What happans when....

D2TSHR1439

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
You wont be able to update and you will get a failure upon install (if you can get that far) if you try an OTA . You can always unroot and factory reset for OTA updates if you really want them. Your phone is still rooted after a reset in most cases.

I am still running 2.2 Leak with Root. Wont be doing the 2.2 Official with root till officials kinks are worked out.

sc0rpion

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I have the 2.2 ota rooted. So I would need to unroot first before a factory reset or not? Would doing the reset put me back stock or is it not that simple?

D2TSHR1439

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Doing a reset will most likely keep you rooted, or atleast show SU permissions still. You will need to unroot your phone if you want it unrooted.

What are you trying to accomplish here??

sc0rpion

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I just wanted to know my options available to me after a root. There's articles saying what root does. But nothing substantial saying what exactly you couldn't do once you root, at least none that I could find. After a little while I feel that I need to do a factory reset to get it that fresh feel again and didn't want to "brick" my phone if I did a factory reset. Im still a droid newbie and reading all I can find. I did my root the hard way because I like command strings over the simple 1 clicks where you have to trust whoever made it that its doing what it was made to did. My next adventure is to flash some custom roms and bootup animations, just taking one step at a time.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
so long as you haven't deleted any of the core apps, and not messed with the framework or services, installing an ota shouldn't mess up your phone aside from you losing root.

shouldn't being the key word, as the latest OTA has apparently been a huge bucket of fail.

long live the leaks! :p