[How To] Root Your Droid X [Official 2.2 OTA]

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I went ahead and downloaded the most recent OTA which obviously unroots your device so I decided to go ahead and try to root it using the Droid2 method and it worked just fine for me.

Here are the instructions from XDA written by karnovaran.

I changed a few things because his directions weren't working correctly for me but credit goes to him for the write-up.

STANDARD DISCLAIMER HERE - YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT YOU DO TO YOUR DEVICE. I, NOR ANYBODY ELSE ARE MAKING YOU DO THIS SO WHATEVER MAY HAPPEN TO YOUR DEVICE IS ON YOU.

Setup:
- Install adb (here) and Motorola drivers for windows(32-bit or 64-bit)
- Download attached archive
- Extract the individual files to a directory, I used C:\android-sdk-windows\tools
- Make sure you have USB degugging enabled
- Change connection to Charge Only

Process:
- Open command prompt
- cd C:\android-sdk-windows\tools
- adb devices (to verify the connection)
- adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk
- adb push su /sdcard/su
- adb push busybox /sdcard/busybox
- adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
- adb shell
- cd data/local/tmp
- chmod 0755 rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

- ./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
- let the process run until it 'kicks' you out (may take a minute or two) to C:\android-sdk-windows\tools
- cd C:\android-sdk-windows\tools
- adb kill-server
- adb devices (to verify the connection)
- adb shell (you should now have a # prompt, if not return to ./rage step above)

- mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- cp /sdcard/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
- cp /sdcard/su /system/bin/su
- cp /sdcard/busybox /system/bin/busybox
- chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
- chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
- mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- exit
- exit

AGAIN, CREDIT FOR THE EXPLOIT GOES TO Sebastian Krahmer at C skills

Last edited:

wugawug

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
if i go to manage apps and go down i can find superuser permissions but theres no options for everything on it unistall, force close, clear data, everything is greyed out. i thought to be rooted superuser permissions had to be in the app drawer

Iceman0803

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I cant push any files to the sd card. I keep getting "failed to copy...permission denied"

EDIT: I had "mass storage mode" enabled instead of "charge only". Got my DX rooted now :D

Last edited:

PhoenixMike

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm a complete newbie when it comes to rooting...I got as far as "adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk" but can't get any further. Can someone help?

PhoenixMike

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Can you describe what happens?

It gives me some error saying its not found. I didn't understand the whole "adb" thing either. I had to Google it to find that I had to place the files in the system folder... Is there a simpler way to do this? I'm NOT good at command promt :(

HumanMachine

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
According to A tweet from Birdman, once you upgrade to 2.2 the 2.1 SBF does not work anymore. I think I'll refrain from rooting until we have a reliable method to SBF for now.

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Debug on and charge only mode, but device doesn't show as attached....

EDIT: Changed to "Windows Media Sync" mode and it worked fine. Would not work in Charge Only mode.

I'm Rooted and Barnacle WiFi works GREAT still!!!
Drocap works also.

I'm happy!
Now to attack the wife's X...

Last edited:

Iceman0803

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
It gives me some error saying its not found. I didn't understand the whole "adb" thing either. I had to Google it to find that I had to place the files in the system folder... Is there a simpler way to do this? I'm NOT good at command promt :(

You have to have "adb.exe" and all of the files that you are trying to push to the sd card in the same folder.
Debug on and charge only mode, but device doesn't show as attached....

Make sure the usb drivers installed correctly. Particularly the "ADB device" one

bigjakex3

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Root an a MAC

Can someone point me to rooting the DX on a Mac? I guess I could wait for a one button root but I would like to do it now if possible.

Thanks
Jake

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
By the way, this works great under Linux as well (with some obvious modifications). Just install the SDK, understand your paths (android-sdk-linux_86, for example), and you're good to go!

roberte1342

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Wow. I just completed a complete sbf to 2.1 wipe, upgrade to OTA then rooted without knowing there is no sbf recovery available to go back if the OTA install gets bricked.
Be careful rooting. If you screw this up you will have a brick until the new sbf is released.

racinwarrior

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
this will be my first attempt at rooting

i have installed all of the files from the links

do i just open the command prompt and type the different lines in?

(obviously after connecting my phone and such)

slater

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Can you root the official froyo without adb by using android terminal emulator? If not I suppose I can wait till I'm home from work.

Thanks!

typo

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Rooted 2.2 OTA per the instructions and working 100% so far root explorer requested root access haven't tested any other apps yet.

tested other root req'd apps and all works good.

Last edited:

monkespit

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Just to clarify...
The "adb" link from OP goes to the google/android sdk site, and after downloading and installing the sdk thing and all it's packages or whatever it does there on it's own, then I can assume the "adb" thing is installed and proceed accordingly?
or did I install a bunch of nonsense I didn't need to?

Millgasm

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
could i get some help? after I type in root shell all i get a money sign, after that when i type in commands nothing happens, it just repeats the last line i typed in

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2