06-20-2011 10:32 PM
130 12345 ...
tools
    Got it. for those using Barnacle you may need to make a slight change in Barnacle settings. I needed to enable skip wpa_supplicant. alls good now. Thanks OP!!!
    09-22-2010 05:47 PM
    This, I found, while having troubles with the OP directions (User Error, not OP directions error). But this worked like a charm. Credit to DARKONION at XDA Forums.

How to: Root DROID X Running Official Android 2.2 - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog
    09-22-2010 06:55 PM
    I followed the instructions to a T but my Titanium Backup will not get root access.

EDIT: Fixed it, had to manually install Superuser.apk
    09-22-2010 07:28 PM
    yeah if i could ever get it to recognize my phone i might be set
    09-22-2010 07:35 PM
    yeah if i could ever get it to recognize my phone i might be set
    Do you have the correct drivers installed?
    09-22-2010 08:04 PM
    This is as far as I'm getting...

"adb connection will be reset. restart adb server on desktop and re-login."

Then it just does nothing. Can anyone PLEASE help??? This is so frustrating.
    09-22-2010 09:01 PM

What do you mean it does nothing? And where are you seeing that message?
    09-22-2010 09:08 PM

I was sitting at this earlier today for an hour. My co-worker decided to unplug my phone...so I figured I'd have to restart...but nope I had the # instead of the $. In other words try unplugging the usb cable from your phone and it will "kick" you out..them just follow the ready of the instructions.
    09-22-2010 09:10 PM
    i get down to cd cd C:\android-sdk-windows\tools after the ./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin and says cant cd to C:\android-sdk-windows\tools
    09-22-2010 09:11 PM
    i get down to cd cd ,C:\android-sdk-windows\tools after the ./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin and says cant cd to C:\android-sdk-windows\tools
    Are you actually typing "cd cd C:\android-sdk-windows\tools"? Should only be one cd not two.

If it is just one cd make sure that you extracted the sdk to that specific folder.
    09-22-2010 09:21 PM
    all i did is download the android sdk and update all took a while.. in my C: drive got the # than i got there and saying cant cd and its only one.
    09-22-2010 09:30 PM
    all i did is download the android sdk and update all took a while.. in my C: drive got the # than i got there and saying cant cd and its only one.
    If you see a # then you are past the part needed to use the cd command. Did you use the adb kill-server command at all?
    09-22-2010 09:37 PM
    i got it i had the dollar sign kept goign and than when i adb shell i ended up getting the # works good.. now to see what else i can do =) thanks
    09-22-2010 09:55 PM
    Wow. Been stuck on this for nearly 15 minutes now:

Any suggestions?
    09-22-2010 10:41 PM
    any prompt like # if so continue if not restart the process again took me a couple of times to get it.
    09-22-2010 11:04 PM
    What should come up in the command prompt after I type in the command "chmod 0755 rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin"? Please help me! I can get all the way through and get the # symbol at the end but the root does not take. I do not have access to Superuser or any of my other apps that require rooting.
    09-23-2010 09:42 AM
    Hey Guys, I keep getting permission denied whenever I try to copy files (using ADB push or within terminal) EX

push Superuser.apk /data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk "Permission Denied"
    push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

using Terminal I tried to copy the rage file into the /data/local/tmp directory

cp /sdcard/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin "Permission Denied"

I was rooted "using the terminal method" on stock the stock android OS which came with the Droid X + the minor update they did about a month ago and then I did the OTA to Froyo yesterday. My SU apk is still there but no root access... Any help???
    09-23-2010 10:43 AM
    worked like a champ once I got the right moto usb drivers - like mentioned in other posts - get the 4.7.1 drivers here https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?...token=juo7KkH-

Then charge only mode works - however, I was also able to use the drivers in the original post by selecting media sync. Big thanks to avlfive! Now time to remove the crap!
    09-23-2010 12:01 PM
    ok, did the right moto driver reinstall (also did the turning off debugging mode trick to get the drivers to line up for the first time and then turned debugging back on - works fine). Tried the doroot method, but no matter what configuration of modes i try, the root fails.

Which brings me here to try and give it a whirl manually.

I'm good up until ./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin, where I get "permission denied." Anyone know why that might be?

Thanks!
    09-23-2010 04:29 PM
    Update: Got it working. Backing up in Titanium as I write this.

Was a little weird during the process. Change connection mode to Windows media sync after the above "permission denied" debacle. Doing this booted me out of the shell, so I re-did all the steps. got a weird "text file busy" message when executing "cp /sdcard/busybox /system/bin/busybox". Tried it a few times with the same result and decided to say **** it and continue following the instructions.

Long story short, I have root. Why the **** does every individual phone seem to require tweaking to the steps in order for this to be successful? Bizarre. I know why Windows machines with different hardware and drivers and whatnot require tweaking and I'm pretty good at that, but we all have the same damn hardware on the X, do we not?

Anyway, try the above if you're having trouble.
    09-23-2010 04:52 PM
    I cannot for the life of me get passed the cp command. I get a "cp: not found" error.
    As if cp does not exist as a command.
    Has anyone else seen this?
    09-23-2010 05:54 PM
    Here is the fix for my problem with the missing cp command:

cp not found on Root Droid - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

Thank you very much. I am not root
    09-23-2010 06:18 PM
    Followed the instructions to the letter and it worked perfectly on my 2.2 droid x. Once I saw the little navy seal(?) superuser icon I knew it was good to go. I have also learned quite a bit here in just a few hours which is much needed. thanks
    09-23-2010 09:09 PM
    Ok, I don't wann start freaking out yet but I am stuck here:
    [*] adb connection will be reset. restart adb server on desktop and re-login.
    $

Can anybody please tell me if I can just start over without screw something or there is any other processIi have to do now?
    Thank you!
    09-23-2010 09:47 PM
    Just keep going.

cd C:\android-sdk-windows\tools
    09-23-2010 10:03 PM
130 12345 ...