I am really grateful to this forum and XDA for allowing me to get the most out of an already great phone. Even if I was unrooted and running stock, it would still be a very good phone, but with root, custom roms etc it's fantastic.

I've got a friend that may also be getting a Droid X soon.

I already have root, a custom rom and other nifty tricks/hacks on my phone thanks to this forum. Would it work to create a Clockwork backup of my phone, copy the image to my friend's SD card and load the image. Would my friend's phone automatically have root and would the apps work?

I know he would still support the developers for the apps that he uses and likes, but I am asking primarily to know in order to save time and headaches for my friend.

Is the backup that Clockwork makes able to be transferred to any Droid X or is it tied to the phone that created it?
    12-01-2010 01:37 AM
    I'd think it's better just to start his from scratch and do it the right way.
    12-01-2010 01:45 AM
    I also wanted to know if Clockwork backups could be transferred from phone to phone in case of theft. I have insurance and breaking the phone, while tragic, doesn't bother me as much as the thought of losing both the phone and the SD card inside. Now, I've cloned my SD Card on DVD for safe keeping.

In theory, do you think the Clockwork Mod from my original phone could be transferred to the SD card of the replacement device to create a total copy of the phone I had?

I agree that in the case of my friend, it is better to start from scratch and he probably would at some point, but he's not as adventurous as I am when it comes to trying new things with the phone.

I know certain things like CPU clocking can be very specific to the phone, but I haven't altered the stock CPU settings on my device and probably won't for awhile. I have installed a custom rom and have several rooted apps installed.
    12-01-2010 02:26 AM
    If he's not adventures tell him he can't play. Also good idea keeping a backup ob your computer or dvd but I change and edit daily and would be doing daily backup saves.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    12-01-2010 08:26 AM
    Using your backup to customize your friends unit isn't wise, your backup will restore all your personal information, setting and security settings. I agree its wise to start from scratch and I would not chance the type of issues that can come from a bad root process... Just download z4root which is a very nice simple one click root app.
    12-01-2010 09:29 AM
    Thanks for the information. Using my backup to flash my friend's phone does present some security risks and it won't really save that much time.

I was actually more interested as a way to protect against theft/loss of the SD card. I am hoping that the clockword backups are not MEID/ESN specific so that if I had to get that refurbished replacement from insurance, I could just flash the backup from my old phone.

Hopefully, I'll never have to test this out.
    12-04-2010 08:56 PM
    Thanks for the information. Using my backup to flash my friend's phone does present some security risks and it won't really save that much time.

I was actually more interested as a way to protect against theft/loss of the SD card. I am hoping that the clockword backups are not MEID/ESN specific so that if I had to get that refurbished replacement from insurance, I could just flash the backup from my old phone.

Hopefully, I'll never have to test this out.
    I have restored with a backup using Clockmod Bootstrapper and haven't had issues do I believe you will be OK, this only issue was that I had to root the replacement before restoring but this is obvious because bootstrapper doesn't work unless the device is rooted.
    12-05-2010 09:34 PM
    Yeah...I hear that!

DXmeatclaws via tapatalk
    12-06-2010 01:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD