locked bootloaders and what not

poena

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
i'm not super savvy with all of this so i had some questions.

i'm coming from a original droid that was overclocked and custom rom.

so with all the talk of locked bootloaders on the new series of droids it seems that rooting and running a custom rom is no problem and just as simple as before no?

Or am I missing something here? what does the locked bootloader prevent? or is it all cracked open now?

I recently picked up a samsung fascinate and am not very impressed with it yet. I do like the slimness but that's about it.

javroch

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
It prevents custom kernels.. but for overclocking, you can do it with a kernel module that gets inserted into kernel space and doesn't modify the kernel itself. That's how we do it on the new Droids without new kernels.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
You can flash roms and overclock and all that fun stuff. I still do the same stuff with my X as I did with my droid. The bootloader is no big deal to me.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
All it's preventing, as far as I understand, is a different kernel.

ROM's are still possible and you can overclock with the aforementioned kernel modules.

Not quite as open to the extent that the Droid was, but it's close enough that most of us are content with the Droid X and Droid 2.

There are a couple of overclock apps, SetCPU that's been around for awhile, as well as DX/D2 Overclocker from Unstable Apps and I think I saw another one in the Market for the new Droids.

I do like the Unstable Apps overclocker. The presets are nice and most work fine on my X. It also makes learning to build your own settings really easy.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I think the locked down bootloader offends some who feel like without having total and complete control over their device, they're missing out. I still can't figure out what that total control would actually mean...maybe they can shoot lightning bolts or spidy webs by pressing the search button?

We have root, custom ROMs, and overclocking...I'm thrilled! To tell the truth, the phone is awesome right out of the box.

I guess if you've just got to have access to that bootloader, get a different phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech