[How To] Root Your Droid X [Official 2.2 OTA]

vital01

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
all i did is download the android sdk and update all took a while.. in my C: drive got the # than i got there and saying cant cd and its only one.

slater

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
all i did is download the android sdk and update all took a while.. in my C: drive got the # than i got there and saying cant cd and its only one.

If you see a # then you are past the part needed to use the cd command. Did you use the adb kill-server command at all?

vital01

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
i got it i had the dollar sign kept goign and than when i adb shell i ended up getting the # works good.. now to see what else i can do =) thanks

jdhas

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Wow. Been stuck on this for nearly 15 minutes now:

"adb connection will be reset. restart adb server on desktop and re-login."

Any suggestions?

oldschool71

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
What should follow this command?

What should come up in the command prompt after I type in the command "chmod 0755 rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin"? Please help me! I can get all the way through and get the # symbol at the end but the root does not take. I do not have access to Superuser or any of my other apps that require rooting.

aw3sk3r

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Hey Guys, I keep getting permission denied whenever I try to copy files (using ADB push or within terminal) EX

push Superuser.apk /data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk "Permission Denied"
push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

using Terminal I tried to copy the rage file into the /data/local/tmp directory

cp /sdcard/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin "Permission Denied"

I was rooted "using the terminal method" on stock the stock android OS which came with the Droid X + the minor update they did about a month ago and then I did the OTA to Froyo yesterday. My SU apk is still there but no root access... :( Any help???

Last edited:

rndmsfree

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
permission denied

ok, did the right moto driver reinstall (also did the turning off debugging mode trick to get the drivers to line up for the first time and then turned debugging back on - works fine). Tried the doroot method, but no matter what configuration of modes i try, the root fails.

Which brings me here to try and give it a whirl manually.

I'm good up until ./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin, where I get "permission denied." Anyone know why that might be?

Thanks!

rndmsfree

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Update: Got it working. Backing up in Titanium as I write this.

Was a little weird during the process. Change connection mode to Windows media sync after the above "permission denied" debacle. Doing this booted me out of the shell, so I re-did all the steps. got a weird "text file busy" message when executing "cp /sdcard/busybox /system/bin/busybox". Tried it a few times with the same result and decided to say **** it and continue following the instructions.

Long story short, I have root. Why the **** does every individual phone seem to require tweaking to the steps in order for this to be successful? Bizarre. I know why Windows machines with different hardware and drivers and whatnot require tweaking and I'm pretty good at that, but we all have the same damn hardware on the X, do we not?

Anyway, try the above if you're having trouble.

abelenkiy

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I cannot for the life of me get passed the cp command. I get a "cp: not found" error.
As if cp does not exist as a command.
Has anyone else seen this?

comfortably nub

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Followed the instructions to the letter and it worked perfectly on my 2.2 droid x. Once I saw the little navy seal(?) superuser icon I knew it was good to go. I have also learned quite a bit here in just a few hours which is much needed. thanks

Hawk600

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I don't wann start freaking out yet but I am stuck here:
[*] adb connection will be reset. restart adb server on desktop and re-login.
$

Can anybody please tell me if I can just start over without screw something or there is any other processIi have to do now?
Thank you!

Last edited:

Hawk600

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
All right! Update:
After more than 10 minutes it kicked me out to C:\android-sdk-windows\tools !!
So I guess the process can take longer than 2 minutes and you have to be patient and don't touch it!
I will try the rest of the process now and will update again!
I am using Window 7 ultimate 64 bit and the Motorola drivers are the latest as posted here.

UPDATE 2:
I went through all the steps until exit without hiccups, than I disconnected the usb cable and rebooted.
I have passed the M logo but I am stuck for about 10 mins. in the red moto eye!

UPDATE 3 and FINAL: SUCCESS!!!!
I had to take the battery out and re start and now the phone is rooted!
I am running Titanium Backup now.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH Avlfive specially for posting clear instructions on how install ADB and drivers in the computer.

Last edited:

Rclthms

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Rooted

I had rooted 2.1, did OTA before I deleted anything and I was getting stuck after ./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin. I kept getting permission denied after adb shell. Did the Droid2 Root and it took 10 min. but it all went through. Props go out to Darkonion and Avlfive! Hope this helps the guys with similar situations

evldead123

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Im running a DX with leaked 2.2
I went through all the steps and seemed to be successful. The Superuser Permissions app shows up but no root apps are working. When I hit Superuser Permissions it opens and shows an empty menu. Not sure whats going on.

javor2000

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I rooted my DX last night. The only problem that I had was that Motorola drivers. Once I got the latest driver from the Motorola site everything went smooth. Running Wireless Tether now.

Thanks

HelloMotoX

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Im running a DX with leaked 2.2
I went through all the steps and seemed to be successful. The Superuser Permissions app shows up but no root apps are working. When I hit Superuser Permissions it opens and shows an empty menu. Not sure whats going on.

By chance was your 2.1 rooted prior to 2.2 upgrade. If thats the case, there was an issue with the script that caused corruption due to SU and BusyBox already being installed prior to 2.2 rooting. Try this The 2.1 version of the script should fix your rooting problems.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary