Is it possible to push the Droid X's performance a little bit further without Root?

SuperChargedJ

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Believe me; I have done a lot of research on this topic. I have read the forums here on AC, Verizon, etc., in addition to watching videos on various sites including Youtube about the topic of rooting. I absolutely love improving the performances of my devices to make them better, so I can get the most out of them. I came from BB Storm and I used to hack it and load hybrid software on it all the time despite it voiding my warranty.

But I'm more leery of Linux and the Android OS due to potential security issues that may happen with my personal information, including the personal information of my friends and family. I have done a lot to my Droid X (2.2) since I got it in July, and I love the way it runs now. I want to know if there are any tips or guides anyone could provide so I could get a little bit more out of my device without rooting it.

I have zero battery issues or lag on my phone. I use SystemPanel, Watchdog, Ultimate JuiceDefender and Spare Parts apps for example. If a similar topic has already been posted, I apologize but I wanted to propose this question to the AC masses in my own words. Thanks in advance to everyone who replies.

Reactions: chevota84

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Believe me; I have done a lot of research on this topic. I have read the forums here on AC, Verizon, etc., in addition to watching videos on various sites including Youtube about the topic of rooting. I absolutely love improving the performances of my devices to make them better, so I can get the most out of them. I came from BB Storm and I used to hack it and load hybrid software on it all the time despite it voiding my warranty.

But I'm more leery of Linux and the Android OS due to potential security issues that may happen with my personal information, including the personal information of my friends and family. I have done a lot to my Droid X (2.2) since I got it in July, and I love the way it runs now. I want to know if there are any tips or guides anyone could provide so I could get a little bit more out of my device without rooting it.

I have zero battery issues or lag on my phone. I use SystemPanel, Watchdog, Ultimate JuiceDefender and Spare Parts apps for example. If a similar topic has already been posted, I apologize but I wanted to propose this question to the AC masses in my own words. Thanks in advance to everyone who replies.
If your leary of security issues why did you buy an android?

SuperChargedJ

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I got the Droid because it was the best available device VZW was offering. And I'm more concerned with security after rooting but like other person commented, if its the same than I have more to consider about rooting. Does anyone have advice to increase performance prior to rooting?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
The only noticeable performance thing I know of that can be done without root is loading a better UI, like LauncherPro Plus.

Rooting is not going to expose your data, but it will open you up to an assortment of useful apps that require root access, like making complete system backups, through Titanium or a nandroid backup via Bootstrap, as well as performance enhancers like SetCPU.

Reactions: SuperChargedJ

El Poblano

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Root won't make it anyless secure than it is now......

As a daily Linux user, trust me when I say that Linux is easily more secure than Windows or most other OSs (SE Linux, anyone?). For ex:
When you actually gain root, not every program is allowed root access. People may or may not understand the superuser app, but what it actually does is allow you to regulate what does and does not have root access. The if an app requests roots access you as the user have to allow it, otherwise root access is denied. Thus, the phone isn't any less secure, but just gives you the choice.

Reactions: SuperChargedJ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez