su" from /system/bin to /system/xbin. This can be done from the terminal, if you understand permissions and mounting. It is much easier, however, if you use root explorer. This is another paid app that is a necessity to the tinkering android user. Its available in the market.
When you have root explorer, open and navigate to /system/bin. Press the button marked Mount R/W. Long press su and press move in the popup menu. Navigate to /system/xbin and paste.
Now download 2.2 from the available sources. The links can be found here. Place the update.zip on the root of the sdcard. Boot into recovery by turning off your phone and restarting by holding the power and home buttons. Install .zip from sdcard. Sit and wait forever.

3) Get the bootstrapper and ROM Manager - Flyx!

You'll need Koush's bootstrapper to use clockworkmod. This can also downloaded from the market. (There is a free version, but support the devs! They deserve it!) Install the bootstrapper from within Koush's program.
Next download ROM Manager from the market. Open and install clockworkmod (the first option). Now download the rom from inside ROM Manager. You might need to buy the premium version to get access to it (4 dollars I think). ROM Manager will install it for you when you download it.
Congratulations! You have FlyX!

Last edited:

derpudel

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
No, the Eris root isn't intended for the X....I was just using that example of a tutorial for showing how a nicely laid out set of instructions would look.

For those new to Android and rooting, seeing a visual step-by-step process is helpful.
However, your clear instructions are quite good!
Still not sure I want to do all this yet...want to wait and see what the OTA 2.2 brings....

derpudel

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
No, the Eris root isn't intended for the X....I was just using that example of a tutorial for showing how a nicely laid out set of instructions would look.

For those new to Android and rooting, seeing a visual step-by-step process is helpful.
However, your clear instructions are quite good!
Still not sure I want to do all this yet...want to wait and see what the OTA 2.2 brings....

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
EDIT: So after thinking about it for a second, if you are not familiar with android, I would be hesitant to do this all at once. Many of these steps require messing with stuff that was never meant to be fiddled with. I can say from personal experience that finding that you bricked your two week old device can be upsetting. That being said, the sbf is out there (here, namely), and I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND you be comfortable with the idea of wiping your phone clean if you screw something up. I've restored my phone twice already (although once was to get back to 2.1).

I can't agree with this more! I was even tempted to start a thread about it and still might.

Also, I'll see about getting a basic tutorial together but the ones around are pretty easy to follow.

derpudel

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I know it's a LOT of work doing a tutorial like the one from the Eris forums on Android Forum. I stumbled across it while looking for a root for my old Eris (gonna practice with it).

But, again...without complete root, w/bootloader cracked, I am so hesitant to root, etc...before we see what they've done to the OTA update.

I did that with my Eris..jumped on a leak for 2.1, only to find out a week or so later, that there was a better leak, but I was stuck without any way to go back to 1.5. I learned my lesson to be patient and wait.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Well with sbf out there you'll be to return to stock. As long u follow the directions you'll be fine.

anon(40324)

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site

First off, I have never tried the Eris root, but it may or may not work. Each device has their own exploit that is used to gain root, and I suspect the X's might be distinct from the Eris. It may or may not work. This, however, has been tested:

1) Get Easy Root

This has to be sideloaded as it was removed from the market. However, you still can pick it up from the dev's website. That can be found here. You do have to buy a licence through Paypal, but when i bought it it was only a dollar. This app makes it impossibly easy to root/unroot your X. Just open, press agree and root.

2) Flash 2.2
This can get a bit complex, but only because we are trying to maintain root after the flash. To maintain root, you must move the file "su" from /system/bin to /system/xbin. This can be done from the terminal, if you understand permissions and mounting. It is much easier, however, if you use root explorer. This is another paid app that is a necessity to the tinkering android user. Its available in the market.
When you have root explorer, open and navigate to /system/bin. Press the button marked Mount R/W. Long press su and press move in the popup menu. Navigate to /system/xbin and paste.
Now download 2.2 from the available sources. The links can be found here. Place the update.zip on the root of the sdcard. Boot into recovery by turning off your phone and restarting by holding the power and home buttons. Install .zip from sdcard. Sit and wait forever.

3) Get the bootstrapper and ROM Manager - Flyx!

You'll need Koush's bootstrapper to use clockworkmod. This can also downloaded from the market. (There is a free version, but support the devs! They deserve it!) Install the bootstrapper from within Koush's program.
Next download ROM Manager from the market. Open and install clockworkmod (the first option). Now download the rom from inside ROM Manager. You might need to buy the premium version to get access to it (4 dollars I think). ROM Manager will install it for you when you download it.
Congratulations! You have FlyX!

Well, I followed this, more or less, and with a few hiccups along the way. At least now I can SBF comfortably! And I'm familiar with clockwork. And best of all, my phone is not bricked! Thanks for the advice all. I'm rooted, running 2.2 and FlyX right now! Now I just have to come up with a sig that says that ;)

El Poblano

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Well, I followed this, more or less, and with a few hiccups along the way. At least now I can SBF comfortably! And I'm familiar with clockwork. And best of all, my phone is not bricked! Thanks for the advice all. I'm rooted, running 2.2 and FlyX right now! Now I just have to come up with a sig that says that ;)

Grats!! It's always a good idea to be familiar with your device- even if the learning process is a bit colorful. Oh and I'm sure there are other ways out there of accomplishing the same thing, generally you just have to find what works for you and you're comfortable with. I'm glad it worked for you tho!

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Anyway we can revert back to 2.2 leak if the FlyX doesn't tickle our fancy? I'd like to give it a try without having to go back to 2.1 stock if it doesn't suit me.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
make a nandroid backup before loading flyX

then if you dont' like it, wipe and restore your nandroid backup.

if you want clarification on how to do these things, let me know. :)

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Yes please, I have an idea it s all done im rom manager but some more info would be highly appreciated here, thanks!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
if you are using rom manager:

when you go to download fly x, before it installs it will ask if you want to wipe your phone as well as backup.

make sure to backup there, it will create a system image and place it in the clockwork folder of your sd card.

to restore, open clockword mod and click "manage and restore backups"
choose the one with the date before you flashed flyx

when it finishes restoring your phone should be just like it was right before you flashed flyx.

make sense? :)

you should back up before doing anything major to the os (rom, theme, etc) so you will always have a working copy to get back to.

you can also do the same thing from recovery.

boot into recovery (either with rom manager or with the bootstrap application

scroll to backup and restore (i think that's what it's called, if not that something similar)

then you can choose to either make a backup, or restore one.

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Ran into a little hiccup, I'm trying to install this rom, fly x final, it reboots back to my original settings. gonna have a nice dinner tonight and give it another shot. Will i lose wireless tethering with fly
X?

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Do you have the boostrap installed. I too had this happen. It would just reboot like normal then I realized I needed the bootstrap and all worked out fine.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
Ran into a little hiccup, I'm trying to install this rom, fly x final, it reboots back to my original settings. gonna have a nice dinner tonight and give it another shot. Will i lose wireless tethering with fly
X?

are you getting any errors?

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Do you have the boostrap installed. I too had this happen. It would just reboot like normal then I realized I needed the bootstrap and all worked out fine.

CAP201009151724.jpg

CAP201009151723.jpg

This is what I have, do I have to turn on bootstrap and then use the ROm Man, or vise versa? And no, I'm not getting any errors, it just reboots. Will this loose my Wi FI Tehering? (Anyway, you guys will get like a major boost in quadrant scores just by using Launcher pro.......2.1 stock in the 1200's, 2.2 leak in the 1300's, 2.2 leak w/ Launcher Pro......in the mid 1400"s!)

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
FlyX is in FULL EFFECT, mission accomplished. Backed up with Bootstrap, went back into Rom Mng. and loaded rom from SD card. Choose NOT to back up or erase cashe, clicked Okay, it strted it's installation routine and is now doing a long boot sequence w/ FLYX. WE HAVE FLYX!
CAP201009152057.jpg

Thanks guys for your patience and guidance, I'll post some Quadrant scores tomorrow. ( first thing noticeable is that this thing is SNAPPY)

Last edited: