Droid X Rooting for Noob: Help Please

bmight

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Hello everyone,

So I have looked into rooting and I would really like to root my DX. I am a total noob in the rooting world so please be very direct in your response if you can. so I will admit I am a bit nervous about doing rooting it and I have a few questions before I do it.

1) Everyone says it will void your warranty. What exact warranties are we voiding? I have a damage protection on it and I really do not want to void that.

2) Un-rooting. If I use the one click rooting method can I un-root it easily if rooting is not for me?

3) Is there any extra tips that will help me while actually rooting it or once it is rooted to watch out for so I don't break anything?

Thats all the questions I can think of at the moment. Any answers are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
1. "rooting voids your warranty" basically means that if you somehow brick your phone by doing something that you were able to do because you were rooted, then verizon will tell you youre SOL. as far as the damage protection goes, youll still be covered (though i recommend un-rooting before taking the phone in just in case if you ever need a replacement).

2. most 1 click root methods i have seen also have an unroot method as well.

3. the main tip i can give you as someone that was also nervous about the process once upon a time is understand what you are putting on your phone and how to fix it if you mess something up. if you just want to root for the sake of using some root apps like wireless tether, then youll be fine. if you want to start flashing roms and theming, do your homework, ask questions, and follow instructions to the letter. make backups, download the sbf file on to your computer, CYA basically. we have an awesome community on these forums with a lot of experience with this stuff, so any issue you run into, you can usually find help with

Reactions: bmight

bmight

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
1. "rooting voids your warranty" basically means that if you somehow brick your phone by doing something that you were able to do because you were rooted, then verizon will tell you youre SOL. as far as the damage protection goes, youll still be covered (though i recommend un-rooting before taking the phone in just in case if you ever need a replacement).

2. most 1 click root methods i have seen also have an unroot method as well.

3. the main tip i can give you as someone that was also nervous about the process once upon a time is understand what you are putting on your phone and how to fix it if you mess something up. if you just want to root for the sake of using some root apps like wireless tether, then youll be fine. if you want to start flashing roms and theming, do your homework, ask questions, and follow instructions to the letter. make backups, download the sbf file on to your computer, CYA basically. we have an awesome community on these forums with a lot of experience with this stuff, so any issue you run into, you can usually find help with

Thank you for the great reply. I will probably root my phone tomorrow. What installer would you recommend for my Droid X? As of now I don't think I will get into flashing the Roms or anything. I think I have my old Droid Eris laying around maybe I will try to play with that some with the ROMs. Again thank you for your help and anymore tips from other people would be greatly appreciated!

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
UPDATE: TOOK THE PLUNG AND ALL GOOD.... ANSWERS CAME INSTANTLY AFTER ROOT...
For the record XDA download has unroot script in download so I suggest downloading from source because download appears to have been updated

Ok, I am needing a answer dealing with unrooting Droid X using doroot process from http://forum.androidcentral.com/mot...click-root-your-droid-x-official-2-2-ota.html because it appears that there are different methods to unroot each device or root method. Is there a unroot script for doroot process yet and can I get a list of required apps required for rooting, unrooting, backup and restoring to stock rom if needed.

First I like to thank everyone for all the information on this site but I have flashed large amounts of roms for WM but Android is differently a learning curve for me I cant seem to get around yet.

I usually pick up information pretty fast but I use my device for business purposes and I just want to start experimenting with rooting and customizing my unit and then run into issue and have to investigate resolving, I have been reading forums for months about rooting the Droid X but there is so many explanation of how to do this, how to unroot and the required apps needed to recover from issues. Can someone layout the information needed... I only want the required apps to

1.Root
2.Unroot
3.Backup and restore settings and apps
4.Restore to stock OTA Froyo 2.2 after rooting.

Forgive me for the noob questions but I am looking to get rid of this title soon but I just cant seem to find one source that doesn't differ from post to post.

Last edited: