I am using the Apex ROM with the next theme. On occasion I try different ROMs and last week I touched the reboot button accidentally after wiping system, cache and data, before install from sdcard. I bricked my phone and needed to spf back to 2.1, go to 2.2 stock, Apex from nandroid etc. It got me to thinking about spf's in general and I have a few questions for which I can't seem to find answers, or the answers I find sometimes seem contradictory.

I have the 30.01 bootloader.

Does any of the spf files out there, 2.1, 2.3.13 system only, 2.3.15OTA actually touch the bootloader? I mean if I flashed from 2.3.9 stock to 2.3.15OTA would my bootloader change to 30.03, needing the validation keys like the OTA upgrade gives you?

If so, which versions would alter the bootloader?

If not, are there any reasons that flashing from one version to another would not work? This is a little extreme but I am curious, if I flashed from 2.3.9 stock to 2.3.15OTA is it possible that I could flash back to version 2.1 if I wanted and the bootloader validation keys are not a factor?

Because I have the 30.01 bootloader, is there any possible reason I should ever OTA? I know I won't have the updates as early as the OTA version, but other than that aren't I better off without another layer of bootloader moto-block and wait for a leaked or ROM version of the updates?

Thanks in advance for any help in making this a little clearer for me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Also, this is off the subject, but for any of you using Apex I tried to install the blurcamera.apk into using the terminal emulator to see if it would fix the panorama mode from FC. I typed :

su
    install burcamera.apk

It said it installed and when I tried it the camera app seemed very jittery. I rebooted and then tried again. The camera and camcorder app FC'd every time I tried to open it. I had to nandroid restore to get my camera to work again. What did I do wrong? thanks!
    11-11-2010 01:58 PM
    The OTA will take you to the .03 bootloader. Roms based off the ota will not change your boot. I was on leaked 2.2 and was running apex with the old boot. I then went to ota and my boot is now .03. You can not got from the 03 boot back to the old one.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    11-11-2010 03:13 PM
    So the 2.3.15 OTA sbf will change the bootloader to 30.03 or the actual OTA will change the bootloader? That is the confusion for me. Does any of the sbf's touch the bootloader??
    11-11-2010 08:21 PM
    I don't think you can use the 2.2 sbf to go from 2.1 to 2.2. You need to be on 2.1 and do the ota. The ota will change you to .03

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    11-11-2010 08:24 PM
    I can make this really simple
    if you have EVER loaded the OTA then you use the 2.2 SBF
    if you have NEVER EVER loaded the OTA then you use the 2.1 SBF
    11-11-2010 11:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD