06-20-2011 10:32 PM
130 1234 ...
tools
    thanks for the info, but i continuously get this money sign even after it kicks me out and i kill-server then adb shell, its still there even after 3 attempts at the ./rage step what should i do?
    I had to reinstall the adb driver manually after I was in "Charge only" mode. I tried rooting while under "windows media sync" mode and got the dollar sign the first time
    09-22-2010 10:21 AM
    09-22-2010 11:04 AM
    Soo I figured this out, or at least it figured itself out. When I reconnected my phone and went to try again from the beginning for the third time, suddenly I had a root prompt, so I think it's all set!

I'm having some trouble and I am not sure where it is coming from. I followed the instructions clearly, have debug mode enabled for USB and have my phone in windows media sync. Everything worked fine until this step:

./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
    - let the process run until it 'kicks' you out (may take a minute or two) to C:\android-sdk-windows\tools

When I run that step this is what I get:

./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin[*] CVE-2010-EASY Android local root exploit (C) 2010 by 743C
    [*] checking NPROC limit ...
    [+] RLIMIT_NPROC={3815, 3815}[*] Searching for adb ...
    [+] Found adb as PID 5014[*] Spawning children. Dont type anything and wait for reset![*][*] If you like what we are doing you can send us PayPal money to[*] 7-4-3-C@web.de so we can compensate time, effort and HW costs.[*] If you are a company and feel like you profit from our work,[*] we also accept donations > 1000 USD![*][*] adb connection will be reset. restart adb server on desktop and re-login.
    $

It never kicks me out, it always just goes back to the $. I never get the # after the next steps and going back to execute the rageagainstthecage does not change anything, it always does the same thing. Am I missing something or is this the way it is supposed to work? When I tried to go on and run the mount command it gives me an operation not permitted, so I assume I am not at the right place.

Any help would be super appreciated. TIA!
    09-22-2010 12:17 PM
    If you are having trouble getting the ADB driver installed, try the latest from the Motorola site. Motorola_Mobile_Drivers_4.7.1_MotoConnect_1.1.31.

My previous 4.6 drivers weren't working for OTA froyo on the phone before rooting.
    Kimasu, slater and jimmyt like this.
    09-22-2010 12:21 PM
    Successfully rooted on 2.2! Thanks man. Ran into a few hiccups though, first one being me not being able to push the superuser file to the sd card. To remedy that, I uninstalled the motorola drivers from the comp and reinstalled the Android composite ADB Device and it was able to send them.

Second one was when I was told I would get a #, it still gave me a $ sign. I disconnected my device, exited cmd, then reconnected my device, ran adb devices, then adb shell and the 2 steps after. That time I got a # sign and it went smoothly from there! Thanks again man you're awesome! Drocap and wireless tether running beautifully
    09-22-2010 01:07 PM
    I can't download the Motorola drivers. I get an error everytime. It says the link is "dangerous" and won't allow it. I've never had that happen on any download before.
    09-22-2010 01:20 PM
    So, do we go ahead and install ClockworkMod via Rom Manager on this?
    09-22-2010 02:09 PM
    Edit: Nevermind I got it to work and now have working root. Thanks man.
    09-22-2010 02:16 PM
    I think I'll wait for a simple way to root since I'm not familiar with command prompt. Altho I'm a pretty big PC geek... :x
    09-22-2010 02:18 PM
    I tried again and it stops at "adb shell" and tells me the device isn't found. Any ideas?
    09-22-2010 02:41 PM
    when waiting for it to kick you out after the "./rage.." line you said it will take a minute or two, does that mean I should be concerned when it's been more than 10-15 minutes "checking NPROC limit" ?
    09-22-2010 02:51 PM
    FYI's for people:

I didn't unroot my stock 2.1 before installing the OTA update today, and had no problems with the update.

Windows 7 x64:

When you download/install ADB from the google link, let ADB download everything (that's what I did at least), all the packages and stuff.

I used Media Sync mode (the phone wouldn't show up when I did adb devices in Charge Only mode).

I usually had to wait a while (under a minute) for the phone to show up when I did the "adb devices" command, but eventually it would. Like another poster, the first time I did adb shell I still had a $ indicating no root yet. I did it twice more (and didn't disconnect the phone, didn't touch the command prompt either) and finally had root. If you need to re-do those steps, you'll have to do the three adjacent commands together (cd /data/local/tmp etc etc etc) and wait for the rage process to finish and kick you out of the adb prompt.

Hopefully this helps someone out there.

Thanks all! I will never buy another motorola phone if they keep this anti-hacking stuff up (there are still no *true* custom ROMs...), but you can't deny this is an awesome phone!

Be careful. Don't brick it. lol...
    neslot likes this.
    09-22-2010 02:58 PM
    25 minutes on the
    "adb connection will reset...
    $"

is that bad?

EDIT: My Co-worker accidentally unlplugged my phone, i plugged it back in and I had the hash symbol (#) so I continued to go on and it is rooted now. Thanks a ton!
    09-22-2010 03:18 PM
    I got it to work somehow. did anyone else have to go into the files on your phone and click on superuser.apk to install superuser?
    09-22-2010 03:28 PM
    I got it to work somehow. did anyone else have to go into the files on your phone and click on superuser.apk to install superuser?
    I did not. Did you have any other issues?
    09-22-2010 03:31 PM
    I put the files in the wrong place on my computer but once I sorted that out it went through everything fine and I now have root access
    09-22-2010 03:33 PM
    Thanks for the info, worked perfectly here!
    09-22-2010 03:45 PM
    how do you know if it worked? Barnacle says its running but my laptop will not connect.
    09-22-2010 03:51 PM
    how do you know if it worked? Barnacle says its running but my laptop will not connect.
    I have heard of a few people running into problems with wireless tethering with 2.2 but I don't use it so I can't help you there.

You can tell if root works if you're able to use "root only" applications or if you have a terminal emulator, open it and type "su" and it should ask for superuser permission.
    09-22-2010 03:54 PM
    Ever since i updated my phone i cant get a connection with my computer again. I tried uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling them and still no luck. Anyone else have this issue?
    09-22-2010 04:07 PM
    I have heard of a few people running into problems with wireless tethering with 2.2 but I don't use it so I can't help you there.

You can tell if root works if you're able to use "root only" applications or if you have a terminal emulator, open it and type "su" and it should ask for superuser permission.
    drocap worked so it must be Barnacle...hmm
    09-22-2010 04:11 PM
    root worked perfect for me. Thanks! Also, I downloaded "wireless tether" from the app market, works perfect on rooted OTA 2.2
    09-22-2010 04:15 PM
    Good Lord, can someone PLEASE help me:/ ??

I followed these instructions to a T, and it didn't work. I got to the part where I wait for the phone to "kick me out" ... it then reset my phone, and my phone came back on with an Android and an exclamation point! Then I did a battery pull and my phone came back on.

I then tried to redo everything, and when I got to the stage "chmod 0755..." it said that it was unable to chmod rageag...: Operation not permitted.

Can anyone PLEASE help me out? I had my 2.1 Droid X rooted, and then I did the OTA update WITHOUT un-rooting. When the update was finished, I still had superuser app and all that, but none of it worked because I lost root. Did I miss something?

Thanks for the support everyone!
    09-22-2010 04:17 PM
    +1
    Linux/Ubuntu makes it a breeze glad I switched to Linux.
    09-22-2010 04:36 PM
    Good Lord, can someone PLEASE help me:/ ??

I followed these instructions to a T, and it didn't work. I got to the part where I wait for the phone to "kick me out" ... it then reset my phone, and my phone came back on with an Android and an exclamation point! Then I did a battery pull and my phone came back on.
    Same issue here...

Had to pull out the battery... Ill prob give it another shot later tonight...
    09-22-2010 05:14 PM
130 1234 ...