06-20-2011 10:32 PM
130 123 ...
tools
    I went ahead and downloaded the most recent OTA which obviously unroots your device so I decided to go ahead and try to root it using the Droid2 method and it worked just fine for me.

Here are the instructions from XDA written by karnovaran.

I changed a few things because his directions weren't working correctly for me but credit goes to him for the write-up.

STANDARD DISCLAIMER HERE - YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT YOU DO TO YOUR DEVICE. I, NOR ANYBODY ELSE ARE MAKING YOU DO THIS SO WHATEVER MAY HAPPEN TO YOUR DEVICE IS ON YOU.

Setup:
    - Install adb (here) and Motorola drivers for windows(32-bit or 64-bit)
    - Download attached archive
    - Extract the individual files to a directory, I used C:\android-sdk-windows\tools
    - Make sure you have USB degugging enabled
    - Change connection to Charge Only

Process:
    - Open command prompt
    - cd C:\android-sdk-windows\tools
    - adb devices (to verify the connection)
    - adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk
    - adb push su /sdcard/su
    - adb push busybox /sdcard/busybox
    - adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
    - adb shell
    - cd data/local/tmp
    - chmod 0755 rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

- ./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
    - let the process run until it 'kicks' you out (may take a minute or two) to C:\android-sdk-windows\tools
    - cd C:\android-sdk-windows\tools
    - adb kill-server
    - adb devices (to verify the connection)
    - adb shell (you should now have a # prompt, if not return to ./rage step above)

- mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
    - cp /sdcard/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
    - cp /sdcard/su /system/bin/su
    - cp /sdcard/busybox /system/bin/busybox
    - chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
    - chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
    - mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
    - exit
    - exit

AGAIN, CREDIT FOR THE EXPLOIT GOES TO Sebastian Krahmer at C skills
    09-22-2010 12:11 AM
    if i go to manage apps and go down i can find superuser permissions but theres no options for everything on it unistall, force close, clear data, everything is greyed out. i thought to be rooted superuser permissions had to be in the app drawer
    09-22-2010 02:10 AM
    I cant push any files to the sd card. I keep getting "failed to copy...permission denied"

EDIT: I had "mass storage mode" enabled instead of "charge only". Got my DX rooted now
    09-22-2010 03:11 AM
    I'm a complete newbie when it comes to rooting...I got as far as "adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk" but can't get any further. Can someone help?
    09-22-2010 03:29 AM
    I'm a complete newbie when it comes to rooting...I got as far as "adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk" but can't get any further. Can someone help?
    Can you describe what happens?
    09-22-2010 03:47 AM
    Can you describe what happens?
    It gives me some error saying its not found. I didn't understand the whole "adb" thing either. I had to Google it to find that I had to place the files in the system folder... Is there a simpler way to do this? I'm NOT good at command promt
    09-22-2010 03:58 AM
    According to A tweet from Birdman, once you upgrade to 2.2 the 2.1 SBF does not work anymore. I think I'll refrain from rooting until we have a reliable method to SBF for now.
    09-22-2010 04:00 AM
    ya i need help to, dont have a clue i want root. someone make a quick video?
    09-22-2010 04:00 AM
    Debug on and charge only mode, but device doesn't show as attached....

EDIT: Changed to "Windows Media Sync" mode and it worked fine. Would not work in Charge Only mode.

I'm Rooted and Barnacle WiFi works GREAT still!!!
    Drocap works also.

I'm happy!
    Now to attack the wife's X...
    09-22-2010 04:26 AM
    It gives me some error saying its not found. I didn't understand the whole "adb" thing either. I had to Google it to find that I had to place the files in the system folder... Is there a simpler way to do this? I'm NOT good at command promt
    You have to have "adb.exe" and all of the files that you are trying to push to the sd card in the same folder.
    Debug on and charge only mode, but device doesn't show as attached....
    Make sure the usb drivers installed correctly. Particularly the "ADB device" one
    09-22-2010 04:39 AM
    Can someone point me to rooting the DX on a Mac? I guess I could wait for a one button root but I would like to do it now if possible.

Thanks
    Jake
    09-22-2010 05:16 AM
    By the way, this works great under Linux as well (with some obvious modifications). Just install the SDK, understand your paths (android-sdk-linux_86, for example), and you're good to go!
    09-22-2010 06:08 AM
    Wow. I just completed a complete sbf to 2.1 wipe, upgrade to OTA then rooted without knowing there is no sbf recovery available to go back if the OTA install gets bricked.
    Be careful rooting. If you screw this up you will have a brick until the new sbf is released.
    09-22-2010 06:27 AM
    this will be my first attempt at rooting

i have installed all of the files from the links

do i just open the command prompt and type the different lines in?

(obviously after connecting my phone and such)
    09-22-2010 06:37 AM
    Can you post the commands on how to unroot? Sorry linux cmd line newbie
    09-22-2010 07:44 AM
    Can you root the official froyo without adb by using android terminal emulator? If not I suppose I can wait till I'm home from work.

Thanks!
    09-22-2010 08:03 AM
    Rooted 2.2 OTA per the instructions and working 100% so far root explorer requested root access haven't tested any other apps yet.

tested other root req'd apps and all works good.
    09-22-2010 08:07 AM
    Ran instructions 100% as posted, rebooted...no problems.
    Ran titanium backup, requested su, worked perfect. YES!
    09-22-2010 08:54 AM
    Just to clarify...
    The "adb" link from OP goes to the google/android sdk site, and after downloading and installing the sdk thing and all it's packages or whatever it does there on it's own, then I can assume the "adb" thing is installed and proceed accordingly?
    or did I install a bunch of nonsense I didn't need to?
    09-22-2010 09:13 AM
    could i get some help? after I type in root shell all i get a money sign, after that when i type in commands nothing happens, it just repeats the last line i typed in
    09-22-2010 09:37 AM
    could i get some help? after I type in root shell all i get a money sign, after that when i type in commands nothing happens, it just repeats the last line i typed in
    No worries mate, thats what is supposed to happen. Just continue down the instructions and reboot when finished.

I found that I needed to have my USB set to Media Mode, otherwise, I would get a blank list of devices when I did the adb devices. And extracting the files to the androidsdk/tools directory is the best way to go so you dont have to add extra paths to this direction
    09-22-2010 09:46 AM
    No worries mate, thats what is supposed to happen. Just continue down the instructions and reboot when finished.

I found that I needed to have my USB set to Media Mode, otherwise, I would get a blank list of devices when I did the adb devices. And extracting the files to the androidsdk/tools directory is the best way to go so you dont have to add extra paths to this direction
    thanks for the info, but i continuously get this money sign even after it kicks me out and i kill-server then adb shell, its still there even after 3 attempts at the ./rage step what should i do?
    09-22-2010 09:58 AM
    Awesome work great!!!!!
    09-22-2010 10:05 AM
    so i have kinda a weird situation first of all i was rooted before i took the update didnt unroot or remove my root apps then went ahead and updated everything went smoothly and to my surprise when went to universal androot to try and root again it said i was already rooted!! so it seemed that i didnt lose root during the update but none of my root apps work and i can still go in to superuser permissions but it force closes alot but when i try to unroot and root again it wont unroot or reroot i havent seen anything like this on the fourms so any help would be much appricated thanks
    09-22-2010 10:13 AM
    Thanks for the instructions. Worked for me with minimal trouble (just had to manually install the adb drivers on my windows 7 laptop).
    09-22-2010 10:19 AM
130 123 ...