First off, I just wanted to say hi to everyone. I have been a longtime blackberry user (blackberry storm 1, storm 2, tour, and bold 9650). I have my very first Droid, in the form of the X coming on Monday.

When it came to blackberry, I knew all the ins and outs of hybrids and everything else. Now I am all new again and have been reading about the Droid x. My biggest concern is being able to do a full backup of the phone (messages, apps ect) and number 2, being able to remove all the preinstalled apps that verizon and motorola force you to have on the phone.

I have come to see that I must root the device to remove this apps. Can someone please give me the method that would be easiest for someone who is new to the android platform. I already have a list of apps that are safe to remove as well as the ones that shouldn't be removed?

As for backing up the phone, I have seen several posts stating different apps, which one does the best job?

Thanks for taking the time to read and I hope I get some helpful responses!
    10-29-2010 10:42 AM
    It doesn't get much easiest than the "one-click root" methods, like this one for OS 2.2.

As for backing up, a lot of people use Titanium Backup. I've actually recently switched to MyBackup Pro. Either one can backup all your apps and data for an easy restore.

When you want to get into more advanced stuff, check out the XDA forum, which is where a lot of the Android mods are created. Good luck!
    Lonman06 likes this.
    10-29-2010 12:00 PM
    Titanium backup will work for backing up apps. In terms of doing a full (nandroid) backup for your phone, you'll be able to do that using clockworkmod recovery. It is VERY important to do that before messing with anything, or you'll be forced to SBF back to factory if anything goes wrong.
    10-29-2010 12:27 PM
    Titanium backup will work for backing up apps. In terms of doing a full (nandroid) backup for your phone, you'll be able to do that using clockworkmod recovery. It is VERY important to do that before messing with anything, or you'll be forced to SBF back to factory if anything goes wrong.
    Where would I go about getting clockworkmod?
    10-29-2010 12:35 PM
    Where would I go about getting clockworkmod?
    You can download it via the market. Search for Droid X Recovery Bootstrap. This will also allow you to flash custom ROM's, which can be a lot of fun.
    10-29-2010 12:45 PM
    Custom ROM's will let you install a great OS that has had all the verizon junk removed. ROM Manager let's you install them very easily. If you want to look through this thread (below), it gives detailed step by step instructions for how to install a ROM using it.

I too was a Storm 1 and 2 user. You'll love this phone. It does so much more, so much faster than an bb ever will, but keep in mind that it's not a bb. Things work differently. I found it very helpful to search for and watch a number of videos on youtube pertaining to the X. It will get you up and running quickly. Also, I strongly recommend putting LaucherPro on the phone as soon as you activate it. It's so much smoother and faster than the Motorola UI that comes on the phone.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/moto...ys-market.html
    10-29-2010 01:02 PM
    Custom ROM's will let you install a great OS that has had all the verizon junk removed. ROM Manager let's you install them very easily. If you want to look through this thread (below), it gives detailed step by step instructions for how to install a ROM using it.

I too was a Storm 1 and 2 user. You'll love this phone. It does so much more, so much faster than an bb ever will, but keep in mind that it's not a bb. Things work differently. I found it very helpful to search for and watch a number of videos on youtube pertaining to the X. It will get you up and running quickly. Also, I strongly recommend putting LaucherPro on the phone as soon as you activate it. It's so much smoother and faster than the Motorola UI that comes on the phone.

+1 on this. I'm running Rubix Focused 1.0 with Launcher Pro Plus, and the phone is really a whole lot faster than stock. You can also overclock to get a bit more speed, but I prefer to leave it stock speed and undervolt it. Every extra bit of battery life helps!
    10-29-2010 01:04 PM

Can I use launcher pro to hide all those default verizon and motorola apps? Or do you have to root the device to do that?
    10-29-2010 03:09 PM
    Can I use launcher pro to hide all those default verizon and motorola apps? Or do you have to root the device to do that?
    Launcher Pro will make it so that the icon for the bloatware does not appear in the app drawer; however, the programs will still be installed and using memory in the background. You can use Titanium Backup to freeze the programs, so they're not running but are recoverable. You can also use Titanium Backup to back them up, then delete them. The route I chose to go was downloading a custom ROM which flat out removes all of the blur and bloatware, which (in my opinion) really speeds things up. You can choose the option that works best for you.
    10-29-2010 03:36 PM
    Launcher Pro will make it so that the icon for the bloatware does not appear in the app drawer; however, the programs will still be installed and using memory in the background. You can use Titanium Backup to freeze the programs, so they're not running but are recoverable. You can also use Titanium Backup to back them up, then delete them. The route I chose to go was downloading a custom ROM which flat out removes all of the blur and bloatware, which (in my opinion) really speeds things up. You can choose the option that works best for you.
    Where can I get this custom OS?
    10-29-2010 05:21 PM
    If you'll look in that thread that I posted there are step by step instructions.
    10-29-2010 06:18 PM
    Where can I get this custom OS?
    Get Rooted-->Download Droid x bootstrapper-->Download ROM Manager free version-->Download ROM manager paid version-->Run bootstrapper(top button) Download ROM in ROM manager-->Download Theme from ROM manager--> Download Wireless Tether or Baranacle --> Download Titanium Backup.
    ENJOY YOUR DROID X
    10-29-2010 07:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD