OK so I am pretty much pissed at whoever created Tranquility....

Rooted phone...
    backed up using Titanium Backup...
    followed Tranquility directions (install the .zip in clockwork)...

[this led to a boot loop of Tranquility]

tried to install update.zip...fail...
    tried many mnay other things i read online...

[this is where i think things got messed up]

i went stupid and thought holding the up button while booting made it boot into bootloader. it doesnt, what it does do is freeze at the M and allows RSD Lite to access the device. So i thought it was working and tried to flash - it tried a few things and failed....

tried a few more things...even loading a backup of my old DX that the problematic one was supposed to be replacing....

then performed a proper flash via RSD Lite and things seemed to be going well...until the DX rebooted, now it reads

Err.A5,70,70,00,1F

MEM_MAP Blank
    Service Req'd

I have tried to flash it about 4-5 times and get this everytime. Am I screwed? Is it toast? Is there a way I can get Verizon to replace the phone?

Please any help is appreciated.
    10-06-2010 07:07 AM
    reboot with the backup in your Koush recovery folder.
    Had similar experience with mine.
    SBF may have not been a great idea in your situation ???
    You may be going to VZW . Hope i'm wrong try to boot into recovery with the Bootstrap program you have use the saved backup to bring you back.
    10-06-2010 08:47 AM
    I hope for everyone elses sake that VZW tries to flash your phone, and not give you a new one unless you pay for it.

Mod'ing comes with certain risks. I dont want to pay higher rates because lower level wannabees brick their phones and then con VZW into a new phone (not addressing you as a wannabee, just saying for all others, you might have a great tech background. but I dont know you, so this isnt personal, just business)
    quiklives likes this.
    10-06-2010 09:53 AM
    I hope for everyone elses sake that VZW tries to flash your phone, and not give you a new one unless you pay for it.

Mod'ing comes with certain risks. I dont want to pay higher rates because lower level wannabees brick their phones and then con VZW into a new phone (not addressing you as a wannabee, just saying for all others, you might have a great tech background. but I dont know you, so this isnt personal, just business)
    i hope they just get a new phone, and it comes out of motorola's pocket (however unlikely that last part is)

maybe then moto will learn the benefit of not locking our phones to hell. and at the very least giving us the proper tools to recover them on our own if we do mess it up.
    WAldenIV likes this.
    10-06-2010 12:27 PM
    you are flashing with the wrong SBF. get the correct one
    if you did not run the 2.2 OTA then get the 2.1 sbf
    10-06-2010 01:19 PM
    you are flashing with the wrong SBF. get the correct one
    if you did not run the 2.2 OTA then get the 2.1 sbf
    Nice catch... Good point is he running 2.1 or 2.2 as your saying each update has a different SBF.
    10-06-2010 01:29 PM
    i hope they just get a new phone, and it comes out of motorola's pocket (however unlikely that last part is)

maybe then moto will learn the benefit of not locking our phones to hell. and at the very least giving us the proper tools to recover them on our own if we do mess it up.
    LOL my next phone will be a HTC for sure unless they get stupid like Moto...
    10-06-2010 01:31 PM
    I was running the OTA2.2 and did in fact try to sbf with the 2.1 sbf. Where can I get the 2.2 sbf?
    10-06-2010 03:47 PM
    There is nothing you can do at this point.
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/moto...ite-4-8-a.html
    Since you tried to flash the 2.1 you are stuck at taking the phone back.
    10-06-2010 04:34 PM
    There is nothing you can do at this point.
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/moto...ite-4-8-a.html
    Since you tried to flash the 2.1 you are stuck at taking the phone back.
    This is correct. Or you can just sit and wait and hope for the full 2.2 .sbf but who knows when and if that will come out.

I have heard of people taking it in to Verizon and playing dumb and saying that the 2.2 OTA update caused it. Not saying that will work but I have heard success stories.
    10-06-2010 04:39 PM
    Damn, i feel stupid now. This was a replacement phone for a blown speaker on my original. So I have a few weeks to wait before i need to send it back.

But its off to Verizon for me, hopefully I get a fellow hacker that has sympathy on my poor soul.
    10-06-2010 04:46 PM
    Damn, i feel stupid now. This was a replacement phone for a blown speaker on my original. So I have a few weeks to wait before i need to send it back.

But its off to Verizon for me, hopefully I get a fellow hacker that has sympathy on my poor soul.
    I really wouldn't count on that. As soon as you mention anything about "bricks" or ".sbfs" or "root" or keywords like that, they'll know what happened and you'll be stuck paying for a new one.

So again, I'd recommend playing completely dumb or waiting it out for the full .sbf if/when that gets leaked.

Good luck.
    10-06-2010 04:49 PM
    Phew! That was easier than I thought. Told them I did the 2.2 update and it froze at the m then " I held some buttons together while booting and it got really messed up". Now I am getting a new phone and not doing anything to it until I know exactly what I am doing lol.

Thanks all
    10-06-2010 06:37 PM
    Phew! That was easier than I thought. Told them I did the 2.2 update and it froze at the m then " I held some buttons together while booting and it got really messed up". Now I am getting a new phone and not doing anything to it until I know exactly what I am doing lol.

Thanks all
    Just learn through the mistakes.
    10-06-2010 07:04 PM
    Well I probably have the record for bricking a X, I had the phone 3 days and messed up with the 2.1 file and bricked it. Played stupid at the local Verizon store and got another new phone no charge. So now I am very very careful with what I do.
    I dont see enough of a difference in some of the Roms to even bother with them. I have tried a couple of the themes on the new phone with no issue. I did do the one click Root thing and everything is working just fine now. So until someone cracks the 2.2 brick routine I wont be doing much to my phone.
    10-07-2010 05:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD