Anyone in this area be willing to meet to help me root and put a custom ROM on my DX for the first time? I am a bit nervous about doing this wrong and not being able to recover it. I need this for my job BAD. I also learn way better doing hands on and visually. In exchange, I will provide beverages and nourishment in exchange for what is essentially tutoring me in this process. I live in Flowery Branch and work in Gainesville but am willing to drive a ways to a public establishment we both agree upon. I like all food and drinks known to man but I am a bit of a snob when it comes to beer and coffee. Thank you in advance and Happy Thanksgiving.
    11-24-2010 11:18 PM
    understand that rooting may seem a little daunting, but its actually a pretty simple process. there are many one-click rooting methods available, such as z4root, that are very easy to use, and can root your device easily.

as far as applying custom roms, you would first need the droid x bootstrap app before you can flash anything. you also should probably download the sbf file beforehand as well as a worst case scenario. rom manager is a great app you can use to easily flash roms on to your device. the most important thing to do when flashing custom roms is to make backups (nandroid) of your device before applying a new rom or theme. rom manager helps even more in this case, as it prompts you to make a backup as you are getting ready to install a rom.

there are a ton of threads you can reference on here to help you along. if you get stuck, we have a great rooting community that can probably help you out of most any jam. the biggest thing is to make backups, and follow instructions to the letter, and you probably wont encounter too many major issues.
    gcims likes this.
    11-25-2010 02:01 AM
    @terpitude: Thanks for the great spring board of information to jump from into the world of root. Are there any video clips you know of that will walk you through this type of thing? I have looked at using good forum instructions more than once but held off due to not quite being able to visualize the process, mechanics and order of things. It has something to do with the way I learn and am wired up. Hopefully I can establish a contact out here that will tutor me me. Thanks again for your help.

-gary
    11-25-2010 03:28 PM
    @terpitude: Thanks for the great spring board of information to jump from into the world of root. Are there any video clips you know of that will walk you through this type of thing? I have looked at using good forum instructions more than once but held off due to not quite being able to visualize the process, mechanics and order of things. It has something to do with the way I learn and am wired up. Hopefully I can establish a contact out here that will tutor me me. Thanks again for your help.

-gary
    I don't have any particular links, bit there are a slew of videos you can find on YouTube to help with this process.
    gcims likes this.
    11-25-2010 08:11 PM
    The Z4 Root app is available again in the Market. Search Z4Root. It is incredibly easy to use. Open the app and press, "Permanent Root." The other option, "Temporary" only roots until next re-boot. However, once rooted with the permanent option, you can un-root with one click.

I used this app on multiple devices, DroidX, Droid2, Samsung Epic4G, and Samsung Captivate. Very easy to use. On the D2, Epic4G and one of the Captivates, the app hung a bit during the rooting process. We had to pull the battery on the Epic and D2, but when we tried it a second time, it worked fine.

It really is as easy as installing and app, and pressing "root."
    gcims likes this.
    11-29-2010 07:36 AM
    @ terpitude: yep found a few youtube videos. thanks again.

@.46: that sounds pretty simple. I will look into it. Thank you.
    11-29-2010 08:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD